Up Owners Club banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Having had the car now for almost a month I thought I would write up my initial impressions.

I absolutely adore the car, it has easily surpassed my expectations :D
That isn't to say there aren't a few niggles like how water continues to run down the back window from the corners of the spolier after washing and drying, or how the electric windows are still not one touch!

I have realised what made me decide on a black car (I'd always wanted a white one, though they look great in any colour) other than black looking amazing when clean, it's the lack of side stripe stickers and what is essentally a colour coded centre section to the front bumper. Interestingly though that black section is not body coloured at all, it's not metallic black, but just flat black. It came specced with body coloured mirrors (I can't remember adding them) so they are metallic.

I've done a little under 500miles on roads that range from great to atrocious and find the suspension fine for the most part, but then I'm well practised at dodging pot holes. However, because I want to go lower for the aesthetics, I may as well go with what is universally considered a great upgrade and fit Eibachs. The Pro Street S coilovers go on next week.
I have found the tyres ok for the moderately spirited driving on the twisty roads I've been on, I am still running in after all, but going into a righthand angled corner I get a ton of understeer and what feels like tyre wall roll though what's actually happening is probably lose of grip, the Touran copes better. A set of Goodyear F1's are on the list.

Soundaktor, I think it's great and wish people outside the car could hear it too :LOL:
With cruise control on on the motorway it's all but silent for me, though I do have the stereo turned up.

I don't mind the stop/start, we have it on the other car, but I think they should have built into the logic that it doesn't engage below a certain engine temperature.

Line assist, I don't get the yanking on the steering wheel that some describe, but generally turn it off as soon as I feel the resistance.

MPG, now here's the thing, I haven't got into the 50's ever, yet it's very widely reported on here (this forum) that this is the norm. All I can assume is that they drive like Miss Daisy :p
Is there a way of finding the lifetime MPG? (being lazy instead of finding out for myself)

What else do people moan about? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Aitch

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Stop-start - AFAIK it doesn't/shouldn't engage if the engine is cold. Summer conditions may keep the engine above a threshold level. In any case, at the moment, my car is at 90C after 1/2 mile. These engines are designed to get to temp. very fast.

Reactions: Silverado

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Stop-start - AFAIK it doesn't/shouldn't engage if the engine is cold. Summer conditions may keep the engine above a threshold level. In any case, at the moment, my car is at 90C after 1/2 mile. These engines are designed to get to temp. very fast.
I've never seem my water temp below 90°C, the oil temp however takes a long time to warm up.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Water will be below 90C when the car is literally started from cold (!), but this time of year, will be in the 20s all the time (at least down here) and will heat up vert fast.
Modern oils at say, 15-20C are probably runny enough for stop-start; it depends exactly what the software measures to decide if start-start is allowed (i.e. oil or water temp or both, and what temp 'set point' is good enough). Even in Cornwall in the depths of winter, I'm fairly sure S-S doesn't kick in on my car for 1/4 mile or so... Of course, it may be that after the first start from cold, the battery voltage is slightly down, having powered stuff all night, so the system allows the smart alternator to top it up before allowing S-S.

·
Registered
2021 GTI
117 Posts
Regarding drying the car, treat yourself to a Metrovac Sidekick or similar. Bought one recently, it's brilliant, finding all sorts of DIY uses for it too.

Else, mine's averaging 47mpg.. I think I read someone recently saying the later cars aren't as good on fuel as the earlier ones?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
i think i read someone recently saying the later cars aren't as good on fuel as the earlier ones?
I'm not sure if that's science and actual statistical data or just anecdotal - what may be true, is that for a given engine, later models may carry more weight (with more kit fitted). Maybe overall gearing changed? It's really hard to know the facts.....

47 is about right overall (including short town trips) on the MPi engines.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
But it's still a sample of one user, and we don't know the provenance of either car...
Seems odd that VW would engineer-in an increased consumption on later models, diesels aside ! :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I don't think this person was the only one to say it....

There is a physical difference between the cars as we know regarding the turbo elbow.

I also think someone who's spent their hard earned cash is very unlikely to fabricate something to make his newer car look fractionally worse than the old one at something?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Ah, I was thinking the MPi engines, but the turbos do have a lot more variables....!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My 2019 car averaged 54mpg over nearly three years, the new one (March this year), is slightly worse at the moment, but it's only done 3000 miles, and is creeping up to 52 mpg, so I'm finding it marginal. I think that the more "run in" it gets, the slightly better on fuel it will be.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I always used to switch off the stop/start as soon as i started the engine, but recently i have left it on.

I have noticed that for most of my short 5 mile trips each way to the supermarket stuck in traffic as usual and loads of traffic lights on Red to stop at, the engine hardly ever turns off. In fact last time the engine only turned off once at the last traffic light before entering the supermarket.

Then 20 mins later after i had done my shopping and got back in the car, the engine did not cut out again at the traffic lights at the supermarket exit. Yes i did have the car out of gear and my foot off the clutch. No engine cut out at the next three sets of lights, but it did cut out at the next lights and all the ones after that.

Therefore i now find there is no need to press the stop/start switch with the short trips that i do. I think the car could probably do with a longer drive to charge up the battery, so i will be driving to Blackpool (100 mile round trip ) a few times in August and September to see the Classic Car shows.

As for MPG. i have always got 50 MPG round town and the only time i checked on a 50 mile motorway run at a steady 55 MPH, the MFD gave a figure of 75 MPG so i was probably getting 70 MPG.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I tested the stop/start after work while watching the water temp, 3 minutes out of the car park and to a set of traffic lights, water got up to 70 and the engine stopped at the lights, so after reading Test Drivers account above, I guess it comes down to battery condition?

Reactions: TEST DRIVER
61 - 80 of 88 Posts