Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After upgrading my headlights to MTEC back in July 2012 one of them finally died the other day so I ordered some new ones. The package just arrived and surprise surprise they are now whiter..!! To be exact, the ones I put in last year were 4,350K and the new ones are 4,750K..! They now call them "Cosmos Blue White".

Last year's bulb (MTEC on right, Philips Blue Vision on left).

And this year's bulb.

By the way if you're interested I did a comparison of the Philips and MTEC bulbs.

MTEC Super White v. Philips Blue Vision

<strong style="font-size: 11px; line-height: 15px;">MTEC Super Whitev.PhilipsBlueVision[/b]

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
vwild1 said:
They now call them "Cosmos Blue White".

Just did a side-by-side comparison in the garage, old MTEC have a blue tint to them when on. New MTEC have a very Cosmos Blue tint to them when on...!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
130/110w bulbs would be illegal for road use here in the UK but I can't imagine the police stopping anyone and asking them to remove their headlamp bulbs for inspection.

What colour of blue is cosmos blue? Is it blue, blue or whitish blue or bluish white?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robbyrook said:
130/110w bulbs would be illegal for road use here in the UK but I can't imagine the police stopping anyone and asking them to remove their headlamp bulbs for inspection.

What colour of blue is cosmos blue? Is it blue, blue or whitish blue or bluish white?

The package says 12v 60/55w ---> 130/110w which I'm guessing what they mean is it's like a 130/110w bulb. Not sure about legality here in Switzerland (or UK for that matter) but the old MTEC's were listed as approved for street use and they also said 12v 60/55w ---> 130/110w on the label.

Side-by-side, noticeably bluer than before, after both new ones were in they looked fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Apologies Paul!
The 130/110w (written in LARGE letters) is possibly the combined fire-power of both bulbs together even though 2x 60 = 120. If it is supposed to claim that each MTEC bulb is equivalent to one twice as powerful wattage-wise, then it's a con. Still, 2x 130/110w bulbs would have been pretty impressive but perhaps not too good for the wiring.

I just had a look at the packaging on my MTEC H.I.D class SuperWhite (HB4 9006)12v DRL bulbs and they are 55w with a big arrow pointing to 100w. They are only 4,350K so I'm obviously out of date already. There is some Japanese writing within the arrow but Japanese is all Double Dutch to me!

I wonder what the blue colour on most of these special bulbs is actually for. Perhaps a blue-white is a colder white and is therefore perceived as a whiter white? On the other hand it could be to try and mimic proper Xenon head-lamps when viewed from the front?

Edited by: Robbyrook

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Robbyrook said:
I wonder what the blue colour on most of these special bulbs is actually for. Perhaps a blue-white is a colder white and is therefore perceived as a whiter white? On the other hand it could be to try and mimic proper Xenon head-lamps when viewed from the front?

"Colour temperatures over5,000Kare called<i style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px;">cool colours[/i](bluish white), while lower colour temperatures (2,700""“3,000K) are called<i style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px;">warm colours[/i](yellowish white through red).This relation, however, is a psychological one in contrast to the physical relation implied byWien's displacement law, according to which the spectral peak is shifted towards shorter wavelengths (resulting in a more blueish white) for higher temperatures."

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you're looking for 'super white' headlights, then 5000K is spot on: lower temperatures appear yellow and higher appear blue. At least to my eyes

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought the latest Osram Night Breaker Unlimited headlight bulbs recently and sadly they are only rated at "up to 4,000K" so I'm still in the yellow zone.
1,000K is a huge difference when compared to the MTECs. No wonder my LED DRLs still look pure ultra-white when compared to the headlamp bulbs. Oh dear, I feel yet another set of headlamp bulbs coming on if only to get a better colour match!

<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><t><tr><th scope="col">OSRAM Night Breaker Plus</th>
<th scope="col">
OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited</th>
</tr>
</t>
<t>
<tr>
<td>
Up to 90% more lightcompared to a standard bulb</td>
<td>
up to 110% more light compared to a standard bulb</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
Up to 10% whiter light than a standard bulb</td>
<td>
Up to 20% whiter light than a standard bulb</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
Up to 35m longer light beam compared to a standard bulb</td>
<td>
Up to 40mlonger light beam compared to a standard bulb</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
Colour temperature: up to 3700K</td>
<td>
Colourtemperature: up to 4000K</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
97 Posts
The MTEC H4's that Paul fitted seem to be £13.45 from HIDS Direct including FREE P&P. This seems to be incredibly cheap so I'd better buy a pair just to try them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts