Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had my car for 4.5 months now and in that time have had the air con switched on all the time.

I find that if I switch it off, the windscreen mists up really quickley and I havent found a way to clear it except by switching on the aircon, which clears it in seconds.

Does anyone else have this problem, and has anyone found a solution

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the exact same problem, excuse my lack of technicality here:
I fixed this problem by moving the slide switch the the other setting! I couldn't tell you what they mean but it fixes that problem!

·
Registered
30 Posts
bennnnyb said:
the slide switch the the other setting!

Slide switch? You mean the air circulation switch?that controls if either the air is coming from outside or if is re-circulating in the interior of the car. If you choose this 2nd option, mist will probably show up...

keeping the wind shield clean helps a lot...if the misting is to often or thick...bad news! your car may have a leak...

·
Registered
604 Posts
bennnnyb said:
I had the exact same problem, excuse my lack of technicality here:
I fixed this problem by moving the slide switch the the other setting! I couldn't tell you what they mean but it fixes that problem!
I was going to post this exact same fix, you beat me to it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its perfecly normal every car i ever had experienced this problem, especially as the weather takes a turn - nothing to do with leaks its just condensation - if you have it turn the air con on (dries the air) put the switch to demist and turn up the heat - soon be gone!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
As posted the switch recirculates the air in the car - this will help initially as the air will heat up faster, just remember to switch it back as eventually the stale air will actually steam the car up ( fromthe moisture you breath out)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
remember that aircon drys the air too, thats why mine is on permanently

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you use the aircon it will reduce the moisture of the air coming into the car which will reduce problems from smells etc as moulds have less chance to establish.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The reason it mists when you turn ac off is because there is moisture being held on the evaporator coil as condensation... when you turn ac off, this moisture evaporates again and gets blown into the car... annoying, but expected!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Is the up! Like my golf mk5 where the ac is always on amd theres a button to switch it off?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Same thing here - a/c fixes it very quickly.

Would not want an up! without a/c as with a/c off the ventilation is not really that good. Gets stuffy inside very fast.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Before buying my Citigo, ventilation was something I was a bit concerned about as I was worried about the lack of directional vents in the centre of the dash. But I actually find the ventilation system really very good, I've had no problems whatsoever with misting, whether the aircon is on or off (it's mostly off).And I find just having the blower on the lowest setting with the temp dial in the mid way position keeps the car at a comfortable cool temperature.

I've really been very surprised, because even with the turn in the weather and the recent very damp conditions, I have never yet needed to demist the windscreen.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your replys.

While the aircon is on there is not a misting problem at all, it is never misty.

As I say as soon as I switch it off, the windscreen mists up within a minute, mainly at the bottom.

For that reason I leave the aircon all the time, yes I adjust the temperature dependant on outside temp.

I have found the slider button makes no difference.

Again thanks for all your advice

·
Registered
303 Posts
when i came to my up early friday morning, I had found that my windscreen and all the windows were steamed up. with the air con on I was idling for about 5 mins to clear them before I could set off. Not impressed at all.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That's the same in all the cars I've owned. From cold, the air con has to rely on a cold engine to try to generate some heat. Until the engine has warmed up, only cold air will be produced. Heated front screens, as fitted to Fords, are far quicker.

I also find that if I leave the heater settings pointing to the windscreen when I stop the engine, all of the hot air will condense onto the base of the screen. Therefore, it's a good idea to turn the dial to point to the floor before leaving the car.

Nick

·
Registered
304 Posts
Same here, colder morningS my breathing condenses on the cold windows. AC sorts it but really hadnt had it this bad with other cars I have had?Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The smaller the car, the worse it will be as it takes a lot less relative moisture to condense...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find my Up mists up badly and is hard to clear. I have had to pull over a couple of times to allow it to clear. the windscreen and side windows need better air vents.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts