Up Owners Club banner
461 - 480 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Surely there must be a wheel that tickles your fancy from a UK supplier ?
It would be so much easier .
Same with your tyre purchase .

·
Registered
423 Posts
VOLK RACING WHEEL UPDATE

Hi Folks

You perhaps know from a post I made some time ago that I ordered a set of VOLK CE28N Club Racer wheels from Negun in Japan. N.B THIS IS THE ORIGINAL CLUB RACER, NOT THE MORE RECENT CLUB RACER 2 MODEL.

I actually changed the order from 15 inch to 16inch wheels.

I occasionally send Nengun an email to request an update on a potential delivery and they politely ask me to be patient.

However, according to the Nengun website, the CE28N Club Racer is showing as 'DISCONTINUED'. Alarmed at this notification I emailed them yesterday and received a response this morning! They are hearing that much older orders than mine for Volk wheels are being cancelled by the factory. Nengun admit to being confused and are looking into the matter on my behalf....:(.

It seems to me that Volk are a very unusual company with really poor communications with their dealers. From digging around on the internet, I can see many people having to wait 4, 5, and 6 months + to receive their wheels from Volk Racing!!

I invite comments

Micky
I could never wait that long for a set of wheels. If I could I would not leave any deposits in case the company was to cease trading or go bust. ( My daughter is an insolvency layer hence my caution )

Surely there are alternatives ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I could never wait that long for a set of wheels. If I could I would not leave any deposits in case the company was to cease trading or go bust. ( My daughter is an insolvency layer hence my caution )

Surely there are alternatives ?
There are definitely alternatives, I'm a bit puzzled also. For example, I'd be dealing with rayswheels uk or driftworks for starters just so I'd be dealing with a UK supplier?

T

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
There are definitely alternatives, I'm a bit puzzled also. For example, I'd be dealing with rayswheels uk or driftworks for starters just so I'd be dealing with a UK supplier?

T
Hi Tom

I went for nengun in Japan because there was a massive discount on the wheels and even with the shipping costs there was a good overall saving on the costs!

M

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Tom

I went for nengun in Japan because there was a massive discount on the wheels and even with the shipping costs there was a good overall saving on the costs!

M
Fair doos can't argue with that. I remember when I was buying wheels even the UK based shops had hardly any stock and were quoting at least a month for delivery (coming from Germany). I think wheels are generally just a pinch point.

The ol' Suez Canal blockage backlog is apparently still causing delays from that side of the globe aswell so yeah just have to be patient I guess.

It'll be worth it though 🤩

·
Registered
Up gti
110 Posts
The above is what the Brazilian tuner sent to me online, as i said to you before mate I would be asking advice from such people that run these cars at over 250 bhp, they seem to know there stuff. Look him up on Instagram and follow those he has clips off, they seem to have tuned their ups to a lot higher degree than anyone here in the U.K.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
Fair doos can't argue with that. I remember when I was buying wheels even the UK based shops had hardly any stock and were quoting at least a month for delivery (coming from Germany). I think wheels are generally just a pinch point.

The ol' Suez Canal blockage backlog is apparently still causing delays from that side of the globe aswell so yeah just have to be patient I guess.

It'll be worth it though 🤩
Hi Tom

I hadn't factored the Suez blockage into the delay.......:unsure:. That makes sense!

M

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
The above is what the Brazilian tuner sent to me online, as i said to you before mate I would be asking advice from such people that run these cars at over 250 bhp, they seem to know there stuff. Look him up on Instagram and follow those he has clips off, they seem to have tuned their ups to a lot higher degree than anyone here in the U.K.
Hiya

Thanks for that (y)

From what he's saying I should be looking at forged rods!

M

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #476 ·
It'll be loud with the valve open! Remind me - how do you operate the valve? Manual cable or electric?
Hi Steve

Basically electronically . If I understand correctly, to comply with (German?) regulations the exhaust is designed to only open the valve at a preset speed but it can be overridden using a remote control. There is a large bag of cables, gizmos and what not that somebody (not me :D) will have to figure out!

BTW.......JRZ have been given an ultimatum today. A completion date or a full refund............😤

Cheers
Micky

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Hi Tom

M
Presumably that's factoring in Duty and VAT when they arrive in the UK?

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Hiya

Thanks for that (y)

From what he's saying I should be looking at forged rods!

M
You won't need forged rods for <200bhp, there's already several GTIs in the UK running 180-190bhp with stock internals without issues. Honestly going over 200bhp you're going to run out of chassis fairly quickly and then any small increments in performance are going to be hideously expensive.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
I've said it once and I'll say it again.

You should either go down the well tread path of "stage 3" and take the 180ish hp or if you want more than that you'll be best to engine swap....and my vote is for a VR6 😍 because it sounds amazing and is a super common swap in the retro VW scene so should have plenty of literature out there.

Of course you could do one then the other if you have money/time to burn 🙂
He wants a really fast, well handling up, in which case the VR6 is the WORST suggestion. Too heavy, not particularly powerful, and will make the up! handle terrible. The only thing a VR6 is good for is the noise.

461 - 480 of 496 Posts