Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for 75ps owners. What cruising speed on the motorway strikes the right balance between economy, comfort, stability and speed?

·
Registered
811 Posts
It will cruise all day at 80 without drama and give 50mpg. It will also cruise happily at 90 ( allegedly ) but that drops consumption down to 45mpg

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine runs nicely at 65-70ish very well. The engine does get into a comfortable area at the higher end of that, but I'm not sure what the fuel consumption is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both,
That's good to know as I wondered about the ability of the Up! on the motorway having only test driven around town.
I normally sit at 75mph and would be pleased with a 50mpg return at that speed

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's the advantage of the 75bhp engine, it is much more relaxed on the motorway than the 60bhp unit. You would never believe that it was a 1 litre. At 75 you should see mid fifties mpg on a long run.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What do people with the 60hp get on the motorway?

It isn't often I have to use the motorway, hence me going for the 60hp, and I had 3 dealers (all independent of each other) tell me that it wasn't worth paying the extra for the 75hp....

Edited by: Lee in Denmark

·
Registered
113 Posts
makes sense i guess...

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've got one of each. The difference is that the 75bhp's extra power is mainly at higher revs (someone provided a nice graph on here somewhere). This means that it feels less stressed at higher speeds. To be honest there isn't much difference elsewhere. The Take Up doesn't have M&M so I have no idea what the motorway consumption is. Overall again there is no real difference.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think you 75 owner are a little unfair on the 60 as I get exactly the same and I have cruised at 100 comfortable with 45mpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
spud said:
I think you 75 owner are a little unfair on the 60 as I get exactly the same and I have cruised at 100 comfortable with 45mpg

Makes sense.The 60 reaches maximum power at 5500rpm whereas the 75 does at 6200rpm, so unless you're overtaking something both should feel exactly the same at motorway speeds.

Thinking about it, surely the bog standard Up! would be slightly more relaxing as the engine won't have the a/c unit to cope with, meaning slightly lower revs at any given speed?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I normally do 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways. I usually sit in lane 1, and it is more relaxing than going faster in lane 1 and 2, and quieter, and better for fuel economy. I've done over 100mph, but it gets a bit noisy at such speeds. I think for fast cruising you need a German uber-barge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
`Thinking about it, surely the bog standard Up! would be slightly more relaxing as the engine won't have the a/c unit to cope with, meaning slightly lower revs at any given speed?'

How? Having air conditioning does not make the engine rev more, it just takes power from the engine, the car is geared the same with or without air conditioning.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
matt-drummer said:
`Thinking about it, surely the bog standard Up! would be slightly more relaxing as the engine won't have the a/c unit to cope with, meaning slightly lower revs at any given speed?'

How? Having air conditioning does not make the engine rev more, it just takes power from the engine, the car is geared the same with or without air conditioning.

There is a lot of drag on the pulley system when the A/C pump is engaged, hence more power is required from the engine to turn at the same speed. It is widely known that having the A/C running will decrease your MPG by up to 10%.

Only when the A/C pump clutch is engaged though, it will make minimal difference if the A/C is switched off, as the pump pulley is in free-wheel.

Edited by: shakotanVIP

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Up!_to_Mii said:
Thinking about it, surely the bog standard Up! would be slightly more relaxing as the engine won't have the a/c unit to cope with, meaning slightly lower revs at any given speed?
Just to clarify this, unless the clutch is slipping, your RPM in the same gear will always result in the same speed, you cannot change the gearing of the system. However with the A/C engaged, the amount of throttle input required to maintain that RPM will be greater than if not engaged. Much like when driving up a hill.

Edited by: shakotanVIP

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cruising at 100 Spud

·
Registered
198 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
There is a lot of drag on the pulley system when the A/C pump is engaged, hence more power is required from the engine to turn at the same speed. It is widely known that having the A/C running will decrease your MPG by up to 10%.

Only when the A/C pump clutch is engaged though, it will make minimal difference if the A/C is switched off, as the pump pulley is in free-wheel.
To clarify this further for a newbie like me, by A/C you mean the compressor used for cooling and demoisturizing? Am I right in thinking that, opposed to that, heating uses engine's waste heat and therefore doesn't increase fuel consumption? (Not counting here power needed to run fans and various electrically heated things.)

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
ptae2000e said:
shakotanVIP said:

To clarify this further for a newbie like me, by A/C you mean the compressor used for cooling and demoisturizing? Am I right in thinking that, opposed to that, heating uses engine's waste heat and therefore doesn't increase fuel consumption? (Not counting here power needed to run fans and various electrically heated things.)

Heating in the up! is via the traditional method of diverting the hot water from the engine cooling system through a heat exchanger behind the dash. This uses no/minimal additional energy [depending on whether the valves are cable or electrically controlled, I would assume electric in a modern car]. There is an electric fan to blow air across the heat exchanger inot the cabin, which will increase the load slightly on the alternator, but will not make any appreciable difference to fuel consumption.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts