101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GTI
148 Posts
Well I got the front done!
View attachment 8633
That jack is 30 years old!

A combination of VW now using an M14 spline bolt on the upright (had to go into town to get a tool, the ones I had only went up to M12)…
View attachment 8634
…stubborn driveshafts requiring an improvised pressing tool…
View attachment 8635
…and procrastination, slowed me down.

I do own a pair of coil spring compressors, but I have always found this easier (and a lot quicker) after been shown it by a mechanic years ago…
View attachment 8636

View attachment 8637
…and that proper strut top tool worked well…
View attachment 8638
Rear is ready to jack up and drop the springs out, first thing tomorrow.
@Silverado, can you remember what size the socket is in the bottom photo? To hold the top mount against the M14. I don't have the VW top mount tool and am hoping I've got a swan-necked spanner in the right size. Need to hunt for a hub puller too. Can I also ask if you renewed any fixings, or just reused existing? Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
@Silv

Silverado, can you remember what size the socket is in the bottom photo? To hold the top mount against the M14. I don't have the VW top mount tool and am hoping I've got a swan-necked spanner in the right size. Need to hunt for a hub puller too. Can I also ask if you renewed any fixings, or just reused existing? Thanks
Sorry it has taken so long to reply...I'll find out the size for you tonight but I don't believe a swan neck spanner will fit, I used a grinder to put a hex on the back of a socket and used a spanner on it when i did the springs on my previous UP.

·
Registered
2021 GTI
148 Posts
Sorry it has taken so long to reply...I'll find out the size for you tonight but I don't believe a swan neck spanner will fit, I used a grinder to put a hex on the back of a socket and used a spanner on it when i did the springs on my previous UP.
No worries, and thankyou
Hoping something along these lines might work?

Strut Nut Sockets Tool Set 5 pc Shock Absorber Bolts For Audi VW Mercedes | eBay

PORSCHE STRUT NUT SOCKET(18mm/12PT) VM #3353 1/2" DR. x 18mm 12PT Auto Accessory | eBay

I should take the scuttle off and look myself sometime

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Brilliant, thanks(y)
I'd never get the use out of one of those sets so will see what i can manage with the grinder or alternatives
I'm a tool wh0re, I'll buy tools that only come once every 10 years if it means the job is easier and done properly :D and while the Heath Robinson tool worked, it's a bit shallow.

Whereabout are you? you can borrow it if you're close.

Reactions: Aitch

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
How are you getting on with them now you are in the 4 figure mileage?
Have they settled (lowered) much in that time?
Cheers
Still loving them, not sure how much thay settled but I'll have a measure up and post up what the difference is...it won't be for a few weeks though as I'm in the middle of sorting my aircooled parts hoard so the garage is in a mess :p

Reactions: AT999

·
Super Moderator
1,741 Posts
There shouldn't be any need to mess around with driveshafts when fitting coilovers. I've never touched a hub nut when fitting front struts, on an up! or otherwise.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
There shouldn't be any need to mess around with driveshafts when fitting coilovers. I've never touched a hub nut when fitting front struts, on an up! or otherwise.
Clearly you've never done Vauxhall front struts from a 80's and 90's vintage ;)

101 - 116 of 116 Posts