81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Well I got the front done!
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

That jack is 30 years old!

A combination of VW now using an M14 spline bolt on the upright (had to go into town to get a tool, the ones I had only went up to M12)…
Drinkware Tableware Fluid Liquid Tin

…stubborn driveshafts requiring an improvised pressing tool…
Light Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Rim

…and procrastination, slowed me down.

I do own a pair of coil spring compressors, but I have always found this easier (and a lot quicker) after been shown it by a mechanic years ago…
Gas Electricity Plumbing Automotive tire Electrical wiring

Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Road surface Monochrome

…and that proper strut top tool worked well…
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle fork

Rear is ready to jack up and drop the springs out, first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
that airgun ontop of strut between legs photo.. ha!

I also now need a M14 spline bit
I've done dozens like it, braced behind the gun they shoot the other way, you just have to commit and go for it :p
Worst was a Mk3 Astra, the suspension leg went about 10 foot, but the GTi ones barely moved.

I would recommend buying/borrowing a hub puller too.

Reactions: Aitch

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Got the rears done, the instructions aren’t very clear so for reference this is how I put the rear shock tops together…
Material property Font Tints and shades Technology Automotive lighting

…I’ve gone low…
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

…the rear adjuster is literally one turn up from minimum, I have even arch gap all the way round :giggle:

All tracked up, it was obviously a mile out on front toe..
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

…before and after…
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

…I love it, the Eibach Pro Street S is better than standard even at this height, normal driving is as smooth as before but less noisy/crashy in the rear, and spirited is like a go cart 😁…
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

For reference, wheel and Goodyear d’efficentgrip weight…
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive design

• Love
Reactions: up234

·
Registered
97 Posts
Got the rears done, the instructions aren’t very clear so for reference this is how I put the rear shock tops together…
View attachment 8640
…I’ve gone low…
View attachment 8641
…the rear adjuster is literally one turn up from minimum, I have even arch gap all the way round :giggle:

All tracked up, it was obviously a mile out on front toe..
View attachment 8642
…before and after…
View attachment 8644
…I love it, the Eibach Pro Street S is better than standard even at this height, normal driving is as smooth as before but less noisy/crashy in the rear, and spirited is like a go cart 😁…
View attachment 8645

For reference, wheel and Goodyear d’efficentgrip weight…
View attachment 8643
I bet you can't wait to get rid of the d'efficients. I'm getting on better with mine now I have coilovers, except wet medium/fast bends - went for a blast last night in the wet and was scared. I'll use them up in the summer and go from there👍

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I’ve been on a long drive out today to collect an eBay purchase (not car related) with a good mixture roads, some were horrible, and speeds.
It was great fun for the most part, the front knocked on a couple of occasions over what looked like the most innocuous bumps, not sure if it’s the tyres or the suspension causing it?

MPG was 53.9, happy with that.
What I wasn’t happy about was my own ineptitude, the fuel light came on as I passed a petrol station and I thought the next one was closer, but not this close :oops: :LOL:
Speedometer Vehicle Tachometer Car Trip computer

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
The front knocking noise - I think we've all been there now. It seems to happen when the front is low, roughly 2 fingers gap between the front tire and arch is widely reported to be about the sweet spot. This has worked for me too😃
That’s unfortunate, because he ain’t going any higher than he is now :p

Reactions: Emmetd

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Reckon you've probably got 20-30 miles margin there, but I'd still be a bit nervous in the same situation...
Is that known or speculation? Definitely had me sweating!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Final update on the knocking/clunking issue. Had the car back into the garage this morning and they had a good look around and listen and determined that everything was in order. They raised the car by 3 turns (I had put it back to where it started off) and they said this was an "80% improvement" not sure how they arrived at that figure but there we go.

They did also fit the original nut for the top mount which, call me crazy, but that does feel like it's made some difference. It's not transformed the car but it does feel like there is somewhat less knocky but honestly it could be entirely placebo.

It has to be said that the noise is only there very occasionally and for most of the journeys that I do, it can't be heard so I think I'm going to leave it there for this one.

Overall ride in the car is far better than standard, it looks much better and certainly handles a lot better in the twisties.

I've not had much chance to drive the car since getting it back but I did drop it down by 4 turns, @Silverado made me feel a bit self conscious that the front wasn't quite low enough ;).

My gut feeling is that the remainder of the noise I'm hearing is tyre noise so going to look into getting those changed over shortly.

Next on the list is certainly a stage 1, 15mm spacers for the rear are already on the way and maybe swapping out the wheels. I really like the idea of going 17x7 Motec Ultralights in black or silver but not sure if there'll be any fitment issues with those.
At least that’s something, did they say anything about the spacer?
I agree with you about the tyres, I too now think the very occasional knock is tyre related, we’ll see 😊

81 - 100 of 116 Posts