Up Owners Club banner
381 - 400 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
I can't see the JBS Rear Disc Conversion listed on their site, but I'll wager my kit is a lower price than theirs. ;)
Hi there

JBS told me about the rear disk conversion in a phone chat.

I would be interested to find out more about your product (y)

Thanks

M

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi there

Thanks for your response to my post.

What I was trying to point out was that given that the fuel tank holds 35 litres and a standard petrol can holds 5 litres, I could purchase a drum of 40 litres fuel and not have to store it which obviously comes with restrictions and risks.

A full tank probably lasts me 3 to 4 weeks at the moment, but if I was to take the car on holiday for example, it would be challenging to re-fuel the car using the same octane fuel.

My leaning is towards a water / methanol injection kit which would bring many of the benefits of higher octane fuel without the inconvenience factors.

Cheers

micky
We've been round the houses with this before. Shakotan is right, and I pointed you to the relevant restrictions here: mickyboy's up! GTI thread

You are arguably still "storing" fuel at home if you receive the drum at home and then 30 seconds later dispense it into your car's fuel tank. In any event the HSE page is pretty clear:

"
Can I dispense petrol into the tank of my vehicle, boat or airplane at my home, club or my association?
Yes, provided you have a licence to store petrol at your premises issued by your local Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA). Your local PEA can issue you with a licence if you are storing more than 275 litres of petrol, and the licence can include conditions relating to your storage and dispensing arrangements.

If you do not have a licence to store petrol, you should not dispense petrol into the tank of vehicle with an internal combustion engine, either by manual or electrical means.

"

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Hi there

Thanks for your response to my post.

What I was trying to point out was that given that the fuel tank holds 35 litres and a standard petrol can holds 5 litres, I could purchase a drum of 40 litres fuel and not have to store it which obviously comes with restrictions and risks.

A full tank probably lasts me 3 to 4 weeks at the moment, but if I was to take the car on holiday for example, it would be challenging to re-fuel the car using the same octane fuel.

My leaning is towards a water / methanol injection kit which would bring many of the benefits of higher octane fuel without the inconvenience factors.

Cheers

micky
How are the logistics going to work? You have to be certain that the fuel delivery will arrive on the exact day you need to refuel, otherwise you're going to have to park up the car when empty until the fuel arrives. Also, what are you going to do with the empty fuel drum? You can't store it, you'd have to immediately take it to a scrapyard after fuelling up.

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Hi there

JBS told me about the rear disk conversion in a phone chat.

I would be interested to find out more about your product (y)

Thanks

M
It's been posted on here before, but here is the link.

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Probably be getting your kit soon, what are the callipers off mate, ie are they vw parts like a lupo? Thanks
Hi Emmet,

The kit is a mixture of VAG and custom-made parts. There isn't everything needed available as a direct fit from VW unfortunately. Calipers are from the PQ34 platform, and discs/pads are Lupo GTI.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Hi Folks

Part of my schedule for my project is to replace the front seats with Tillet carbon fibre front seats and remove the rear seats!

This would create an opportunity to sell both front and rear seats to my UP GTI. Is there a market to sell these and does anybody have an idea what they would fetch?

Stay tuned.......

Micky

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Hi Folks

Part of my schedule for my project is to replace the front seats with Tillet carbon fibre front seats and remove the rear seats!

This would create an opportunity to sell both front and rear seats to my UP GTI. Is there a market to sell these and does anybody have an idea what they would fetch?

Stay tuned.......

Micky
Hi Folks

Has anybody got an idea what a set of front / rear seats would weigh?

Approximates would be helpful :)

Thanks

M

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
How are the logistics going to work? You have to be certain that the fuel delivery will arrive on the exact day you need to refuel, otherwise you're going to have to park up the car when empty until the fuel arrives. Also, what are you going to do with the empty fuel drum? You can't store it, you'd have to immediately take it to a scrapyard after fuelling up.
Thanks for this.

Yes, its a logistical burden.

I have opted for a Fuel Octane Additive.

M

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mickyboy you can weigh them for us when you take them out would be interesting to know
I reckon your 60kg guess is pretty good. I have taken all my seats out when dynamatting the bodyshell, didn't weigh them but I reckon about 20kg each for the fronts and 20kg total for the rear bench and upright pieces is about right. Very light by modern car standards. Back still isn't right from lifting Caravelle seats...

381 - 400 of 406 Posts