Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I was unlucky and had a minor accident in my car. My story....

I was reversing in a forest, and turned to quickly (or hit the ditch - don't know) and reversed into a tree. Yes yes... STUPID! The car was stuck, the rear window smashed, and the C-pillar didn't look to good either. However, the rear wiper didn't care that the window was smashed and kept on going, until I turned it off.
The only thing i could do was call VW Mobility Service DK, and within an hour I was on my way home again - in the passenger seat of the tow truck.

I don't know the speed before I reversed into the tree, but it wasn't fast - that's for sure. However, the damage looks substantial.

I stopped trying to get out of the ditch myself, because smoke came from my clutch - immidiatly after the first wheel spin (weak clutch/gearbox?)

Damage report:
Rear windows smashed
Rear bumber smashed and crackled (left side only) touching the wheel!
C-pillar bumbed

Pictures:

Edited by: dushe

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ouch, that hurt !

I'd worry most about the C-pillar damage.
The rest means remove / replace whatever got damaged.

Let's hope you're well insured - this is one of those moments you're glad you paid for it

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's nasty. It is times like that an 'undo' button like you get with Microsoft Windows would be very useful.

·
Registered
202 Posts
get it converted into a fortwo UP! :) only joking :) bad luck though :(

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Looking at that C-pillar, the car is most likely a write-off, as you've damaged part of the monocoque shell, ratherthan an easily replaceable panel. It will need either re-jigging or the entire rear quarter cutting out and a new one welding in.

Given the relatively low value of an up! vs the hourly rate of a VW bobody shop, the repair could easily exceed the value of the car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm quite sure they'll be able to shape it back and then respray... If your insured too I can't see you not repairing cuz of costs..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I admire the rear glass screen on the Up! But clearly it's a problem if damaged because you will always lose the back window too. Perhaps from only a gentle rear shunt which is a common type of accident? Does look good though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was very disappointed when this morning I got into the Up! shut my front door and the whole back windscreen exploded into hundreds of tiny glass pieces.VW have contacted the head office in Germany to see if this is a manufacturers issue, as just shutting the door shouldn't result in the whole back window smashing.
Cost of the new window and fitting £308.00incvat!

Not happy :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very sad to see that damage. Hope it was repaired. Glad I've got a Citigo as that tailgate looks too fragile.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nothing that won't polish out with a bit of T Cut as my mechanic friend likes to say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Btw an long due update... The costs for repair was 55000Dkr ~ 6100 pound. My insurance offered me a brand new car instead, same model and sold of the old one to a workshop. I only had to pay minor fees and a raise in insurance costs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good result then at the end of the day? Still an Up to enjoy?

Go well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
From the images posted, it would seem that all rear end collisions are likely to result in the vast majority of Ups being written off by insurance companies.

VAG may as well have constructed the Up! with aluminium frame and body panels, like they did with the Audi A2, for added measure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts