Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you may well have read, your MOT has been extended by 6 months unless it expires before the 30th March 2020. In this case you must get it renewed unless self isolating.

Most dealerships and some local garages are now shut and unless you are a designated key worker you are unlikely to get your car serviced. Our Mii was due it's 1st service tomorrow but that has been cancelled.

A number of manufacturers have said that they will not extend the warranty period on cars. If you have a fault and your car warranty is just about to expire you to need to contact the manufacturer and they will recorded this and it will be dealt with when things hopefully return to normal.

Some manufacturer have suggested contacting their roadside assistance services to help with any faults or problems or finding a local garage that is open.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I took my wife's UP for its MOT test on Monday, is due by March 30th. Some 500 yards before arriving at test centre the EML illuminated. This is an automatic fail, but as I was there, and it was a cheap Groupon ATS voucher I was using, I decided to proceed as the car was booked in for a service two days later and any issue could be rectified then, and returned for a retest which is usually free at my local ATS branch.
Anyway, car did fail due to emissions, took it home and plugged in my OBD scanner and fault code identified as post cat. Lambda sensor.
Thought I could change it myself, but as it was going in for a service and was still under warranty, I decided to leave it. But the service has now been cancelled as the dealership is now closed until April. Contacted VW and raised the issue regarding warranty work, agent took my details and logged it on their system, and gave me a reference number to give to my VW garage on resumption of trading. The warranty will still cover it as it was logged prior to expiration of warranty.
Should not have bothered taking it for the MOT if I knew about the planned extension of six months for cars due their MOT on and after March 30th, but looks like, having read all the information available, that as the car failed its MOT test I will need to get it retested, and the original March 30th due date will remain.
Going to change the sensor myself and get it retested, but it is very well stuck in its exhaust mounting, so any tips on its removal gladly accepted.
Edit. Managed to get it out. 22mm ring spanner and a hammer!! Took about 2 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
I took my wife's UP for its MOT test on Monday, is due by March 30th. Some 500 yards before arriving at test centre the EML illuminated. This is an automatic fail, but as I was there, and it was a cheap Groupon ATS voucher I was using, I decided to proceed as the car was booked in for a service two days later and any issue could be rectified then, and returned for a retest which is usually free at my local ATS branch.
EML lamp illuminated is NOT an automatic fail, however the resultant reason for the EML (emissions in your case) could result in a fail.

·
Registered
542 Posts
EML lamp illuminated is NOT an automatic fail, however the resultant reason for the EML (emissions in your case) could result in a fail.
It sure is. I asked the tester before the test, and he confirmed it was. Recent change to MOT rules. Daughters Meriva failed a few months ago due to EML, no other issues found in MOT test. Took the car home and reset the light using my OBD tool, the fault was a thermostat sensor, but the car ran fine, and no emission issues at test. Took it back and the guy passed it by just sticking his head in the car window.
The MOT failure sheet showed it as 'Engine MIL inoperative or indicates a malfunction (8.2.1.2 (h))'
Engine malfunction indicator lamp (engine management light or ‘EML’)
Turn on the ignition and check that the engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates and then goes off. On some vehicles it will be necessary to start the engine before the MIL goes off.
You need to inspect MIL fitted to:
  • petrol vehicles with 4 or more wheels, not more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2003
  • petrol vehicles with 4 or more wheels, more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2008
  • gas and bi-fuel vehicles with 4 or more wheels, not more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2008
Kit cars, amateur built vehicles and American pickups are not required to be fitted with an engine MIL.
DefectCategory
(a) Emissions levels exceed the manufacturer’s specified limitsMajor
(b) Emissions levels exceed default limitsMajor
(c) Lambda coefficient outside the default limits or the range specified by the manufacturerMajor
(d) Emissions test unable to be completedMajor
(e) Engine is idling clearly above its normal idle speedMajor
(f) Exhaust emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke for a continuous period of 5 seconds at idleMajor
(g) Exhaust emits excessive dense blue or clearly visible black smoke during acceleration which would obscure the view of other road usersMajor
(h) Engine MIL inoperative or indicating a malfunctionMajor

·
Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
My apologies, was not up-to-date on this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts