Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am astonished to only be getting 30-35 miles per gallon in my move up. I drive to work and back every day. The journey there and back is 9 miles and takes around 15 minutes each way. I really thought for such a small car I'd be getting a lot more. Is anyone else getting the same sort of output?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Have you got a lead foot perchance?
I have a 60ps Move Up!, and my commute is only 4 miles eitherway, which accounts for 90% of my miles. I seem to be averaging roughly 46mpg.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Especially at this time of year your car will still not be warmed up by the time you get to work. I noticed when I had a loan polo with a computer that the average mpg didn't really start to become decent until I'd done about four miles so I'm guessing the short journeys are the problem.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mine is 14 mile each way even when I'm flooring it I am getting 53 mpg on m&m 30 mpg is rather bad
When you are approaching junctions try letting off the accelerator earlier and cruise to a stop using minimal brake

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Crickey bobbles my journey is 7miles up and down lots of hills and by time I arrive at work its between 48 and 53 mpg (depending on traffic and traffic lights) coming home I average 45 and 47 mpg (think that's because I'm in a rush to get home so abit heavy right footed) and my fill ups I average around 47mpg. I do notice at the very start of my journey I go down a hill coasting most of the time and only get 13 mpg then I have to climb a long slow hill and barely touch 25mpg! I wonder why you only get 30ish mpg? Even when I floor mine after a 7mile journey I get mid 40's!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Even if I really hammer mine I get around 45mpg, so 30 sounds atrocious. Admittedly I have a long commute but I am pretty lead footed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Steveod said:
I am astonished to only be getting 30-35 miles per gallon in my move up. I drive to work and back every day. The journey there and back is 9 miles and takes around 15 minutes each way. I really thought for such a small car I'd be getting a lot more. Is anyone else getting the same sort of output?
That dosnt sound right I would have the car checked out, in my previous job I had about the same commute in a 1999 Astra 1.6 club 8 valve and used to average 33 mpg. I've not seen any other threads on this forum reporting such low mpg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Steveod - I am getting the same in High Up 75BHP BMT. 5 miles each way to work and back. Engine doesn't get a chance to warm up. Yesterday morning it was -2 C in London. It took 18 minutes to reach 90 C and another 5-10 for the heating to kick in properly!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had an engine heater installed when my up! was delivered. I have a nice and warm car to enter in the morning and the engine temperature is about 15-20 degrees Celsius. It is the best equipment I've ever bought to my up!
I never have problems with misty windwos either!
Best bargain ever!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bear in mind my car only has about 800 miles on it and the weather has been very cold recently, but with a cold start and a school run trundle followed by a 25 mile sprint to work I see about 43MPG according to the trip computer.

On the way home with another cold start but where there isn't so much faffing about I see about 47MPG.

Assuming a standard trip over-read of about 5-10% (not yet tested it) I'm probably seeing a genuine 42-43MPG

Edited to add: I drive like a fanny though so most would probably see much better MPG on the same journey :)

Edited by: juux

·
Registered
187 Posts
Im getting about 45 average on my 75 ps engine with a mixture of lots of motorway and city driving even if I hammer it and sit at 90 on the motorway!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yeah mine is doing 45MPG per tank (Using road trip app on iPhone) I do a 12 mile round trip commute too. Might be worth getting it checked.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Started using my Mii (75) for longer journeys - a 32 mile each way trip to work, dropping off kids at school on the way, the A-roads, followed by motorway followed by some urban driving.

Just doing the school drop off and back (about a 5 mile round trip), my wife was getting low 40s mpg - measured accurately. Doing the longer journey, I get an indicated 57-58mpg on the way to work and 64-65mpg on the way home. Not sure why it is more economical on the way home. Hard to know what the actual mpg is on the longer trips as it still does some short ones as well.

But if I'm averaging about 55-60mpg in reality then I'm pretty happy. Compared with the big family cruiser I usually use, this probably halves my commuting costs once all factors are taken into account (maintenance, depreciation, etc).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Zigster: That is a very interesting post. When you drive short journeys, do you try and avoid braking? For example, keep a good distance behind the car in front, slow naturally when approaching a junction rather than braking, accelerate away gradually rather than revving its little nuts off, try and use forward observation to merge into roundabouts rather than stopping, and so on. I wonder if it is the engine warming up, or the braking that is the issue?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 60ps blue motion,im only getting 44mpg as a community nurse. Still down on urban figures

·
Registered
432 Posts
What Leif describes above makes the biggest difference of all. The rest of the things one can do just add 2 or 3 mpg each, but do add up

·
Registered
430 Posts
For short journeys I prefer to cycle but if I were unable to do this I'm not sure if I personally could be bothered to employ some of the above mentioned driving techniques to squeeze more out the fuel tank. I just like to get in my UP and drive naturally.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree with Rickenbacker. I've tried to drive as economically as possible but I soon lose the will to live and revert to normal.

Miaup, 44mpg is about right around town. Quoted figures are ALWAYS about 10mpg higher than is physically possible, they are basically fraudulent.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts