Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just had my first tank to tank check and came up with an overall 331 mile consumption of 47.2 mpg. Interestingly, this agreed closely with the computer reading of 46.3 mpg. This semms pretty good as my mileage is over country roads, villages, a few runs on dual carriageways - the longest trip being 10 or 12 miles. It's the cold starts and short journeys that are the 'killers', knocking things down to 35 or 40 mpg which don't help the average at all. My regular trip of ten miles, sticking to 30, 40 and 50 mph limits, always returns 67mpg! I'm all round very happy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That economy is pretty good I think. I'm new here (hello everyone) and have a High Up! 75ps and drive mainly in the city but sometimes on motorway and my first £30 fuel only got me 210 miles which equates to 42.5mpg which I was a little disappointed with. I don't often see my short term MPG go above 45 - 50 and it's as low as 30 when I start a journey. I have heard people say that the mpg gets better as the engine beds in (the car has still only done 300 miles) so I'm hoping there's some truth in that. I've just put £15 in the car today and I'm going to try to drive a little more efficiently (Thinking Blue!) to try to get that MPG up towards the 45 - 50 mark. I can't believe you're seeing over 60 though - that's well done!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So here's me just noticing now that you have a Bluemotion 75ps! That will explain a lot I imagine! I must keep my eyes open. I'm still going to aim for that 50MPG average though Bluemotion or not!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ESP said:
So here's me just noticing now that you have a Bluemotion 75ps! That will explain a lot I imagine! I must keep my eyes open. I'm still going to aim for that 50MPG average though Bluemotion or not!

You will. My 67mpg is the result of fairly gentle driving. I don't stick slavishly to pure ECO driving; but tend to look ahead, slow down instead of braking and get up through the gears fairly quickly (nice gear box for this anyway!). I get there just as quickly.SometimesI can't resist giving that sweet little engine a buzz or two and the mpg will drop a bit.

·
Registered
811 Posts
ESP said:

You should be able to easily achieve 50mpg. I can manage that without trying in my 75bhp non -BMT, usually I get around 52 ish. I once tried really hard and averaged 60mpg on my 38 mile commute. They definitely improve with age, both power and economy are noticeably better at 5000 miles.

·
Registered
448 Posts
60 ps Take Up! as you can see. Still on our 3rd tank full only, as yet, but maps and more shows 63 mph quite a lot. I know people say it is not that correct....and I have not done a tank to tank check yet ..so we will see. Over the weekend we did our first motorway run....about 50 miles and m&m showed 57mph at 70mph.If this proves to be about right as a real figure I will be well pleased. Loving the car more and more though!
Go well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Should be 63mpg and 57mpg....whoops!
Go well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have averaged 57.33 mpg over 2273 miles which has included town, Devon hills and Motorway driving. More than happy!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good AGE1950. I would hope to get about that once run in and loosened up a bit. Certainly wouldn't grumble at that!

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have just covered 6k in our basic 3 door Up. I had been disappointed with the mpg as we were getting about 52mpg. To put this into perspective our old Honda Jazz usually beat this and even the previous 1.6 Picasso regularly matched it. But we have just had an annoying intermittent miss fixed (it turned out to be a plug) and last week with a full car we averaged over 56 mpg. We covered about 600 miles, 300 of which were motorway at a surprisingly comfortable 70mph and the rest Devon hills and lanes, small and medium as well as two longish journeys of 190 miles each.So I am much happier. With the weather warmer too I am expecting better things with a lighter car and the usual mix of traveling.

·
Registered
583 Posts
59 mpg UK on the first tank - that is if VW filled it completely @ the factory.
No fancy driving techniques - but then I'm used to hypermiling
Just taking it easy after the CNG tanks were empty.

Switchover between CNG and petrol is very smooth - just a click of a relais !

The EcoFuel / CNG up!s are delivered with full or at least near-full tanks - all 3 of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So that's me just done about 1350 miles now in my Up!. I've had it for almost 3 months and it's completely changed my driving style. I've become really addicted to the Think Blue screen and when I go out I'm always trying to get the MPG to go as high as I can, within reason. I was concerned back when I bought the car that my MPG figures weren't looking that great - I was getting 42 or 45 mpg on a few tanks. That has started to really improve now, and certainly and Maps and More display has been showing 63 and 64mpg average on the odd occasion when driving really sedately. I think there is a lot of truth in the engine settling in and getting used to driving the car in the best way. I don't really race anymore and try not to hit the brakes as much. The motorway can be a bit tricky though - if you reach 75 or 80 mph the economy really starts to slump. All in all though best economy I've ever seen in a car I've owned.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know what you mean about getting hooked on the Think Blue screen. I try to get as many Full Bars in a row as possible. Not easy as we've still not taken Zoomy far out of town. Though we do have a dual carriageway through the middle of Bournemouth.

650 miles on the clock. Still taking it easy on the revolutions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Started getting around 380 miles out of a full tank when first purchased, now at nearly 5000 miles getting 420 miles to a tank, pretty pleased with that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Typically around 66mpg (I know M&M is optimistic) on my 30 mile commute along back roads, motorway (M25 in rush hour!) and city traffic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well done Zigster!

I was thinking about a thread to see who can get the most consecutive full bars on their think blue consumption graph.

·
Registered
583 Posts
technogogo said:
I was thinking about a thread to see who can get the most consecutive full bars on their think blue consumption graph.
It doesn't go beyond a full screen of full bars, does it ?

That's where I've been.

The think blue thing gets old really quickly when you're already driving for fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got my High Up! BMT exactly 1 week ago. Done about 350 miles so far (I live in a village). I can't say I'm impressed with the mpg so far. My village to town MPG is about 53mpg and my 1.5 hours trip on the motorway gives me 57mpg (with gently driving and 70mph). It's good by most standard but I was expecting the motorway mpg to be in the 60s and my town driving in the 50s without trying. These numbers are similar to (ok, a bit better than) my wife's 2L diesel (BMW 1 series) or our old Alfa 147 1.9JTD. Maybe it's the chrome kit that's weighing the car down. Or is the night blue paint? It's only got 3 doors so I can't blame that...

I sincerely hope you guys are right re: engine bedding in. Still love the car though!

Adrian

·
Registered
532 Posts
after about 1000 mils it will rev better and run smoother with better fuel consumption.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's not real time driving clearly you have sat on a motorway at a constant 37mph for 30miles to achieve tat figure. Over 3000 mile I've averaged 30mph and I'm working out at 54mpg for both motorway and town driving. The best figure I've achieved for a single journey is 72mpg over a 12mile distance but at the end of the ay comes back to 54mpg over the longer period.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts