Up Owners Club banner
481 - 496 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
You won't need forged rods for <200bhp, there's already several GTIs in the UK running 180-190bhp with stock internals without issues. Honestly going over 200bhp you're going to run out of chassis fairly quickly and then any small increments in performance are going to be hideously expensive.
Thanks I agree

JBS did as much as confirm what you have stated.

M

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
Hi Folks

VAD design who are handling the JRZ RS PRO 3 custom suspension have blasted JRZ for their lateness on this project. Apparently the factory in Holland was closed for the whole of August due to holidays and there were numerous outsourced engineered parts which they were waiting with unusually long lead times!

However I am informed that the suspension will be completed end of next week and JRZ have kindly supplied these images of my suspension as it looks right now!

Fingers crossed!

Stay tuned........

Micky

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
It'll be loud with the valve open! Remind me - how do you operate the valve? Manual cable or electric?
It looks to be a pneumatic actuated valve to me. Maybe a connection to the engines vacuum system via a solenoid controlled electronically.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
It looks to be a pneumatic actuated valve to me. Maybe a connection to the engines vacuum system via a solenoid controlled electronically.
Hiya

I have displayed the contents of a bag which accompanied the exhaust.

Micky

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
He wants a really fast, well handling up, in which case the VR6 is the WORST suggestion. Too heavy, not particularly powerful, and will make the up! handle terrible. The only thing a VR6 is good for is the noise.
I've never actually looked into the specs of the VR6 engine before now (never had a need to) I was just under the impression it must be reasonae because it's a v6...but wow apparently less that 200hp standard? That's disappointing 😕.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hiya

I have displayed the contents of a bag which accompanied the exhaust.

Micky
The silver object near bottom left is a pneumatic actuator, like used on secondary air systems etc. One pipe will be connected to the valve on your new exhaust, the other will connect to the source of vacuum or air pressure (presumably the intake manifold or vac pump). On the back of the silver actuator is a small black part to let fresh air in to allow the exhaust valve to change back.

The electrical plug on this actuator will probably go to some kind of control unit, which in turn looks like it connects to the vehicles standard OBD plug (the dark blue connector in the picture).

·
Registered
Up gti
110 Posts
Micky, does this mean the exhaust can be totally civilised and if wanted be a complete asbo? I’m looking one I can turn off when on motorway? Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
Micky, does this mean the exhaust can be totally civilised and if wanted be a complete asbo? I’m looking one I can turn off when on motorway? Thanks.
Hi again

Yes, I believe the Bull X system gives full control of the valve open / close function. But in Germany there is legislation about having open valves in built up areas / low speeds so to comply, manufacturers have to build in a "default" operating system which operates within speed parameters. Obviously someone can override this but risk prosecution!

If you need 100% confirmation that this is the case I suggest you cut and paste my paragraph above into an email to HG Motorsports Germany and ask if they can confirm / amend this understanding.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
The silver object near bottom left is a pneumatic actuator, like used on secondary air systems etc. One pipe will be connected to the valve on your new exhaust, the other will connect to the source of vacuum or air pressure (presumably the intake manifold or vac pump). On the back of the silver actuator is a small black part to let fresh air in to allow the exhaust valve to change back.

The electrical plug on this actuator will probably go to some kind of control unit, which in turn looks like it connects to the vehicles standard OBD plug (the dark blue connector in the picture).
Hi there

Thanks for your helpful explanations. It will be amazing having 2 different modes!

As a confirmed insomniac, I often find myself in the early hours of the morning driving out to a 24 Hour supermarket. The "comfort mode" will be appreciated by the other residents in my building :p

Micky

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
AN OLD CRANK............HOLDING AN OLD CRANK!!!

Some time ago, when I was looking at stroking the engine, I ordered this 2nd hand crankshaft from Germany.

It arrived today! All I can do now is make engineering related gags......:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Bearing in mind, that in the main, you haven't been shafted, it's best to keep writing the journal as a counterbalance to bore-dom....

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I thank you!!
My real-life friends (all two of them) normally just say "shut the f up with the sad puns", so you are a nicer person....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
UPDATE

Hi Folks

Next week should be a very good week!

I am expecting the hybrid turbocharger (with added heat shield) and the JRZ suspension.

I will provide images and further details as and when.

My patience is wearing thin with Volk Wheels regarding the outstanding order of CE28 Club Racer rims. There has been a flurry of emails between myself and Nengun in Japan.

Their website shows this model of wheel as DISCONTINUED but the main Rays Wheels website shows them as still available. :unsure:.

I have asked Nengun to make deeper enquiries to Volk and potentially may swap to TE37 Super Lap wheels.

Stay tuned...........

Micky

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Who hve you got lined up for remapping?

The turbo wil do nothing on its own unless you get a new map flashed to the ECU.

481 - 496 of 496 Posts