Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAVING NOW HIT 1000 MILES AFTER 3WEEKS OWNERSHIP, what mpg should I be getting ? real mpg not what the handbook says. I only use Shell best unleaded it costs 5p per litre more, I did 480 miles on a full tank till the emergency light came, I calculated that was 76 mpg, only rural driving never going above 3000 rpm 80% on duel carriageways doing a steady 55-60 mph, I never exceed the speedlimits and always turn off the engine at traffic lights, what mpg are others doing and what fuel, my last car I changed to this more expensive fuel but got about 5-10 miles more mpg coupled with a more speed awareness, If I want speed I use my motorbike ! (it does always 45mpg however hard I thrash it)
Ian

·
Registered
727 Posts
wrentham said:
HAVING NOW HIT 1000 MILES AFTER 3WEEKS OWNERSHIP, what mpg should I be getting ? real mpg not what the handbook says. I only use Shell best unleaded it costs 5p per litre more
Don't waste your money on more expensive higher octain fuel, it will have zero effect on your millage!

·
Registered
587 Posts
High octane fuel will make little to no difference on a small low performance engine as in the up! Doubt it will improve mpg either. As for mpg there are lots of threads on the subject, but around 50mpg seems to be the number most people seem to hit as an average.

·
Registered
811 Posts
wrentham said:
If I want speed I use my motorbike ! (it does always 45mpg however hard I thrash it)Ian

It may not be as fast as a bike but the Up will also always do 45mpg however hard you thrash it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That sounds a challenge! If it wasn't my car, and I didn't have to pay for the fuel, I reckon I could get it in the 20s :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Davec86 said:
That sounds a challenge! If it wasn't my car, and I didn't have to pay for the fuel, I reckon I could get it in the 20s :D
Drive everywhere in first gear with the handbrake on?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That would for sure do the clutch in as well as the economy.
Just flat out, every change at 6k and you'd soon put a dent in 45mpg.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Fair enough, but take the Up out for a good legal (ish) blast over a mountain road and you'll get 45mpg as well as having great fun.

·
Registered
705 Posts
76 mpg is very good, so I wouldn't complain about it. I can usually get high forties for my short journeys. For an experiment, to see if there is a real-world difference, try a tank of the bog-standard Shell unleaded and then see how far that will take you, driving in a similar fashion.

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts