Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look really good but I think with the Jacara cloth and runners etc they will be closer to £2000

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The car looks great, but at £20,000 there are better options.
Their remap at £250 would be worth a look though.
The Up GTi is good because it is (or was) a performance car bargain at around £13,000.
Sure it’s not perfect or a “proper” GTi, as has been discussed on here, but at the price you could forgive it.

At £20,000 the car becomes too expensive for what it is.

·
Registered
635 Posts
£20k is a fair old whack; definitely better ways to spend it, imo of course. That would make the cost of their mods pretty much the same as I paid for my new Honda CB650R bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The article isn't very accurate the remap is discounted to £350 at the moment that and the tyres are the best value options I think

·
Registered
147 Posts
If I had spent that amount of money increasing power and noise and still couldn’t crack 0-60 in under 8 seconds I’d be somewhat embarrassed ?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
The car looks great, but at £20,000 there are better options.
Their remap at £250 would be worth a look though.
The Up GTi is good because it is (or was) a performance car bargain at around £13,000.
Sure it’s not perfect or a “proper” GTi, as has been discussed on here, but at the price you could forgive it.

At £20,000 the car becomes too expensive for what it is.
It's not 'their' remap, it's from JBS Auto Designs, and it's more like £350, not £250.

·
Banned
645 Posts
The only issue i could see, in remapping the 1 Litre engine to roughly 140Hp, is that the whole suspension chassi set up would not be able to cope with the extra power.

My fiat Abarth, had nearly 184hp, from its small 1.4L engine, and even when i had lowered the suspension to its safe limit, installed the larger Brembo big brake set up, and had installed front and rear DNA sway bars, the car still felt like a wild stallion being ridden for the first time.

The acceleration was savage, and there was simply no way i could explore the safe limit of the car, without killing myself.

There is a particularly steep hill of around two miles, called the Crimea pass, going towards Blaenau Festiniog from the Bettws Y Coed side of the A470.

On one occasion, when i felt brave enough, my Abarth was doing nearly 90mph, and still accelerating hard, up this steep hill.

Simply too much power in a small package.

There is simply no issues with the Up Gti, and even though it only has a relatively small amount of power with its 115hp, its more than enough for the kind of motoring and driving the car is designed for.

No doubt, 140hp would be fine for some owners, but i recon the whole car set up would need changing to cope with that power increase.

larger brakes, better tyre and suspension set up.

One might as well buy one of the other hot hatches, such as a Fiesta ST, more expensive than the Up, but far more power, and better handling.

·
Banned
645 Posts
The Up Gti has more than enough power for the chassi and suspension set up.

The stage 1 remap, would boost the power to possibly 140hp or even a little more.

Then the car would need a better braking system, a more compliant suspension set up, and far better tyres than the Good Years can offer.

The Abarth 695 i just got rid off, had close on 185hp from its small 1.4L turbo engine, and even when i beefed up the already excellent brakes, and installed front and back DNA suspension parts, the acceleration and power was at times down right dangerous for the size of car.

Is it any wonder, EVo magazine, Auto Express, What Car magazine, and countless others, are so in love with the Up Gti, even when compared with far more powerful exotic machinery.

This small city car, has just the right amount of power from its tiny 1 Litre engine, and Vws R division have tailored the whole suspension package to the amount of power on offer.

Increase the power significantly, then the Gti will not handle as sweetly as it does.

If Vw had thought it needed more poke they would have done so.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I agree!

said this before on a different thread (that the Up GTi has enough power for what it is, and increasing the power will overwhelm the chassis)

But l got shouted down and ridiculed. I stand by what l said though.
The Up GTi is a balanced package as standard, and dumping a wedge of extra power through it will likely highlight the budget chassis/suspension/brakes.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The Up GTi is a balanced package as standard, and dumping a wedge of extra power through it will likely highlight the budget chassis/suspension/brakes.
Tbh you'd be surprised, 140bhp and a decent map are not beyond the capability of the engine or brakes. It's not that big of a hike in power, mine mapped at over 120bhp stock so the increase was less than 20bhp. The main difference was the way it delivered that power and the relationship to the throttle pedal.

The big thing about the Up though is the rear suspension and when you get up to a decent like (say 70 plus) and ask it to do anything then the back end loses its way. Front is fine and will track quite nicely but the back doesn't ever feel planted, or at least that was my findings and one of my main reason for selling on because it didn't suit me. Stick to slower speed stuff and it's fine, fun even and capable of embarrassing far more potent machines (220bhp Corsa VXR owner, i'm looking at you) because around the twisty stuff the power is less of an issue.
So yes Mr Lightning you are correct in saying that the extra power shows up the chassis but only because you will normally be travelling quicker over the same ground. Between that and the traction control which seems to cut in at just the wrong point it can become overwhelmed quite easily. Going down the back roads in France at a decent lick and you can feel the back dancing and the TC cutting in all the time which is neither confidence inspiring or fun. Slow down on the same roads and just cruise around and it's fine, there's just a very clear point that the car is happy at.

But the main let-down from stock if you were going to give it more power and as Milltek said is the god-awful Goodyear tyres. I'd hate to try and put 140bhp through those.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Didn’t you upgrade your springs and shocks though? That would improve matters a fair bit over the budget standard kit.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think anyone is going to suddenly die with an extra 20 bhp....

The brakes are more than up to the task in fact they are better than the brakes on my Clio 182 cup and so they should be they are golf gti brakes on something that weighs well under a ton!

Anyone vaguely into driving should ditch the standard tyres and then you maybe surprised at how good the chassis really is that's not to say it can't be improved but it's much better than people say and at the end of the day the throttle pedal is controlled by yourself so surely a bit of self control would add to the fun?

Or maybe people literally drive round on full throttle no matter what the conditions or a particular road may require.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The limit of the 1.0 TSI engine is in the exhaust system, with stock bhp too. More bhp = more limits or more unreliability (bye GPF, for example).

·
Banned
645 Posts
My past three cars, ive modified in some sort of way, especially my previous Abarth, which had its entire suspension, braking, and exhaust system changed.

It certainly improved the handling of the car, and with the quad Monza exhaust, it sounded amazing, but it was the way it put down its performance on the road.

Nothing docile about it at all, very hard ride, licence loosing speeds ever so quickly, and out of warranty, an expensive car to maintain properly.

As for my little Up Gti, i think i will leave it totally standard, and even though i would like to change the exhaust for a Milltek, i will wait until the exhaust is at least showing signs of heavy rust, before its changed.

The Gti, is such a complete package, great fuel economy, immense fun, in a sensibly controlled manner, WHY SPOIL IT, when nothing really needs changing.

Its rare for me to leave a car alone in some modifying manner, but that's exactly what i intend doing with my pocket rocket, its just feels so right.

I wonder if its this reason, that the motoring press love it to bits.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts