Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be doing a 40 mile round trip to work on the motorway, would i notice any difference between the move up engine and the higher bhp high up one?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi VIF,

I have a "high up! with a move up! engine" (living in Germany) ...

The UK have a speed limit of 70 mph (112 km/h)?
Driving from Paderborn to Dortmund, we have to "slow down" to 75 mph (120 km/h) near Unna ...

As far as I know, the acceleration of the 75 bhp enigne is better on high rpm. The max. speed is higher too (but only with high rpms).

I don't think that the engines make a big differences with a 70 mph speed limit.
Surely if there is a 100 mph speed limit and you don't care about the mpgs ...

I would take the high up! again because it has very nice "little extra features". I could buy the 60 bhp version in Germany and would have bought the 75 bhp version if this was the only available for the high up! ...
On a 40 miles drive (more than 1 hour?), these extras might make sense. A matter of taste and "luxury".

For a 40 miles drive to work it might make sense to take the BMT version because it needs less fuel ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a High Up! 75bhp and had 60bhp Move Up! as a courtesy car a few weeks ago. There is actually not a lot of difference between the two. I felt that I had to work the 60ps marginally harder than I have to with mine but the difference is minimal.

I do a lot of motorway miles with mine and chose the 75bhp mainly because I wanted the High Up with the extra gadgets and thought the extra power would be useful. But in reality motorway journeys in a 60 bhp car are fine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am unable to tell the difference having driven both versions, in fact ,it left me wondering what was the point?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Motorway slip roads / on-ramps are (in most cases) much better in Britain than in Germany!
In Britain you normally have real "ramps" from a roundabout above the motorway. The way is long enough to accelerate to "motorway speed".

in Germany you have 90° or 270° turns you can only drive with 30 mph. Then you have a "short" way to accelerate - and the "slow side" often means 60-70 mph or more! But even this is no big problem for an up! with 60 bhp.

As SDL1409 also wrote: move up! 60 bhp or high up! 75 bhp ia more a matter of interior and taste ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Funnily enough, when I was reading up! reviews on the net (What Car, Auto Express et al) and viewing any available review videos, all the reviewers really praised the car all round - they were extremely positive.

But they all had one proviso - the 60hp was only suitable for pottering about town, to take longer journeys, use motorways etc, you would have to choose the 75hp.

Now, having enjoyed my 60 up! on all sorts of journeys, and reading feedback from those who have driven both cars, it makes you wonder what type of world reviewers live in?

Perhaps they get too used to driving round in more powerful and expensive cars, and find it hard to sometimes scale down to "our" level?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Now, having enjoyed my 60 up! on all sorts of journeys, and reading feedback from those who have driven both cars, it makes you wonder what type of world reviewers live in?

Perhaps they get too used to driving round in more powerful and expensive cars, and find it hard to sometimes scale down to "our" level?
[/QUOTE]

I agree. the only 75 bhp Up I have driven was the demo' in 3 door form. I needed 5 doors and opted for the Take Up. I have done a variety of mixed driving in mine, and have no issues at all. Motorways, country lanes and every thing in-between is just fine for me. 60 bhp Ups, in my opinion are fine and in reality lack nothing over their bigger bhp siblings.

" Top Gear " thinking and clever advertising must play a part in our perspective. I have no regrets on my choice though. 60 or 75 bhp makes very little difference in the real world.

Go well.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Is the "Sound pack" (6 speakers instead of two) standard in the move up!?
As far as I know, in the UK it is standard in the high up!.

A 40 miles motorway drive might take 40-60 minutes.
Having a good sound inside the car is much more important than 15 bhp more ...

The Fender Sound system surely is even better - but the "Sound Pack" already has an excellent sound.

For a regular 40 miles drive I would chose the high up! (Sound Pack included) or the move up! (Sound Pack 100 GBP extra). There are surely excellent solutions to retrofit a take up! with a speaker system - but I am too old for such retrofit solutions ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I only have 2 speakers, which I have upgraded. I am happy with the improvement.

But I am curious about the Sound Pack upgrade. Would it simply involve more of the same basic VW speakers, or is the speaker quality also improved?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well; you have four "all frequency" (dual cone) speakers and two tweeters in front of you.
Even driving alone, the two back speakers allow a balance of "sound from behind" (and so "room feeling"). The "fatness" (indirect sound) can be balanced by this and the surface of the speakers (pumped air) increases.

As the radio stays the same, you have the second stereo amp "put on" - which also increases volume.

With good "single speakers" in the front doors you can get a great sound! Excellent speakers might even be better than the built in 6 speaker sound pack! If you don't want to retrofit the speakers, the 100 GBP fot the Sound Pack are well spent money! You will surely not regret it ...

I have a 60 BHP high up! with Sound Pack ...
I would buy the 60 BHP again, the high up! and the Sound Pack ...
If I lived in Britain, I would buy a 75 BHP high up!. Others might buy the move up! plus Sound Pack.
Upgrading the speakers of yout take up! was a good decision (to my mind) and if the take up! is "good enough", I would NEVER say, that you are/were wrong! You surely have the better price / performance ratio than I have!

·
Registered
172 Posts
your info is not correct a sound plus system has 2 high tones 2 bass in the front doors and 2 fuld tone speakers in the rear, and not like you say 4 fuld tone and 2 high tone

if you don´t think taht is correct the please fell free tol take the door panels off, i have hade 3-4 cars +my owen car, for speaker upgrade, so i know very well what volkswagen has fitted too our cars

other then that i do agre that spund plus is abselut min. the price off the fender system is so low that it is what i would recomend

regards
RIX

1 - 11 of 11 Posts