21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Sound and sensible advice from 911. 👍🏻

·
Registered
116 Posts
One of the best bits is how much more protection they offer for the diamond cut wheels 😎
Notably improved ride quality (comparing same pressures) vs standard tyres too on PS4s (according to my own rear end 😉) and grip is brilliant too in wet and cold (you’d have to be extremely ragged in your driving style for traction control to intervene, on a standard map at least). Went out for a late night (3 degrees C) drive last night “for the heck of it” and was reminded what an ACE car this is...especially on this rubber.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes good tyres are one of the cheapest and best modifications you can do to any car! Better traction,better braking,better cornering and in the Up's case because of the eco tyres a smoother ride plus that added protection for our lovely wheels 😎 it literally is the best money I've ever spent on a car. The Dunlop's we have are great I suspect the Michelin's are a touch better again and will be the next tyre I try if the Dunlop's ever wear out they look brand new still at the moment 👍

·
Registered
116 Posts
The PS4s literally made the difference between keeping the car and not for me...plan to keep a good while now. I think a lot of prospective owners may be put off by all the chat around ride quality, wheel size, traction and suspension - my strong opinion (and I very rarely have one!) is that the tyre change addresses so many of these in the case of this brilliant little car!

I’d say in this case it’s up there with the best money I’ve spent on any car! (A LOT over the years)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed over to the Michelins today and I’m very happy with them so far. Noticeably more grippy than the Goodyears and not worried about understeering off the the road or wincing for every bump. It’s early days so I’ve just set the pressures to 33/31 and will see how it goes. With regards to the expert advice strand of this discussion - The tyre fitters would only set them to the recommended pressures in the door because the tyres were not on their computer system and they weren’t prepared to guess. When I come home they were on 34/32/38/40! Maybe my pressure monitor isn’t accurate!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just to answer simply I have Contis in this size and they are great - I run 32 front 30 rear, but as others have said here 30 front and 28 rear might be even better. Tyre fitters won’t know because there are so many combinations it would be impossible. You’ve already asked the right people! Good upgrade you are doing though and personally if wholly endorse it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The PS4s literally made the difference between keeping the car and not for me...plan to keep a good while now. I think a lot of prospective owners may be put off by all the chat around ride quality, wheel size, lack of grip and suspension - my strong opinion (and I very rarely have one!) is that the tyre change addresses so many of these in the case of this brilliant little car!

I’d say in this case it’s up there with the best money I’ve spent on any car! (A LOT over the years)
This is bang on advice - I agree totally. My wife has a GTi on the Goodyear’s and mine is on contis 205s so I drive them back to back a lot and it is more noticeable than you’d think. These and the exhaust make the car, but if I could only chose one upgrade it would be the tyres every time!

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is bang on advice - I agree totally. My wife has a GTi on the Goodyear’s and mine is on contis 205s so I drive them back to back a lot and it is more noticeable than you’d think. These and the exhaust make the car, but if I could only chose one upgrade it would be the tyres every time!

I think you make sense "Yours Up". Tyres and pressures are the key.All the Suspension kits are a waste of money. I use PS4s now. (205/40/17) I also run at 32/30psi. The Goodyears are also happy at those pressures.I did do some testing as i am lucky enough to have the use of a Race Track where i work. I was only interested in the way it turned-in to each apex and i can assure you guys that higher pressures did not help in any way.In fact the lower pressures allow the tyre's contact patch to work better and naturally improve the ride. So all good on both fronts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It doesn’t seem to be a car too hard on its tyres. Maybe because of the modest power - lots of people are saying the Goodyear’s last ages despite how they are used. Not sure if this will be quite the same with better rubber, but you can afford to experiment with pressures as Ascari says.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I've been running my new PS4's for a few days now at 30/28, as recommended by 911ts3. I can confirm the transformative effect on ride and grip, to the point where I'm convinced that the choice of standard Goodyears with such high recommended pressures was a deliberate ploy by VW to blunt the magazine road testers' praise of the GTI ....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I never really felt that the car felt very safe or predictable on the original tyres but now, after a few days on the PS4s, I’m beginning to be able to test the handling a bit. I’m still on 33/31 but I will try lowering it slightly to see what the fuss is about!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been running my new PS4's for a few days now at 30/28, as recommended by 911ts3. I can confirm the transformative effect on ride and grip, to the point where I'm convinced that the choice of standard Goodyears with such high recommended pressures was a deliberate ploy by VW to blunt the magazine road testers' praise of the GTI ....
Yes I may lower mine to this too - it feels better when it can move around a bit on the tyres and takes the edge of the suspensions shortcomings at times

·
Registered
229 Posts
I will be surprised if you don't like 30 front 28 rear I've been running them like that for months...

Great handling and ride and the front turn in is epic makes it a real go kart 😎

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
When it comes to tyre pressures it's a personal thing tbh. I like my tyres a bit softer and the feel that gives for instance. For the Up i ran the Dunlop at 28/26 in summer and 30/28 in winter, much more than that and they started to feel "hard".
Same for the MX5 tbh. Recommended for that car is 29 all round (50/50 weight balance) but i currently run at 26 all round, again on the Dunlop RT2. I have had them up as hard as 35psi before now just to see what they felt like but in all honesty the car felt "dead".

I would start with what people are saying above then get yourself a good portable compressor (Ring are good), adjust the pressures then jump in the car and go for a drive. Don't forget though PSI will change after/during driving so try and set your pressures at the same point each time to get a comparison.

If you follow the other advice about the tyre fitter then all that will happen is they'll do one of 2 things; first they'll find the sticker on the car and adjust to that or secondly they'll read the sidewall and inflate them to max if they're really stupid.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts