Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my Polo 1.4 serviced and had my first encounter with an UP! in the dealers showroom.I will be changing my 1.4 Polo next year and having seen it I am very tempted to get a High Up!

Anyone changed from a Polo or similar to an UP! are you happy with your decision.
Size seems ok asit's not a lot smaller than the Polo although I am a bit concerned with the smaller 3 pot engine.
Some people will have had their UP!s for a few months now so the novelty of a new car will have passed so what are your highs and lows of UP! ownership ?

Would you buy one again ?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hey, I swapped from a golf to a up! Had it just over a month and I love it, I would deffo buy another if Anything happened to my up I can't think of any other car I'd have and I'd get the same model and spec that I have now!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ben,What is it like on dual carriageways at about 60/70mph with 1 up or 3 passengers.
Is going up moderate hills ok ?
I will take one out for a test drive but it's still good to get other peoples opinions

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Where I live is in a bit of a valley, and when I got the up! For the 1st time it struggled on the hill coming home so much so it went from 5th to 2nd but now it's worn in a little it manages it fine in 4th keeping at 40mph, I haven't been on dual carriage ways but on the motorway I think it manages fine, gets up to speed fine, even with my pal in the car and he's a big lad and stays at 70 easy creeps up to 80 fine but I haven't been passed that! Fuel Is great my mpg is great compared to the golf which averaged 28mpg, driving the up! In the same style I get around 50-54 mpg depending on what traffic I hit on the way to work! I don't miss the size of the golf I suppose I didn't use it

·
Registered
532 Posts
mine's done just over a thousand nd it's loosening up (ha, ha). It's now happy to fly along motorways and it does OK up the lakeland hills. I'm just plucking up the courage to do the lakeland passes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had my up! black for almost 4 months, it replaced my 1.9 diesel Golf 4 GT TDI. Didn't need the space of the Golf any more, we had done 152k miles in it and decided its time had come. We test drove Audi A1 and Polo as well as up! and decided on the up! for reasons of purchase price and overall value for money.

Highs:

Interior space and "airiness"
Integrated package - everything feels as though it has been designed to work together
Manoeuvrability, ride, handling
Build quality for a small, budget car

Lows:

Can't think of anything significant.

Initially the engine was very tight but it has freed up considerably now (3,500 + miles). Since purchase, economy on a mix of motorway, country roads and lightish traffic is a genuine 48.84 mpg measured from brim to brim, not according to M & M, though it does respond to a more economical driving style when I have the time and patience.

Obviously I have had to change the way I drive, with 75 bhp and 1 litre instead of 110bhp and 1.9, and don't try to overtake in 5th going up hills, but once learned, it's no problem at all. Today we drove a round trip of 100 miles 3 up and it didn't feel underpowered.

Touch wood, my up! has not suffered any of the problems aired on these pages (water leaks, gearbox noise, dodgy lights, windscreen misting etc. The only very minor fault has been the instrument lights which should come on automatically on poor light, but don't (they did when I first had it), I just haven't bothered taking it back to the dealer yet.

Overall I could not be more pleased, best of luck with yours

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a Polo 1.2 70ps owner,I'd be interested to know at what rpm does the Up cruise at 70 mph on the motorway,as my Polo constantly surprises me in how easily it can travel at that speed showing only 2900 rpm on the tach,with plenty of pulling power left for overtaking.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
polohtp said:
As a Polo 1.2 70ps owner,I'd be interested to know at what rpm does the Up cruise at 70 mph on the motorway,as my Polo constantly surprises me in how easily it can travel at that speed showing only 2900 rpm on the tach,with plenty of pulling power left for overtaking.
The 74ps High UP!does 3100rpm at 70mph

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had a polo for the weekend before picking up my up! The up! is the sharper drive although the polo hadslightlysharper brakes. The boot and interior space is better on the polo along with the dash being a slushmolding. Overall the up! is actually a nicer car to drive and more fun to won.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies.
Looks like an UP! could be my next car

This seems to be a very active forum I look forward to getting my UP! and asking/answering questions

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi AlanG

No, it was still on the original clutch, though it had had 2 turbos (one 40% paid for by VW and Beadles, my dealer), and an alternator. all the other replacements were normal wear and tear, a truly fantastic car

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh yes, it was also on the original exhaust system!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Gordoac, you must be a very gentle driver. I got rid of my Peugeot 307 SW hdi 110 because it had done a 103k and my local garage said that the most they had ever heard of on the original clutch was 100k miles. I was always really gentle with my clutch (never held the car on the clutch etc). I loved that car and now feel I was panicked into selling it. Oh well, I have an up now but I really do miss that car.

·
Registered
430 Posts
We have a Move Up BMT and a Golf Mk 6 TDI 2.0 110, they are very different cars but the UP is much easier for day to day use, commuting to work, nipping around town etc . The Golf comes into its own on longer journeys or when extra space is needed, its especially good on motorways, both cars exceed 50 mpg with ease but if I didn't have the luxury both cars I would have to go for the Golf or similar as the UP just isn't in the same league on the longer motorway journeys, don't get me wrong it's acceptably refined for longer drives but not along side the Golf. If We didn't use motorways or need a little extra space occasionally we would definitely have 2 UPs.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I had a diesel Polo 1.2 for 2 weeks on loan while I waited for my up. The Polo has a bit more boot (more useful shape too), and feels more luxurious inside due to nice plastics everywhere. It felt better on the motorway due to a softer ride, but it was less fun on smaller roads, less precision.Inside the Up is more than roomy enough IMO, comparable to the Polo, and drives much better than the diesel which had turbo lag at low speed. I got 65mpg in summer and now I get 55mpg (measured from miles done and petrol put in). If the Polo had comparable mpg and road tax, then I might have gone for the Polo, but I do 20,000 miles a year, so the Up earns its keep. Anyway, I haven't driven the 1.2 petrol Polo, and reviews say the engine is not brilliant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not so much a Polo but my wife got her new Up! Black last week and I prefer driving it to my Clio which has just shy of 200BHP. The Up is such a night place to be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had a Polo 9N 101PS 1.4l (-03) and traded it in for a Seat Mii, and i must say I'm very pleased. It feels just at swift and bity as the Polo. Only downside i've noticed is this one particular slope that is kinda hard to climb on fitfh gear wit the Mii's 1.0 liter engine.

Otherwise, thrilled with it and yes I did manage to fit a normal-sized snow blower in the boot :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts