Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thus far fuel economy for my Take Up has been (oldest first) 54mpg, 57 mpg, and 60mpg, calculated using the trip counter and the petrol pump reading. Not bad! Mind you, I do stick to 60mph now, since I commute 30 miles each way, and petrol is not cheap. I am also a docile driver, and tend to anticipate in order to minimise braking/stopping. I hope to see better figures as the engine wears in, and summer will help too. Anyone else got real world figures?

For comparison I had a Ford Ka and got 40mpg in winter and 45 mpg in summer, official 42mpg, and a Nissan Micra (old style) and got 45mpg, official 45mpg.

As an aside, is the petrol gauge estimated using data from the fuel pump? It does not vary when going up and down hill, suggesting that it is not mechanical. I would not be surprised if it was electronic as the car probably has the same electronics for all models.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
fuel gauge varying when going up and down hill? my polo doesnt do that and its 12 years old...

·
Registered
143 Posts
The gauge will have a sensor in the tank to check the level as it does not know how much fuel the car has been filled up with it you measure the level at the fuel pump. The pump will tell you how much is being used, although the more efficient the car the less fuel it uses and the more significant measurement errors might be in mpg calculations.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roadrunner said:
The gauge will have a sensor in the tank to check the level as it does not know how much fuel the car has been filled up with it you measure the level at the fuel pump.
Good point. Then I don't have a clue how it works. It is not that accurate, going by the level before I filled, and the amount I put in.

By the way, I had a diesel Polo on loan, and on the same route I was getting an average 60mpg, according to the on-board computer, although I was doing more like 70mph (as I was in the Up when I got 54 mpg).

·
Registered
60 Posts
My first full tank full only achieved 47mpg :( (mainly due to Beamsley hill on the way back from Skipton!) I'm trying to drive to the gear changes shown on the dash but find it a bit difficult going uphill in 5th! It seems to suggest the changes a bit too quickly, ie 4th at 26mph and 5th straight after, leaving the car struggling a bit. It'll loosen up though and the mpg will improve with time, I'm sure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
With regard to MPG, you may be interested in this website:<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/

Although a German site it does have an English version, and
on the home page if you click the make and model tabs, you can view other up! Owners
mpg.

I log all my mileage and fuel (also servicing costs) for my
Smart fortwo on this site, which is currently only 41.2 mpg, pretty poor but I
only have a small commute of 5 miles, hoping for better with the VW up! Should make
an interesting comparison.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
idletony said:
With regard to MPG, you may be interested in this website:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/

Although a German site it does have an English version, and
on the home page if you click the make and model tabs, you can view other up! Owners
mpg.

I log all my mileage and fuel (also servicing costs) for my
Smart fortwo on this site, which is currently only 41.2 mpg, pretty poor but I
only have a small commute of 5 miles, hoping for better with the VW up! Should make
an interesting comparison.
Thanks you, very useful. Looks like my figures are at the higher end, but consistent with some people. I do have long runs with few stops, and no real hills, although the Dutch might look with envy at them. A 5 mile commute is not good as the engine does not really have time to warm up so it will run rich.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had my High Up for one week and the computer is averaging 60-63MPG. Work is a 44 mile round trip which involves a mixture of town (start & stop) and dual carriage way. On the carriage way I have held it to 55-60 mph and kept my one eye on the blue gauge (sad eh). Assuming it is accurate i am more than pleased. I intend to check it the old fashion way for a month to see how both compare.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SteveF said:
I have had my High Up for one week and the computer is averaging 60-63MPG. Work is a 44 mile round trip which involves a mixture of town (start & stop) and dual carriage way. On the carriage way I have held it to 55-60 mph and kept my one eye on the blue gauge (sad eh). Assuming it is accurate i am more than pleased. I intend to check it the old fashion way for a month to see how both compare.
It would be interesting to see if it is accurate, or at least if the two calculations agree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts