Up Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Up! GTI kings red; Eibach pro spacers/Pro Street S coilovers; Pilot sport 5s; Forge induction
136 Posts
Moler Inc, my faux hotrod shop, there's page on Facebook ;)
A few years ago I had reputation for creating fairly decent build thread content on the VZi (Volkszone) forum. I restored a 1964 RHD Splitscreen Panelvan called Jet Rocket and built a pretty good Volksrod (Hotrod out of a Beetle) those threads where titled similar to above, so I thought I'd carry on my own little tradition...anyway onto what we're here for, UP! GTi's :D

Back when the UP! GT was announced, 2012, I fell in love with it instantly so of course it was shelved!
At the time I was in the market for a runabout, I had been looking for a Lupo, but good ones were few and far between and it was my wife who saw the sign at the local VW Dealer advertising an UP! for £99 deposit and £99 per month and suggested that this might be a better idea. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth I went and scoped it out and indeed for £99 deposit and £99 per month I could have a brand new car, winner.

I ordered a Red Take UP! that was on the production line with zero options, the most basic of basic. The car was pretty good, having a much higher level of standard equipment than I imagined and was a blast down the country roads near where I live.
This is the one and only picture I can find of that car, it's from the day I traded it in at 3yrs and 10mths old...
View attachment 8479

...this car was going to be replaced with a white 3 door TSi with black pack, but the very week I was going in to order it the GTi was announced so I decided to hang on.
Before they opened the order books my eldest son decided to go to university and funds were diverted, bugger!
So the replacement was a facelift Move UP!, much higher standard spec but again no options as it was already at the UK port ready to be delivered...
View attachment 8480

...I put H&R lowering springs on within 150miles, really liked this car.

Then COVID happened and I started to work from home and it rarely turned a wheel. After a discussion with the wife we decided to get rid of it and rely on having one car once back in the office. I sold it to a friend for his wife (on standard suspension) and paid off the PCP.

Fast forward to a little over 3 months ago and my wife decided that not having a car during the day wasn't working for her and I should get a car. I didn't want a banger, I wanted an UP! GTi :D and started looking at used ones. I couldn't find what I wanted so specced a new one and was surprised to find it that I could get exactly what I wanted with 0 miles for only £400 more plus waiting time.

I ordered a black 3 door with Cruise, Beats and Light & Sight on the 8th March and collected him on 26th May, please meet Buddy...
View attachment 8486

...I tried hard not name him, but coming from an aircooled background, resistance was futile!

He was filthy when I collected him from 'outside' the dealership, so spent most of last Sunday getting to grips with snow foam and high tech drying cloths :p ...
View attachment 8487

View attachment 8488

View attachment 8489

...for those that don't know, the plate is in tribute to the UP! GTi press car owner by VW. WOB, as seen one all VW press cars, means it was registered in Wolfsburg, the home of VW.

He won't be staying standard, Eibach Pro Street S coilovers are already one their way, to be followed by the usual engine upgrades and remap, but all in good time :)
Check out those garage door windows!….👍

·
Registered
Up! GTI kings red; Eibach pro spacers/Pro Street S coilovers; Pilot sport 5s; Forge induction
136 Posts
No don’t joke, you’ll set off Mickyboy, next thing is he’ll have his shell sent off to Prodrive to add the rear doors and lower the roof line😂
😂Bespoke one off of course (only joking Mickyboy, we all support your project👍)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts