Up Owners Club banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Last evening with two UP!‘s on the drive, my middle sons Beats UP! gets traded in tomorrow for a Scirocco GT Black edition, something he’s wanted since getting his license…
Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle Wheel

Reactions: neebsta

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
It’s almost 3mm from the middle the G to the far edge of the I (I even put my glasses on to cheek :p ) but is it that right? Are they all like this?

Now I’ve seen it I can’t unsee it and it’ll need sorting!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Isn't it just double-sided tape-mounted?
If so, mark overall positions with masking tape, take each piece off as required with dental floss, cleanup, and remount with fresh tape....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Eibach’s arrived today from Tuner Shop, I did AT999’s trick of ordering in euros…
View attachment 8511

…I donn’t really want to strip the original uprights down, so what are the current thoughts on top mounts for these?
My coilovers are on, dropped 15mm front and rear, no issues.
First impressions - The ride has improved quite a lot, like you have larger sidewalled tires - impressive.

The only slight issue is if you hit a speed bump too fast there is a knocking sound from the front when you are coming off the speed bump, but this is faster than I'd would go over a speed bump with the stock suspension, so not really an issue.

The handling has also improved considerably. In the past I'd struggled to get much lift off oversteer. It's now there on demand. Now you can easily play with the thottle and steering inputs and make it do what you want. Lovely😀
Thank you to everyone who's posted their suspension thoughts - appreciated👍

·
Registered
117 Posts
My coilovers are on, dropped 15mm front and rear, no issues.
First impressions - The ride has improved quite a lot, like you have larger sidewalled tires - impressive.

The only slight issue is if you hit a speed bump too fast there is a knocking sound from the front when you are coming off the speed bump, but this is faster than I'd would go over a speed bump with the stock suspension, so not really an issue.

The handling has also improved considerably. In the past I'd struggled to get much lift off oversteer. It's now there on demand. Now you can easily play with the thottle and steering inputs and make it do what you want. Lovely😀
Thank you to everyone who's posted their suspension thoughts - appreciated👍
Have you got a picture?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think they look better like that as apposed to the tyre looking like it touches the wheel arch and then the arch gap looks weird to me
I do like the low look that some of the guys run, but too low would probably catch on my drive. I've gone for an even drop, meaning I've kept the rear higher for a more lively rear end...in theory. This was the case when modifying the golf and mss recommend 5mm higher at the rear with their kits for stability and cornering. I remember this set up gave a ford puma (orig) type handling to my golf r (the ford puma was also high at the rear and a v. nice handling car). All personal choice and I may be talking nonsense, but I'm very happy (as it's now the best handling car that I've owned), so I'm quiting whilst I'm ahead😀
I'm still on the original defficient tires. Previously I didn't like them in the wet, but now it easier to correct them so they'll be hanging around for a while longer👍

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also have the deficient grips on mine still and just a word of warning if playing with lift off oversteer in the wet, the rear tyre (lack of) grip can be very unpredictable…..
It maybe something to do with the simple rear beam suspension arrangement as opposed to proper multi link, or the fact that power can’t be added when left foot braking (bl##dy electronics), or the poor rear damping, but I’ve given up with this cornering technique until I’ve got some different tyres that behave more consistently, and probably rear Bilstein’s.
It is a cheap fun car but a 205GTI it is not…

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also have the deficient grips on mine still and just a word of warning if playing with lift off oversteer in the wet, the rear tyre (lack of) grip can be very unpredictable…..
It maybe something to do with the simple rear beam suspension arrangement as opposed to proper multi link, or the fact that power can’t be added when left foot braking (bl##dy electronics), or the poor rear damping, but I’ve given up with this cornering technique until I’ve got some different tyres that behave more consistently, and probably rear Bilstein’s.
It is a cheap fun car but a 205GTI it is not…
Cheers, I'll be cautious. I've not driven a 205 GTI.
Good luck with the tyres and rear bilsteins. Sounds good👍

·
Registered
33 Posts
c180bhp (mine was tweaked) in a similar size lightweight short wheelbase 3 door hatch to the UP!, badly built by the French.
This was back in the 80’s, and was the most raucous, mental fun car available bar a Caterham.
many, many, ended up in ditches……

·
Registered
65 Posts
c180bhp (mine was tweaked) in a similar size lightweight short wheelbase 3 door hatch to the UP!, badly built by the French.
This was back in the 80’s, and was the most raucous, mental fun car available bar a Caterham.
many, many, ended up in ditches……
Brilliant! My uncle had a 1.6, but I was a little young to drive at the time. I can't compare and stil getting used to mine, but if you get the chance try an up on coilovers😀 It might not be a sub 900kg 180bhp monster, but still a lot of fun in these dark days of heavy cars🤣🤣🤣

41 - 60 of 88 Posts