Up Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone have a milltek resonated exhaust in the Aberdeen area that I could have a listen to before I decide on which one to fit ?

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've got the road + on mine and hopefully away to fit the non-res centre section this weekend.
Road + is fine, but just feel its still not got enough of a 'note'. The drone might be too much but as i have it, its worth a try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got the road + on mine and hopefully away to fit the non-res centre section this weekend.
Road + is fine, but just feel its still not got enough of a 'note'. The drone might be too much but as i have it, its worth a try.
I was trying to decide between Road+ and non res, so thank you for this!

·
Banned
645 Posts
It's not the possible excessive sound owners should be concerned about, it's the emission figures after the exhaust is installed that will determine whether our cars will pass its mot in a few years.

I discussed this at some length with my garage owner, who because he is the owner and sole proprietor of his own business, that also carries out MOTs, he is sometimes over figilant in the cars he puts through the dreaded test.

He said the only time he would actually fail a car is if it did not meet the required emissions levels for that particular model.

As for excessive noise, there is nothing in the current Mot legislation to say a car that sounds rather sporty due to its removal of the resonator, must fail its mot, a car has to be so excessively loud as to cause concern, before it will fail its mot, but if it still meets the required emissions levels, and retains the legally required catylists, then it could still pass.

If that particular exhaust meets the required emissions for that vehicle, then only the removal of the catalytic converter from the system will count as a fail.

He named two powerful vehicles in the Llandudno locality, one a Ferrai and the other a Dodge Viper V10.

Their exhaust note compared to most performance vehicles sounded unnecessarily loud, but because they met the required emission standard, they would pas their Mot.

All three Milltek exhaust systems from the non resonated model to the fully resonated version, meet current uk emissions standards for the Up models they were designed for., as they all utilise the twin catalysts fitted to the Up Gti.

Some owners may find the excessive drone from the non resonated system a bit excessive for daily basis, but it still remains road legal, and it's very unlikely you will be stopped by the traffic police if you fitted the system.

An exhaust has to be so noisy to warrant an Mot fail, and even though the non resonated Milltek system gives out a fairly loud exhaust note, it remains road legal, and due to its design will meet current emissions standards for the Up models.

It then all comes down to how much noise an owner is willing to put up with.

Do they want a deathly silent car, or a car that sounds sporty.

It's up to the owner, as all Milltek systems for the Up Gti conform to the required emissions standards, so will not fail its Mot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's not the possible excessive sound owners should be concerned about, it's the emission figures after the exhaust is installed that will determine whether our cars will pass its mot in a few years.

I discussed this at some length with my garage owner, who because he is the owner and sole proprietor of his own business, that also carries out MOTs, he is sometimes over figilant in the cars he puts through the dreaded test.

He said the only time he would actually fail a car is if it did not meet the required emissions levels for that particular model.

As for excessive noise, there is nothing in the current Mot legislation to say a car that sounds rather sporty due to its removal of the resonator, must fail its mot.

If that particular exhaust meets the required emissions for that vehicle, then only the removal of the catalytic converter from the system will count as a fail.

He named two powerful vehicles in the Llandudno locality, one a Ferrai and the other a Dodge Viper V10.

Their exhaust note compared to most performance vehicles sounded unnecessarily loud, but because they met the required emission standard, they would pas their Mot.

All three Milltek exhaust systems from the non resonated model to the fully resonated version, meet current uk emissions standards for the Up models they were designed for., as they all utilise the twin catalysts fitted to the Up Gti.

Some owners may find the excessive drone from the non resonated system a bit excessive for daily basis, but it still remains road legal, and it's very unlikely you will be stopped by the traffic police if you fitted the system.

An exhaust has to be so noisy to warrant an Mot fail, and even though the non resonated Milltek system gives out a fairly loud exhaust note, it remains road legal, and due to its design will meet current emissions standards for the Up models.

It then all comes down to how much noise an owner is willing to put up with.

Do they want a deathly silent car, or a car that sounds sporty.

It's up to the owner, as all Milltek systems for the Up Gti conform to the required emissions standards, so will not fail its Mot.

Okay so the purpose of your post was what exactly? I appreciate the point you're trying to make is that volume has no bearing on MOT tests, it's only the emissions... but you've also stated in the exact same post that all Milltek systems are fine... so ultimately it comes down to the owner's desired volume, if you will. So am I right in saying that your post contributes exactly nothing to this thread? ;) :grin:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Okay so the purpose of your post was what exactly? I appreciate the point you're trying to make is that volume has no bearing on MOT tests, it's only the emissions... but you've also stated in the exact same post that all Milltek systems are fine... so ultimately it comes down to the owner's desired volume, if you will. So am I right in saying that your post contributes exactly nothing to this thread? ;) :grin:
It's cat-back so will make ZERO difference to the emissions.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the Milltek non res and the sound is great apart from the drone on the motorway which unfortunately I use on a daily basis, I've got sound insulation from fleabay on its way from China for £8 so hopefully that will kill the drone enough that its bearable.

·
Banned
645 Posts
In my long winded essay, I was trying to explain that all three Milltek exhausts for either the 90 TSi or Gti models, are road legal.

Some on the forum seem afraid of the non resonated exhaust, thinking possibly, it's too loud and not suited for road use, that's certainly how I was when trying to figure out which system to buy.

There are very few good videos out there, showing just how loud the non resonated system is in daily use.
Most of the videos are for the Road+ system, and there's few for the louder non resonated system.

I have no issues in how loud the system is for my GTi, my only concern is whether it remains legal for road use, and meets the emission standards for my car, and I have been assured by those in the know, that it does.

It's by far the best value, if owners are on a tight budget, as mine cost me just over £300 delivered.

It's all dependant on how much noise owners are willing to accept in daily driving.

All the non resonated system does, is remove the long cylindrical resonator from the exhaust system.

The exhaust is certainly louder, but still conforms to the strict EURO 6 emissions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t really want it to much louder, so I might be better with the resonated

·
Banned
645 Posts
I was told by the customer service at Milltek, that the full resonated system would almost make the system totally quiet, and remove just about all the noise from the exhaust.

The reason it's sold, is that a lot of their customers wanted a direct full stainless steel replacement for the standard mild steel system, with no boy racer associated noise.

I recon the Road + system would be the answer, as its sounds slightly throatier than the current system, but no where near as loud as the non resonated system.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there ant drone with the road +

·
Banned
645 Posts
I believe the Road + system is the nearest system to the standard VW exhaust.
Slightly noisier, but due to the use of a specially balanced resonated middle box, it's probably the ideal system for those wanting a sportier exhaust note, without going for the outright noise and drone of a system with no noise resonator.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was told by the customer service at Milltek, that the full resonated system would almost make the system totally quiet, and remove just about all the noise from the exhaust.

The reason it's sold, is that a lot of their customers wanted a direct full stainless steel replacement for the standard mild steel system, with no boy racer associated noise.

I recon the Road + system would be the answer, as its sounds slightly throatier than the current system, but no where near as loud as the non resonated system.
If somebody at Milltek has said that then they are talking utter rubbish. I have the resonated system and it is certainly a lot louder than the stock system. Whilst I would never say that it is a loud system, there is definitely a lot more noise over stock.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe the Road + system is the nearest system to the standard VW exhaust.
Slightly noisier, but due to the use of a specially balanced resonated middle box, it's probably the ideal system for those wanting a sportier exhaust note, without going for the outright noise and drone of a system with no noise resonator.
This isn't correct. The resonated system would be closest to VW standard but even that is slightly louder.

Also, it's worth pointing out that in my opinion (and I know without actual measurements this is subjective) the Road+ system DOES drone between 2.4k - 2.6k. Sadly this is right around 60-65mph in 6th gear, so a very common speed you'd be sat at for longer periods.

I would definitely recommend you see if you can have a drive of a car fitted with a Road+ vs Resonated and make your own mind up.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me why they do not test an engineer systems to avoid that, it is not exactly difficult either.

Scorpion revised their system based on my initial feedback that there was some at typical speed limits where you would sit, I say revised they just decided tor engineer it in its entirety.

You end up with a car that moves away from why you bought it in the first place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got the resonated system fitted today and it is a louder system than the standard VW OEM one. It’s more subtle, which I like, but it is growly enough for me so if you want a bit more depth of sound without sounding like a badly modded fiesta ST then this is the grown up version. I would broadly say:
Resonated = ages 40 - 50
Road Plus = ages 30 - 39
Non Res = ages 20 - 29
(This is how old people will think the driver might be when they hear the car coming)...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question with regards to any of the exhaust systems from Milltek (I am new to this): what is the installation process like? Is it literally taking off the original and slipping the new one on, or does it require modifications such as drilling/sawing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got the resonated system fitted today and it is a louder system than the standard VW OEM one. It’s more subtle, which I like, but it is growly enough for me so if you want a bit more depth of sound without sounding like a badly modded fiesta ST then this is the grown up version. I would broadly say:
Resonated = ages 40 - 50
Road Plus = ages 30 - 39
Non Res = ages 20 - 29
(This is how old people will think the driver might be when they hear the car coming)...
Yoursup/jcb/c87b. This is the most informative thread on the milltek to date. I’ve booked my chariot in with amd for a new pipe. I went for the resonated in ti. Reason being it sounds like it will have a more fruity note as I can’t be popping, bangin & vibing down the road at my age, those days are ova bruv. So it’s on B14’s with a remap, just gotta wear these dodgy tyres out. Respec.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts