Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I found a sponge rubber between fender and a-pillar. Its full of water in lower part. I'm afraid of rust in near future if I won't do anything.I'm going to remove that sponge(or only part of it) soon to prevent rust.

·
Registered
583 Posts
VW used open foam parts in the door openings ?
That's not being cheap, that's foolish ...

·
Registered
525 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the car has a twelve year bodywork warranty, so the rust will be VWs problem, not yours.

·
Registered
448 Posts
12 year body work warranty is right .....but....isn't there always a but...... only if the car rusts from the inside out. Nice little get out by Vw...and others I think. I would point out your concerns to your Dealer and not cut out any of the rubber. At the end of the day the car is yours and you will have to fight Vw for a claim of rust....and if you have altered or changed from their "Spec" You will have a hard battle my friend.
Go well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi all. I've noticed this on my up when I washed it. It's sound deadening. We use something similar at Toyota in various places on both the Avensis and Auris. It's normally covered by a plastic cover or under the carpet. We also fit this type of sound deadening in the boot of our Avensis saloon under the boot floor mat.
It doesn't matter if it gets wet as it's not really absorbent, so I wouldn't remove it.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same problem was noticed in PASSAT B5 and GOLF IV and there was rust very often.I want to prevent and in next few weeks I'll do something with this.
Now I have two ideas what to do. When see from inside how it looks I decide what to do.
Then i'll post pictures of my work.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi ghost2255. Maybe have a word with your dealer about it. Normally the customer never usually sees this on the cars we build, but due to the ED coat, primer, and sometimes topcoat on the body panels, they shouldn't rust. I have seen rust coloured liquid before now on an old Avensis that was 6 years old, but when I looked at it, it was just a build up of dirty, then dried water. It came off straight away with a bit of polish, and left no sign it was ever there, but this was on a Toyota. Unfortunately I have no experience with VW, as this is my 1st one, but the panel coating techniques, are the same the world over pretty much, so it should be the same.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I removed this rubber from both sides.
It was full of water. There was no rain in last few days and in this foam was about 150-200ml of water in each one.
Metal body surfaces was still wet near sponge. Excelent condition for rust.

Now I'm thinking how to repair this project fault.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I finished rust prevent. I covered foam by aluminium foil and then black vinyl. It looks exactly the same from outside, but moisture is isolated from metal parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a quick look at ours today, only collected the car on
Monday and it's true, when you squeeze the foam through the holes water does come out.
I must admit, it doesn't look like the ideal material for the job to me.
How do you get to it? I presume via the inner wheel arch? Does it come out easy?
You would hope VW know what they are doing, but why use stuff that holds water so easily?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
red leader said:
How do you get to it? I presume via the inner wheel arch? Does it come out easy?
Yes, you must remove inner arch first., then pull the sponge. It is very easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts