Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we have had the Up a week tomorrow and I am still running on the free tank of fuel we got with the car!

I did a 35 mile trip this morning and managed 58.9mpg average.

Just wondering what everyone else is getting and if you have any tips on driving the car to get the best out of it :)

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've had my High Up for a week now and have topped up twice (at the same pump) to see how real MPG compares with what M&M says.

The first top-up was after a mixture of town, urban, country and motorway (at 70 MPH) - 49 MPG.

The second top-up was after a 160-mile trip on the A1 (60-70 MPH) and some quiet B roads - 60 MPG. (M&M said 64).

According to M&M, my trip to work this morning (20 miles in traffic on mainly A roads) was 54 MPG. I wont' be filling up again until it's almost empty).

Very happy with that, especially the 160-mile trip. It will only get better as the engine runs in!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats good to hear! Well done!

Do you find its quite hard work to get the high figures? Like this morning when i got nearly 60mpg, it was quite some effort on my part to really think about how I was driving.

Chris

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not really hard work, no. I'm treating it fairly gently anyway for the first 1000 km (621 miles) so haven't been putting my foot down.

I got this car specifically to save money so I'm always in an 'eco' frame of mind when I get into the driver's seat. I don't pay much attention to the gear shift recommendations (5th in a 30 limit uphill? give me a break) but change up as soon as I think the engine can cope without labouring.

I've done a lot of advanced driving (I was an IAM observer for a few years) so it's pretty much second nature now...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Umiamz said:
I've had my High Up for a week now and have topped up twice (at the same pump) to see how real MPG compares with what M&M says.

The first top-up was after a mixture of town, urban, country and motorway (at 70 MPH) - 49 MPG.

The second top-up was after a 160-mile trip on the A1 (60-70 MPH) and some quiet B roads - 60 MPG. (M&M said 64).

According to M&M, my trip to work this morning (20 miles in traffic on mainly A roads) was 54 MPG. I wont' be filling up again until it's almost empty).

Very happy with that, especially the 160-mile trip. It will only get better as the engine runs in!
Make sure you are near a petrol station when the low petrol light comes on as you can the you can almost see the gauge move as you watch!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
AGE1950 said:
Make sure you are near a petrol station when the low petrol light comes on as you can the you can almost see the gauge move as you watch!!

Yep - my Fabia was the same

Edited by: Umiamz

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
M&M is about 6% optimistic in my car .....generally average high 50's /low 60's........record for my commute of about 30miles (hypermiling technique) was high 80's (but unrealistic!)

caned round the B roads, I've had as little as 44mpg.......still bloody brilliant in my opinion !!

·
Registered
128 Posts
My overall average since March 2013 is 56.1

More than happy with that and like Privatedoc the worst was 43.7 and best 63.9

·
Registered
325 Posts
chrisash32 said:
Looking at the official figures they claim the following:

Urban 55.4
Extra-Urban 76.3
Combined 67.3

I don't think it's possible to attain those figures unless you reproduce the exact conditions. I've usually found that my real world average long-term MPG for my cars is around 10 less than the combined figure. I would be happy with a long-term average of 57 in my Up!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Umiamz said:
chrisash32 said:
Looking at the official figures they claim the following:

Urban 55.4
Extra-Urban 76.3
Combined 67.3

I don't think it's possible to attain those figures unless you reproduce the exact conditions. I've usually found that my real world average long-term MPG for my cars is around 10 less than the combined figure. I would be happy with a long-term average of 57 in my Up!

Yeh I would be happy with that too :)

I think its now just a case of learning how best to drive the car to achieve the best results.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
long term 57 is pretty easy to achieve provided the car gets a mix of roads and gradients.....It will NOT get that if it sits at 70 all day on a motorway or crawls around town all day.....

all that being said, I recently worked out that I've saved over £9000 in petrol costs alone over the last 40,000 miles of ownership.......enough for another up!

I'm well chuffed with the UP! as a long term investment.

(not to mention I get 100% back in tax being self employed and having such a low emission vehicle)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm currently averaging between 55-60mpg, as per M&M, on a cycle that largely comprises of A roads and dual carriageway driving, so I'm probably not too far off the official figures.

Moreover, I'm also pleased at how much I'm saving at the pumps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have been averaging 45-48mpg per tank but 95% of my driving is my commute to work or less and my commute is 5.5 miles. With this in mind and it being winter, the Up! is cold most of the time I'm driving and therefore very thirsty. Add in the stop/start of the BMT, it doesn't even warm up sitting in traffic. I had a long-ish A road journey (70 miles) about 3 weeks ago and I have noticed a big difference. I normally hit the half tank mark and 200 miles on the trip computer at the same time but this time it was 240 miles. The days are a little warmer now but then I do tend to cycle a lot more now we have the lighter nights so it might be a few more weeks before I fill up again. I have a 200 mile mainly motorway journey at Easter and will be filling up at each end to measure the long journey mpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some good feedback here!

Well I have only really driven the Up once before it went back to the dealership.
For nearly a week now I have been crying in a Passat Alltrack that can only do 35mpg

Want the up back so bad :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
About 320-330 from full to petrol light coming on but all really short journeys of less than 6 miles

·
Registered
252 Posts
According to the trip comp, my best figures were 67.2mpg for a 30 mile Dual carriageway & M25 commute doing 65 - 70 on speedo where possible. Over the 356 miles on that tank, including some trips intoLondon(car was then showing 70 miles range) average was 56.1mpg. 400 miles on tank is easily possible.

Worse tank has been 49.1 mpg, but that was over winter when car was sitting upto15 mins before the windscreen was clear enough to safely drive. That tank also included some spirited driving & some speeds legal only on French autoroutes.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Last summer I was getting 65 - 67mpg. This winter it has dropped to a regular 58, and even a 56 a few times on a bad route. You get more mpg in summer. The air is warmer so the engine warms up quicker, and runs rich for less time, the air is less dense, and you do not use headlights as much, which eats fuel. Plus the additives in the fuel are different which might make a small difference.

Even 58mpg is quite something. My old Ka gave ~40 mpg in winter, and ~47mpg in summer. So I pay 2/3 of the fuel cost now. Taking into account lower fuel tax (£150 py), fuel saved (~£1000 py) and lower servicing costs (the Ka was old), the savings pay for the car!

The route taken does significantly affect the mpg, of course. I had a windy uphill run, which sucked up a few mpg both ways.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts