Up Owners Club banner
361 - 380 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
Good move.

I forgot if you mentioned a bigger intercooler or not.....
With more boost, the pressurized air gets even hotter, and a bigger, or at least more efficient, intercooler may be worth it for potential power gains.
Thanks Steve

In the early days of this project I had a cursory look at intercoolers but while there isn't an off the shelf product for the UP GTI, it seems that the OEM charge cooler is adequate for the job even with increasing the power.
If you know of a route to upgrading the cooling i would love to know it.

Cheers

M

·
Registered
707 Posts
Good move leaving the internals alone for now as much as I love your enthusiasm and the build I was starting to worry that you may end up spending the cost of a GT4 in the process 🤑

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
Good move leaving the internals alone for now as much as I love your enthusiasm and the build I was starting to worry that you may end up spending the cost of a GT4 in the process 🤑
Thanks Mark

I think a long term goal of researching an engine swap is more appealing than changed internals.

But that would be quite some time away.

M

·
Registered
Up gti
105 Posts
Good move.

I forgot if you mentioned a bigger intercooler or not.....
With more boost, the pressurized air gets even hotter, and a bigger, or at least more efficient, intercooler may be worth it for potential power gains.
Is there such a thing as i
Yes if you are really going to chuck money at it a monster engine swap would appear to make more sense
There is a guy in the process of putting a 2.0 polo engine in an up, I’m watching with bated breathe as would love a sleeper in the future. I love my remapped up, but I always have that worry it’s a 1.0 litre, I try not to flog it too much and not at all in first or second.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The car will be fine it's not got full power or torque in the 1st 2 gears in my opinion... it would wheelspin way more if it did as long as you aren't giving it 4000 rpm and sidestepping the clutch it's all good 👍

·
Registered
Up gti
105 Posts
The car will be fine it's not got full power or torque in the 1st 2 gears in my opinion... it would wheelspin way more if it did as long as you aren't giving it 4000 rpm and sidestepping the clutch it's all good 👍
Thanks mucker :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
Hi Folks

Just had a clear out today of garage and home and put my hands on the diff & modified ARP bolts plus the crown wheel...

I have now defined Stage 1 of my project.

JRZ RS PRO 3 (expected soon)

Front wishbones with uni-ball fittings

Rear chassis bearings with Uni-ball fittings

Quaife differential

Lightened flywheel.

Negative camber plates (expected soon)

Toe in/out plates (expected soon)

FYI I am planning to have the JBS rear disk brake conversion.

I haven't been able to sell my 15 inch tyres........nobody wants them😓 so I think I will keep them for now and when the organ harvesting company buys my remaining kidney I will purchase some Volk TE37 SL 15 inch wheels :love:

Stay tuned.......

Micky

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
Hi Folks

I didn't know that you can buy 109 RON fuel.......:unsure:. Apparently it gives 5% extra power:unsure: and it comes in 40 litre drums which would fill my fuel tank plus a 5 litre fuel can:unsure: So I wouldn't have to store it in my garage and risk blowing up the neighbour's Ford Mondeo:unsure: And I wonder how the car would perform with the 109 RON plus water / methanol injection :unsure:...............mmmmmm:unsure:

Stay tuned..

Micky

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Hi Folks

Just had a clear out today of garage and home and put my hands on the diff & modified ARP bolts plus the crown wheel...

I have now defined Stage 1 of my project.

JRZ RS PRO 3 (expected soon)

Front wishbones with uni-ball fittings

Rear chassis bearings with Uni-ball fittings

Quaife differential

Lightened flywheel.

Negative camber plates (expected soon)

Toe in/out plates (expected soon)

FYI I am planning to have the JBS rear disk brake conversion.

I haven't been able to sell my 15 inch tyres........nobody wants them😓 so I think I will keep them for now and when the organ harvesting company buys my remaining kidney I will purchase some Volk TE37 SL 15 inch wheels :love:

Stay tuned.......

Micky
I can't see the JBS Rear Disc Conversion listed on their site, but I'll wager my kit is a lower price than theirs. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Hi Folks

I didn't know that you can buy 109 RON fuel.......:unsure:. Apparently it gives 5% extra power:unsure: and it comes in 40 litre drums which would fill my fuel tank plus a 5 litre fuel can:unsure: So I wouldn't have to store it in my garage and risk blowing up the neighbour's Ford Mondeo:unsure: And I wonder how the car would perform with the 109 RON plus water / methanol injection :unsure:...............mmmmmm:unsure:

Stay tuned..

Micky
It illegal to store fuel at home in greater than 20 litre drums and no more than 30 litres total. Also, no-one will have created a map for your car to run on significantly higher octane fuel, so you'll need to give your car to a remapping company for a period of time for them to do development on it, and then what happens when you can't get hold of the race fuel for some reason and have to chuck some 'regular' petrol in? It's going to run quite poorly.

Plus, the gains from higher octane fuel are 'tiny'. Its for competiive edge in motorsport, its not really a cost to benefit scenario for what is mostly going to be a road car.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
It illegal to store fuel at home in greater than 20 litre drums and no more than 30 litres total. Also, no-one will have created a map for your car to run on significantly higher octane fuel, so you'll need to give your car to a remapping company for a period of time for them to do development on it, and then what happens when you can't get hold of the race fuel for some reason and have to chuck some 'regular' petrol in? It's going to run quite poorly.

Plus, the gains from higher octane fuel are 'tiny'. Its for competiive edge in motorsport, its not really a cost to benefit scenario for what is mostly going to be a road car.
Hi there

Thanks for your response to my post.

What I was trying to point out was that given that the fuel tank holds 35 litres and a standard petrol can holds 5 litres, I could purchase a drum of 40 litres fuel and not have to store it which obviously comes with restrictions and risks.

A full tank probably lasts me 3 to 4 weeks at the moment, but if I was to take the car on holiday for example, it would be challenging to re-fuel the car using the same octane fuel.

My leaning is towards a water / methanol injection kit which would bring many of the benefits of higher octane fuel without the inconvenience factors.

Cheers

micky

361 - 380 of 406 Posts