Up Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some of the minis have the 4x100 stud pattern we have on the GTIs and other cars. Does anyone know if they will fit the GTI ?
Cheers .

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seller has just message me to say 57.1 is the centre bore and the ET is 45….

Guys the linked charts refer to 2011 VWs the GTI is I believe different ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Up and most VWs is 57.1, mini is 56.1, it's only 0.5mm each side so just use some wet and dry to reem it out slightly and you'll get it on. Plenty people I know done it in the past to get mini wheels on lupos etc(y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if this is any help but...as I have fitted some different wheels on my Gti, the original ones are now at a loose end. So I considered using one of them as a spare for my John Cooper Works and asked my local tyre dealer to try one for size whilst they were doing something else. Turns out they do fit but the bolts on the Mini are quite a bit bigger than the ones on the Up, so the bolt holes are too. How much that would affect the safe fitting of Mini wheels on an Up, I can only guess at.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am sure the Mini wheels have 5 bolts not 4 as on the UP GTI.
Also where would you keep a spare in the Mini as its too big to store in the boot?
I would like a Mini Cooper for my next car and thought the only place i could store a spare would be in the rear foot well behind the front seats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if this is any help but...as I have fitted some different wheels on my Gti, the original ones are now at a loose end. So I considered using one of them as a spare for my John Cooper Works and asked my local tyre dealer to try one for size whilst they were doing something else. Turns out they do fit but the bolts on the Mini are quite a bit bigger than the ones on the Up, so the bolt holes are too. How much that would affect the safe fitting of Mini wheels on an Up, I can only guess at.
You'll need to use Mini wheel bolts to suit the wheels, for the length and also if the shoulder of the bolt is different. Had the same issue running Mercedes wheels on VW before, had to get the relevant Merc wheel bolts to suit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sure the Mini wheels have 5 bolts not 4 as on the UP GTI.
Also ware would you keep a spare in the Mini as its too big to store in the boot?
I would like a Mini Cooper for my next car and thought the only place i could store a spare would be in the rear foot well behind the front seats.
No that’s not quite correct. Most minis share the same PCD as the GTI which is 4X100. Some of the very late minis differ ….. But not many.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Mini is a 2010 JCW Clubman. It's not much bigger than the hatchback but the long flat floor space it provides makes it a great little van, especially with the sun roof open to carry long items, plus there is a lot of space under the floor to carry a spare wheel. The wheels have four bolt holes on my Mini.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Are mini wheels better/lighter/more attractive/cheaper than so many other wheels that you can buy?

No axe to grind but I'm curious as I have seen so many comments about light and good-looking wheels from other 3rd parties....

·
Registered
309 Posts
It must have been the latest 3 door new Minis that i have looked at. They all had 5 stud wheels. The Cooper Classic and Exclusive.
I was only thinking i would have to buy another spare wheel if i buy a Mini and not use one i have at the moment which includes a 3 bolt wheel from my Smart and a 4 bolt from my UP GTI.
Bring back the old days when all cars came with a spare, not as an optional extra.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To freemansteve: In my experience nothing on my Mini has been cheaper than other brands, quite the opposite. And having had my Mini since new, it has been one of the least reliable cars I've ever owned. I certainly would never recommend buying one to anybody, as they are not better quality. And when it comes to fitting Mini wheels on an UP. When I tried doing the opposite (so I had a spare for the Mini) I found the Mini bolts to be quite a lot bigger. Perhaps it's only the high performance ones that have bigger bolts, as other people have found that Mini wheels fit, but that would mean you would have to know which wheels you were buying. Otherwise, you would either have to use the smaller VW bolts or drill and tap out every drive flange on the car to take the bigger bolts. Neither of those two scenarios sound particularly appealing, in all honesty. I think I'd buy a decent third party one that fits...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Are mini wheels better/lighter/more attractive/cheaper than so many other wheels that you can buy?

No axe to grind but I'm curious as I have seen so many comments about light and good-looking wheels from other 3rd parties....
Steve I had the chance of a nice set but couldn’t get definitive answers in time.

It’s not an easy car the GTI to find wheels that fit. I’ve been looking for a while and anything new I like isn’t available and used ones are not only expensive but hard to find.
Mini wheels are plentiful.
Resorting to Mini wheels was desperation really. I will plod on till something comes up 👍👍👍

1 - 18 of 18 Posts