Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm hoping it's ok to be cheeky and post on here when I'm not yet an owner - can I still be part of the club if I'm looking to buy?

I'm sold on the Up! but I'm caught between the Move Up! the Move Up with BlueMotion and the High Up! I really hope someone can advise me who has experience of driving both.

I drive a 70 mile round trip around twice a week and the rest of the time just pootling around locally. The longer drive is half country roads, half motorway. At the moment I have a Polo Twist 1.2 65BHP. I know the Move Up is 60BHP and the High Up 75BPH but some reviews I've read say the 60BHP is not much different. Is that right? I've test driven the High Up and really liked it but money is tight so if I can safely go for the Move Up, that would be more in my price range.

Although the High Up comes with some extras so is it worth paying more for those?

And the Move Up with BlueMotion looks to have the best fuel economy but is more expensive...

Help!

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went for a high up, but havent driven a move up to know the difference.

One thing I would say though if if you are planning on getting it from your local dealer (where I got mine) then tell them you have found another dealer that can do it for £750 cheaper. I did and they matched the price.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
either are great...real-world there is little difference in the engines.....just more toys on the high up and more personalisation possible.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Move up! and High up! are available with the same motor configs ...
You can have both with 60 or 75 BHP and both with or without BlueMotion.
I think there are no differences in the engines at all ...

As Privatedoc already wrote:
The High up! has a little bit more personalisation possibilities.
The cloth seats look a bit more "dignified" in the High up ...
The High up also has more chrome inlays inside (dash) ...
The High up has other tires and rims but is not available with "all season tires". You can only get the Move up with steel rims and all season tyres.

If you don't care about chrome inlays and you like the seats available for the Move up!, the Move up is the cheaper alternative. The leatherette seats are the same in both versions - and bring additional extras (heated front seats and more) ...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi reading what model, well the doc is right .there is not much in it .except mostly extras ,you say money is tight ,go with your head ,and not your heart ,it's a lovely car no mater what ,if it's just going to work and not much els just go for the basic. as when you go to sell their won't be much different in the price .a car is a car ,it doesn't drive better because you have heated seats ,air con .etc ,etc .hope this helps a little .. phill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your replies. I shall definitely try your trick scuba_2903!

So the BHP isn't that important then? Now I just have to decide whether to buy brand new or used! Are there any quirks I need to look at for in buying used?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi again ,best thing for you to do ,is buy a pre registered one ,from many dealers around the country .they are still brand new, and only have delivery miles on them ,that will save you quite a bit of cash ',hope this helps,,' phill

·
Registered
851 Posts
Quirks of the older ups are mainly that some of them suffer wet INSIDE windows, some of them whine and some people have had trouble selecting certain gears. I just traded in a 62reg move up for a 14reg high up and the high up has no wet window problem and no whine. I didn't have gear problems with either car - though I do wait for the car to be completely stopped before selecting reverse. I love the gadgets (M&M) and the leather steering wheel and handbrake grip in my high up, but I appreciate those things may be of no interest to you. Also my move was in candy white which is lovely when clean, but that was rarely the case with mine, so it looked manky most of the time. The new up is in tungsten silver which is a more winter-friendly colour.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You won't get much extra fuel economy from the bluemotion unless you do a lot of stop start in town driving. Some reports suggest the 75bhp motor is better for high speed driving. I tried both and couldn't tell much difference below 60mph, but have the 75bhp 'cos I wanted the up white and was prepared to pay for it; I just love the interior. Drive the Deal offer the best prices; see if your dealer will match them; mine wouldn't get close (£250 off versus £1000) so lost the sale.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll love it. Might be worth looking at nearly new if you want a high up for move up price. If you do, look for a car less than a year old (probably 13 plate on) as VW seem to have made some improvements based on comments I've read on this board.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh, and pay for the sound pack if it isn't standard! Or budget £200 (fitted) for a decent aftermarket speaker upgrade.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just been reading about your £750 off your new up ,I find it very hard to believe .unless it was a cancelation .etc even then I don't think you would get that kind of money of .as they don't make that much on them .as I say I would like to no who the dealer is .as I would buy another one. for my daughter ,I await your reply. Phill

·
Registered
851 Posts
I saved £950 by using the same dealer that Drive The Deal use but approached them directly. I also got free delivery - so the saving would have been in excess of £1K taking delivery into account.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bossphillip,

The £750 off was by using orange wheels who contacted me and said that they had a dealer in swindon that would do it.

I was willing to go there (about 40 miles from where I live) but as my local dealer matched it (2 mins walk down the road) i didnt need to.

Like AlanG says there are a number of websites that offer these discounts off the list price.

Just need to google before you pay full list price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
60ps or 75ps~
I have the Move Up! 60ps BlueMotion Technology version and do use the stop start a lot. My 5.5 mile journey to work takes 15-20 minutes now but in the summer it will be 25-45 minutes with all of the tourist traffic. You do also get the low friction tyres and intelligent alternator with the BMT which help to save fuel too. From what I read the 75ps version has more torque when you get to over 4300rpm but the gearbox is lower geared by about 7% for some reason. I test drove a 75ps Rock Up! but in all honesty I could not tell the difference, they both feel exactly the same. However I did only test drive around town and only about half a mile on a dual carriageway so didn't really try any overtaking etc.

Extras~
I do not think I would get the benefit of the M&M but I do wish I had paid the extra £100 to upgrade the speaker pack. The standard 2 speakers are absolutely fine but every now and then, I would just like that little extra. All other accessories in my opinion were not worth me pushing out my budget.

Overall~
I absolutely love my Up! and forget how small it is because it drives so much like a big car. Whichever you get, you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes tried orange wheels I am talking about the basic model with out all the goodies the most you can get of the basic model is £295 and that is a fantastic deal especially of the basic car I have just traded in my audi a1 tdi sport diesel two door.mpg does in excess of 60/to68 mpg ,the reason I am changing the car because we need a four door car and was going to buy a four door a1 and for the price difference I have bought two basic four door ups one metallic black for the wife and a metallic blue for me pre registered and still got change I cannot complain about that .but all I was saying when you buy middle and top of the range cars with the toys the dealer makes most if not all of his Money I hope this explains the dealer discounts." that's how they make most of their cash kind regards phill

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is the current discount advertised on the DtD website for a brand new (first owner) standard 3-door high up:

Drive The Deal Discounted Price:£10,084
Your Saving:£916

That's delivered to your door, or you can collect and get extra goodies thrown in. Any extras are similarly discounted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi girl*in*green.

There doesn't appear to be much difference in power between the 60 and 75bhp versions. I had a lengthy test drive in the 60bhp Move Up when I was buying mine, and was very impressed with its performance on the dual carriageway.

I went for the High Up really because I wanted Maps and More and a couple of other bits and pieces that are standard on the High Up ""” adding them to the Move Up would have closed the gap significantly on price. Also, things like the leather steering wheel/handbrake trim and alloy wheels sweetened the pot for me :)

As one or two others have said, it's well worth checking the prices on broker sites such as Drive the Deal and taking them along to your dealer when you buy to see if they'll match the price. You'll certainly save money. It seems you can save if you buy used ""” there are a few around used now and one or two people on here have picked up some bargains, and the nearly-new route is a good idea. Check the VW used car locater within their main site to see what's available.

Whatever you decide on, you'll love it ""” super car to own and drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts