Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up today 565.8 miles-36.01 litres= 71.35 mpg.This is achieved on my daily commute 10 miles each way,6 miles unclassified road,1 mile dual carriageway,3 miles in town,so a bit of everything including hills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Wow, that's tons better than mine. I filled up this morning, 365 miles-30.10 litres = 55.14mpg.

My commute's about the same distance, mainly dual carriageway but a fair bit of stop/starting at 8 sets of traffic lights and 6 roundabouts. I've got BMT too which is supposed to make it even more fuel efficient so slightly disappointing figures TBH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember a car driven smoothly at 70 will always be more economical than a car driven at 50 erratically!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Have you been changing gears when it tells you? As mine doesn't do that many :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bekahb,the answer is yes and no. I obey the indicator on the flat but ignore it when climbing hills,usually 500 rpm + Also I find on longer runs 2500 rpm in top gear seems to be the most economical speed. It took me 6 tanks of fuel to find the most economical style,the last 2 tanks have been 70 mpg+ so must be doing something right!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My husband has 2 identical motorcycles both of which he has rebuilt from the ground up, one is always 10-15 mpg better than the other for no logical reason. I am lucky to have a good car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
upstart said:
Hi Bekahb,the answer is yes and no. I obey the indicator on the flat but ignore it when climbing hills,usually 500 rpm + Also I find on longer runs 2500 rpm in top gear seems to be the most economical speed. It took me 6 tanks of fuel to find the most economical style,the last 2 tanks have been 70 mpg+ so must be doing something right!!
I'll have to try that & see how much I get out of a full tank :) thanks for the tip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
clowesa said:
Wow, that's tons better than mine. I filled up this morning, 365 miles-30.10 litres = 55.14mpg.

My commute's about the same distance, mainly dual carriageway but a fair bit of stop/starting at 8 sets of traffic lights and 6 roundabouts. I've got BMT too which is supposed to make it even more fuel efficient so slightly disappointing figures TBH

I have also found blue motion a littledisappointing, my m&m saysI'mgetting an average 66mpg, when others on here without blue motion are getting better than that.

think standard engine and cruse control might be a better option
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
upstart said:
Hi Bekahb,the answer is yes and no. I obey the indicator on the flat but ignore it when climbing hills,usually 500 rpm + Also I find on longer runs 2500 rpm in top gear seems to be the most economical speed. It took me 6 tanks of fuel to find the most economical style,the last 2 tanks have been 70 mpg+ so must be doing something right!!

So how many miles have you done in total now? I notice you said it's taken you 6 tanks of fuel so I'm guessing you must be 2-3k by now. I've done just under 1k & the engine's just starting to loosen up so I don't know if that makes a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
spud said:
I have also found blue motion a littledisappointing, my m&m saysI'mgetting an average 66mpg, when others on here without blue motion are getting better than that.

think standard engine and cruse control might be a better option

You may be right.

Funny too that, on the odd occasion I use the M&M, I regularly get average figures of 62-68mpg but it never works out anywhere close to this when I do the calculations after filling up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
upstart said:
My husband has 2 identical motorcycles both of which he has rebuilt from the ground up, one is always 10-15 mpg better than the other for no logical reason. I am lucky to have a good car!
That makes sense. They do say the 0-60mph times and top speed also vary between cars which are nominally the same. I suggest you keep your Up till it dies a natural death.


I must admit for my car I do not believe the official performance figures. Although 65mpg is good, I do mainly 60mph out of town, so I should surely be closer to 70 mpg. Perhaps your car is more typical and mine is below par?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
This wee car amazes me...todays commute on a relatively quiet sunny morning...WOW!!!!!!!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
clowesa said:
spud said:
 <span style="color: rgb0, 102, 255; ">I have also found blue motion a little disappointing, my m&m says I'm getting an average 66mpg, when others on here without blue motion are getting better than that.</span>

think standard engine and cruse control might be a better option
I don't seem to fair much better and mines a 75 high up and I lurrrrve my cruise control.

I get 55 mpg going out on my 8 mile commute with hills and stop start about 49 on the way home and about 70 on the motorway visit to the outlaws on Sunday doing about 65 with cruise control on. But I'm happy with that it's better than my Polo which hardly broke 40mpg!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
hills and even slight upward gradients make a big negative difference to MPG...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Oh gawd. I'm a hooligan!

Still getting nowhere near these figures here.

Averaged 47.2 on the last tank full.

Went for a blast today (28 miles) and managed 38.4
Was driving very quickly along some wide, hilly and deserted lanes.

This little beast really flies and sticks to the road like glue.

Edited by: VWXYZ
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top