Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to the forum. Last night my daughter backed into a 4x4. The result is a smashed rear screen. Have arranged for auto glass to come out, however as the whole rear is glass is that just one glass panel so do you think they will come out with a full rear or is it 2 parts. I was away when this happened and the car is now covered in plastic so non idea what it really looks like beneath.

Thanks

George

·
Registered
245 Posts
It is one piece of glass glued to a metal frame.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Should be ok so long as the frame is not damaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was very disappointed when this morning I got into the Up! shut my front door and the whole back windscreen exploded into hundreds of tiny glass pieces.VW have contacted the head office in Germany to see if this is a manufacturers issue, as just shutting the door shouldn't result in the whole back window smashing.
Cost of the new window and fitting £308.00incvat!

Not happy :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have noticed that the rear screen of my Wifes Up! seems to be almost rippled when looked at from an angle. Almost like there are dimples in the glass toward the lower section. Does anyone else have this ?

I will report it to the dealer just in case it decides to shatter..

·
Registered
309 Posts
karlak said:
I have noticed that the rear screen of my Wifes Up! seems to be almost rippled when looked at from an angle.  Almost like there are dimples in the glass toward the lower section.  Does anyone else have this ?

I will report it to the dealer just in case it decides to shatter..
I saw one at the dealers that had ripples in the tailgate glass, could see it from a mile off, was glad when mine arrived it didn't have the same issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm yet to see an Up! with a perfect rear screen.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Heartagram said:
I'm yet to see an Up! with a perfect rear screen. 
Keep looking !!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's kinda worrying that the tailgate can shatter from shutting the front doors, as its very easy to really slam the up's tailgate shut when not meaning to!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good news - VW have agreed to replace the rear glass window under warranty :)

Must be an issue with some of the earlier models.
Be careful when shutting doors! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
Pip86 said:
Good news - VW have agreed to replace the rear glass window under warranty :)

Must be an issue with some of the earlier models.
Be careful when shutting doors! :D
I doubt its as specific as a model run, probably due to incorrect bonding of the screen to the frame, resulting in overstressed glass.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I popped into the dealer today to discus a Golf purchase :)

Anyway, while there I mentioned that my Wifes Up! seems to have a "rippled" glass rear screen. We checked the other cars and to be honest they were all very similar, so it looks like the manufacturing process cannot make the glass completely smooth.

I discussed with them the screens that are breaking, so look a further look at screens. It was very obvious that where the lower part of the glass is on the boot, it is very close the steel underneath. You can see this by looking from the side with the boot open. Some were almost touching. This is obviously dependant on how much bonding agent is used. I am wondering if some are made with the rear glass actually touching the steel. It could then very easily stress the glass and wouldn't take much to make it shatter, in the right circumstances.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in Australia & have owned my Up! for 14 months. The following has gone wrong since I've owned it:1.The Maps screen broke after only 6 months of use. It was stored in the same pouch as my Tom Tom had lived in for 3 years without a fault.
2.The front windscreen cracked at 4 months of owning it - the first time in 35 years of driving to have a windscreen crack or break.
3. The sensor on the coolant system kept giving intermittent signals that something was wrong even though levels were right. VW said it'd take 24 hours to diagnose what was wrong. My mechanic diagnosed & corrected a faulty sensor wire in 5 minutes.
4. The last straw was the rear windscreen shattered, exploding glass all over me when I closed the tailgate. Consequently I'm covered in cuts & scratches.

It's a great little car to drive, comfortable, roomy, economical to run. However, I don't feel it's safe with the windscreens being so thin. VW really need to do something about making the windscreens better.I'm trading it for a Suzuki Swift, as I've lost confidence in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts