Up Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Brodit phone holder, because:
  • unlike most aftermarket solutions it is robust and made with precision;
  • unlike the factory cradle, 1) you just drop the phone in, no need to squeeze or adjust anything to hold it and 2) it holds the phone in portrait mode.

So the aim is to use only the back half of the factory cradle, the bit that mounts to the dash. That has a MALE Richter interface. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a FEMALE Richter to Brodit adapter available anywhere. So I bought this off ebay for less than £4:

You can't see from the listing but of course the back of the centre of this item is a female interface. So I got busy with the hacksaw:
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget Rectangle

The smooth face of the centre piece is a separate pop-out piece, so I superglued it in place to avoid it separating later on when it becomes a load bearing part of the mount (photo doesn't actually show much here, too busy getting superglue off my hands...):
Automotive lighting Bumper Gadget Material property Gas

Essentially, that's it. Everything from this point onwards is just stuff you would do to mount a Brodit phone holder to any suitable clip or other surface.

I then mounted the back of the Brodit swivel mount, using the 4 Brodit supplied screws, to my new female adapter:
Audio equipment Gadget Gas Electronic device Automotive tire

And then slid the 2 Richter interfaces together:
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Fashion accessory Metal

Then screwed the Brodit swivel mount back together and fitted the whole thing to the dash:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Steering wheel

My phone is a 6.8" Moto G9 Plus, and it does seem to sit a little high with this arrangement, but if it was any lower it would make operation of the a/c button and fan speed control difficult. There has to be some compromise with a large phone in portrait mode I guess.

That issue apart, this is a great setup. Same stability and easy connection of a USB cable as with the factory cradle, but also much easier insertion and removal of phone, portrait orientation, no limit on phone size, ability to orient phone to face driver.

Hope this is useful :)

·
Registered
2021 GTI
117 Posts
Can I ask..
1) What was the hacksawing for? I can see you've sawn a little off one side of the adapter - is this just for symmetry/looks once mounted?
2) What Brodit holder are you using for your Moto, is it a universal one?

Thanks for the detailed guide. I've been getting in-app warnings about the imminent departure of 'Android Auto for (landscape..) phone screens' but ignored them..
Have bought some bits (as DRobb's thread) but won't know how they'll be until they arrive. Brodit holder looks excellent but unsure of height/screen obstruction

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. The Hama dual adapter is all one piece, so you need a hacksaw or jigsaw to cut off the male adapter sections on each side. Only takes 5 minutes and is pretty easy as you have a straight edge to work to.

2. Yes, mine is a universal one "Brodit 511479". Love it. Much easier to use one handed than the factory cradle.

·
Registered
2021 GTI
117 Posts
Thank you

I've bought these bits too; am interested in the brodit mount primarily but the Hama adapter is only £4 so have ordered one of those also. Have gone for Brodit 711042 universal mount as it's cheaper than the 511479 on Amazon at the moment and should still accomodate my phone.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let us know how you get on. I've got a Brodit mount for the driver's A-pillar as well, and will just use that if after a while I find the phone is too obstructive of the view through the windscreen, but I like the phone being close to the USB port.

·
Registered
2021 GTI
117 Posts
So the Hama adapter arrived today and I immediately see that my first question about hacksawing must have seemed daft. For some reason, from the pictures in the eBay link, I imagined three seperate squares that had been arranged together for the purposes of the photograph but, no, it is actually all molded together in one piece like that.. as you say
Anyway, I've separated them and glued the lid on, just waiting on the brodit holder.

Can I check which a-pillar mount you've used? I've a '21 GTI with beats, not sure if the trim is any different between models?

I've been using the solution in DRobb's thread for a few days now and it is fine really, I fancy trying a better holder that is lifted clear of the AC dash though..

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I check which a-pillar mount you've used? I've a '21 GTI with beats, not sure if the trim is any different between models?
Can't remember the exact model number, it's whatever Brodit's site specifies for a RHD Up. The trim doesn't vary between models, not in a way that affects the Brodit mount anyway.

·
Registered
2021 GTI
117 Posts
Quick note to say that I think this Brodit mount is very good, obviously taller than the claw mount solution but not as obstructive as I feared it might be (my phone is 160x75). I think the SW-Motech female Richter plate is the one to go for if you can find one though, slimmer and probably more secure due to metal fixings; more expensive and difficult to get hold of though. See also Herbert Richter part number 1498 (couldn't find one for sale anywhere though). Happy with it now, thanks to Drobb and tsi17

1 - 10 of 10 Posts