Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I was just wondering if anybody was experiencing a similar issue to me..
Well when I got in the car this morning I had to defrost the windscreen so I put the AC on full hot for 5 mins or so and it soon cleared, after 5 mins I realised that there was actually moisture/water on the inside of the widescreen! It's happened a fair times now and it's a bit concerning.. It took a good 25 mins of AC on full power up eventually clear most of it. In addition to this, is it just me or does the mii/up get really steamy really quickly?! And I have to have AC on all the time to keep it under control ( this is decreasing my fuel economy). Just using normal heat makes it more steamy and doesn't reduce it!
Has anybody else experienced this or is just me?!? :(:(
Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just check that the slide lever beneath the heater controls s on fresh air, not recirculated. This happened to me and it really makes it steam up. On fresh air you should have no problems.

·
Registered
705 Posts
There are plenty of threads on this problem.

Nick

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes lots of threads, basically you should have no issues when air flow is set to fresh air (left position) I do use air con though initially and then switch off, some leave air con on all time and claim it has little effect on MPG.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ben_Seat said:
I was just wondering if anybody was experiencing a similar issue to me..
Well when I got in the car this morning I had to defrost the windscreen so I put the AC on full hot for 5 mins or so

Why put the air con on? Why not the normal heater?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to use AC because the normal heater makes the car steam up really quickly and using AC stops it from.
Thanks guys ill try that tomorrow:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ben_Seat said:
...... this morning ..... It took a good 25 mins of AC on full power ....
Firstly, unless the external air temp was above +2 deg C (some sources say 4deg C) then the a/c compressor would NOT have been operative even though the a/c light may be on. The a/c will not operate if ext air temp is not high enough. That's to protect compressor and drain pipe from icing up.
Secondly, unless all the residual moisture in the heating system and the car itself was removed before the car was parked the night before (and at this time of year that's very difficult to achieve - even if the car is garaged) then in the morning there will be a LOT of residual moisture in the car (see page 164 of the Driver Manual which refers to "residual humidity"- not to mention all the moisture the driver introduces into the car in the morning just from breathing hence the moisture on the windscreen after start-up!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I only collected my Up the other day but I'm sad to say I can already confirm what you are saying about inadequate ventilation.

This seems to be something that VW just can't do very well. I had a Touran for a few years that was similarly awful; really, really bad. It was taken to the dealers as, after years of Mercedes and Japanese cars, I wasn't used to the shocking de-mist performance and was convinced there was something wrong with it.

The dealer fobbed me off with excuses and "they're all like that, Sir" patter so I left it as there obviously wasn't anything they could do about it, but it's a real shame to discover the Up is similarly affected.

The cold, wet weather over the last couple of days has really shown the Up, erm...up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can report they are not all like it, I have an UP and a Golf MK 6 neither have this issue, in fact I've never had an issue with this in any previous cars even those without air con.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Mine too, no problems at all as long as everything is set correctly.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Normally 1 or 2, sometimes 3. I have never tried it with 4.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's probably the difference. I'm commonly three up and have had four in the car most of the weekend.

Those extra sets of lungs make a lot of difference!

The car that the Up has replaced, a Panda, was excellent in this regard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts