Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my second tank of petrol now and am driving like an old women in an attempt to get the best milage i can,but unless i stick to around 50 mph i cant seem to achieve the fantastic figures other people claim to get.<div sab="883">I have a 75 ps high up and do not claim to be the best driver in the world, however i am driving as careful as i can and cant seem to get over 60 mpg on any sort of journey.
<div sab="883">I have only done 600 miles and know it may improve with time and climate but how on earth can anyone get 80 plus? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would say you are doing very well if you are getting high 50's. I have the 60ps with BMT and am not getting over 60 mpg, in fact I'm usually mid 50's which I am very happy with by the way. Manufacturers figures are best ignored as they are done in a lab. The true figures are what owners are reporting on this forum, I have not heard any reports of 70 mpg never mind 80mpg using a brim to brim test. The computer/ maps & more aparantly over estimates the mpg so this is also best ignored.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am happy with high 50s low 60s but i think im on course for around 400 miles per tank read somewhere that someone got 560-570 on one tank

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS by the way i traded in my volvo S 60 2.0 litre turbo petrol for my up and i was lucky to get 28 mpg on a run and around 20 mpg around town so i am happy i just want even more just being greedy

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
yiddo said:
I am on my second tank of petrol now and am driving like an old women in an attempt to get the best milage i can,but unless i stick to around 50 mph i cant seem to achieve the fantastic figures other people claim to get.<div sab="883">I have a 75 ps high up and do not claim to be the best driver in the world, however i am driving as careful as i can and cant seem to get over 60 mpg on any sort of journey.
<div sab="883">I have only done 600 miles and know it may improve with time and climate but how on earth can anyone get 80 plus? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
How are you measuring your mpg? If you are doing it on the basis of miles done and petrol put in tank, then that really is good for this time of year. Mpg is significantly hit by winter temperatures, as the engine takes longer to warm up and the air is denser. I averaged 65 mpg in summer, not I am down to 56 mpg. I have the TakeUp. I calculate the mpg myself. I also have a light right foot, although I do admit that sometimes I just want to hear the engine growling when revs get higher.

No-one gets 80 mpg from an Up. Someone claimed to get 70+ mpg, calculated, in summer, due to careful driving, a good route, and probably a good engine. I see no reason to doubt them. There is a range of variation in the engines. The higher claims are due to Maps and More overestimating.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I was getting 480 miles to a tank in the summer I am now down to 380 big difference but I'm not to worried about it, I too had a Volvo it was a v40 estate and I was lucky to get 28mpg. In all I am still very happy with my up

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've only managed over 50 mpg once, the rest of the time it has hovered between 45 to 49 mpg, the average, on the figures I have to hand being 48 mpg.

I mostly do short journeys and have yet to reach 3,000 miles since buying the car on 31/07/2012.

Nick

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I had a good clear round trip today on mostly clear motorway at 5am of 80miles, and the 60bhp move up returned an indicated 66mpg. I know that's not the necessarily accurate, but it my best yet, this tank so far I've driven 161 miles, as have an indicated 350miles left. The returned mpg is getting better with more use. I look forward to working out my actual average once I've emptied the tank!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there,I have now completed my second tank and using the brim to brim method it turns out I averaged 52mpg.<div sab="829">Now dont get me wrong I am verry happy with these figures but if I went by the maps & more figures I would be out by 8-10 mpg, I think it should be more accurate than it is.Anyway roll on the summer when my figures may be a bit higher

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've been driving a Take Up since March. To be honest I drive it pretty 'enthusiastically' making the most of that lovely forty engine and cruising at 80+ on the motorway. I get 48 - 50mpg which I think is pretty good. I get about the same from a 1.6tdci Focus. My rule of thumb is to take the published combined figure and subtract 10mpg. It isn't normally too far out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I too have a 75ps high up with 700 miles on the clock and according to m+m we're averaging about 47mpg however on a recent run of about half an hour at around 50mph this goes up to 58mpg. Even taking 10% off it's pretty good and can only get better when run in and with warmer weather.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts