Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was ordering some MTEC Super White 4350K foglight bulbs and saw that they also have a Super White 4350K H4 for the headlights. Since I really like my MTEC Super White DRLs I figured I'd change my Philips Blue Vision H4 over to MTEC to keep everything in the same light color spectrum. The Philips are rated at 4000K so I did a side-by-side comparison between the two, to be honest I really didn't see much (if any) difference between them.

So here they are still in their original packaging (hope you can read Japanese).

Now with the covers removed.

And finally a side-by-side of MTEC H4 (right) and a Philips H4 (left). You'll notice that with the MTEC H4 the glass is a slightly darker shade of blue and the bulb itself is larger in size.

Original foglight bulb on the left side with the MTEC Super White on the right side.

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi b82ry - the packaging seems to say 'HID Class Halogen Bulbs', so I think they are halogen upgrades. True HID are not strictly bulbs as there is no filament - the light is generated by an arc (spark) between two poles surrounded by xenon gas. That's why they are often called burners rather than bulbs.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so this morning (pre dawn) on my way to work I was able to get a good look how the MTEC Super White bulbs compared to the Philips Blue Vision and I have to say I was pleasently surprised..! As far as the color goes there's not much difference between the two but what I did notice was how filled out the light was. With the Philips the light on the road seemed geometric with rough lines but the MTEC lights give a smooth evenly distributed light without any odd light and dark areas.

So I'm glad I gave the MTEC's a try and will be sticking with them for the foreseeable future. Now all my forward lighting is MTEC, headlights, DRL and fog lights (turn signals are Philip Silver Vision).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Haven't changed a single thing on mine yet but tempted to change the bulbs. Are they MTEC's legal and how much do they cost?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whassup said:
Are they MTEC's legal and how much do they cost?

I know the Philip Blue Vision are (clearly stated on the packaging as legal in all Euro zone countries) but I'm not sure about the MTEC bulbs. They are 4350K were as the Philips are 4000K (if that makes any difference to the law). As far as price goes they cost me 40.- swiss francs for 2 headlights and 40.- swiss francs for the 2 fog lights. If you're in the UK I know there is an online dealer who sells them there but sorry, don't have the address handy.

edit: I did find an address via a google search and they look to be a **** of a lot cheaper in the UK than they are here..!!

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-h4-12v-55w-super-white-hid-class-upgrade-bulbs/

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
423 Posts
Seems very reasonable! Reckon it would be a good idea to change them before autumn/winter. Cheers for the info!

·
Registered
30 Posts
VWILD, I am considering Philips, they got a great review in a motor mag recently. Are the headlight bulbs easy to fit, please can you give the fit lowdown as I have 2 fingers and 8 thumbs.

Edited by: sgrahams

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello,
Could you remind me which types are DRL and FOG lights.
Main light is H4 i think.
Thanks !
Phil

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
filparis15 said:
Could you remind me which types are DRL and FOG lights.
Main light is H4 i think.

Here is the list of all front end bulbs:

H4 = Headlight

HB4 (9006) = Foglight

W21/5W = DRL

PY21/W = Turnsignal

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Paul, you are luminous !

Philippe

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Instructions for replacing bulbs are near the back of the manual. Look in the index for the word Bulbs", it has a couple of diagrams which are really excellent when matched with the real thing under the bonnet/hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts