Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was toying with the idea of buying a new car but was not totally convinced as I prefer to only buy what I can afford to pay outright for after spending much of my years paying off the things I bought on credit when I was younger.
Long story short - I have a Punto I bought in 2012 for £350 and the ECU is going, costing more than the car is worth to replace. Recently I had a Citroen C1 as a courtesy car after an argumentative old lady reversed into the side of my car in a car park and I had looked at buying one after this but my car ran beautifully still and as I said before, I do not like to buy on credit.So yesterday I went out to look at all the car manufacturers and what they had to offer for cost, comfort and specifications`. Below are the cars I looked at
Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 and Toyota Aygo (all the same car)
Ford Ka
Kia Picanto
Suzuki Alto
Skoda Citigo
Mitsubishi Mirage

These were all roughly the same cost to buy but after looking at insurance, fuel consumption, vehicle tax and servicing some were considerably more expensive and eliminated, others drove like cheap cars and were eliminated and some were just damned ugly.
I narrowed it down to the Suzuki Alto or Skoda Citigo so looked up on some reader reviews for honest feedback on what they were like and the Alto was quickly eliminated. So the Citigo was now a contender against buying another cheap second hand car and then I read a review which praised the car but said it was worth spending the extra few hundred and getting the VW Up! I had never even considered I could afford a VW so I grabbed my jacket and headed back out of the door to my local VW garage.
I sat down with the sales guy and went through the sales figures, the Move Up! cost more than the Take Up! but with free insurance for the first 12 months the figures closed in quite a bit and the BMT engine meant over time would actually recoup its extra cost and more with fuel and vehicle tax saving (plus I hope it'll be worth more over time). Then came the test drive, oh my god I'm in love! The car drove so much nicer than any other car I tested by far and the interior was just beautiful (just Google the C1, 107, Aygo interior for a reality check every on what you have). I was sold, where do I sign, can I drive it home today?
I would have liked the sound pack and red dash but in all honesty I'm 39 and practicality wins more over style nowadays plus I would have to wait for it to be built. We checked stock and there was a standard red Move Up! BMT 60bhp in a container awaiting shipment plus this does keep the cost down which was my main concern. My exact words were sod it, I want it, I'll have that one.
My deposit is now down and I'm just waiting for the tracking number.

If anyone is interested in the figures, my 1.2 16v Punto averages 41mpg (onboard computer reading over the past 2,700 city miles), I do 9,000 miles a year and based on £1.29 per litre, vehicle tax at £145 per year and maintenance/service/MOT at £400 per year it was £480 more a year to have the Up!. Assuming tax and fuel will go up, this cost will just come down.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I looked at the Fiat 500 and the Panda before checking out the up. I hadn't even driven the up off the VW forecourt when i turned to the salesman and said i already know i want to buy this car. He made me drive it anyway. I expect he wanted some time offsite. Anyway, i bought a move up on a PCP. However, my daily commute mileage has increased ten fold so i have used it as an opportunity to buy a new up with the mileage allowance i need and the exact spec i want which has become apparent to me during my year with the move up. I have a factory order in for a 3 door, tungsten silver high up with sensor pack. As i already have an up, it's easy for me to wait for a factory order.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just been told that my Move Up! has been delivered but I can't get to the garage until Thursday. I turn 40 this year but feel like an 8 year old waiting for Christmas to come :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts