Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stolen from another forum where this was posted by an MOT tester

The upgrading of existing halogen headlamps with HID bulbs has been a MOT fail for a few years now. However upgrading with LED bulbs was OK. Not anymore! From 11/01/2021 the MOT rules have been updated to make the fitment of LED bulbs ( in existing halogen units) a fail.

I attach the new rule for clarity.

4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

Anybody failing (or passing ) an MOT with LED's please post here
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
I'd say a lot of that would be at the MOT tester's discretion and how clued up they are on what headlight bulbs should be fitted from standard, as a lot of them won't have a clue!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I take it this only applies to headlights and not to the LED DRL/sidelights on the UP GTI fitted as standard from the factory?

What about cars that have LED headlights fitted as standard from the factory. Cars like Mercedes and BMW. Does the rule only apply to headlights that have been changed by the owners from standard fit?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it this only applies to headlights and not to the LED DRL/sidelights on the UP GTI fitted as standard from the factory?

What about cars that have LED headlights fitted as standard from the factory. Cars like Mercedes and BMW. Does the rule only apply to headlights that have been changed by the owners from standard fit?
Anything fitted as standard doesn't count (DRL LED's) However, as we have Halogen headlamps, if we convert to LED's we could fail MOT, so see what your local tester has to say and be sure to declare to your insurers. My old cars (Triumphs) had sealed beams originally so may get by on a technicality ?? 🙄

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm assuming that it's because the headlamp itself isn't designed for using LED bulbs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
lots of a classics now are running modern expensive full unit LED conversions. Its pretty common for Porsche and Lotus. Going to be a right pain for some going back to the candle light of an early 993 or Elise.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anything fitted as standard doesn't count (DRL LED's) However, as we have Halogen headlamps, if we convert to LED's we could fail MOT, so see what your local tester has to say and be sure to declare to your insurers. My old cars (Triumphs) had sealed beams originally so may get by on a technicality ?? 🙄

Mike, my car is completely standard. The headlights have not been changed. They are not LEDs. They are standard fit from the factory.

I was only asking about the LED DRLs, but as you say anything that is standard fit from the factory will be ok.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm assuming that it's because the headlamp itself isn't designed for using LED bulbs.
Hi 911. Correct, early LED bulbs were 100% in every direction and didn't work with Halogen reflectors. Next Gen LEDs now match halogen bulb beam patterns and work really well. MOT rules designed to stop old style LED took too long to introduce and have now been overtaken and made redundant (again) by the latest bulbs. I'll vote to stay LED, stay safe, keep them insurance declared, MOT tested and take my chances. EVERYBODY needs to make their own informed decisions, so lets keep sharing the information !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts