Up Owners Club banner

Do they cause long term damage to the body where they are clipped?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• Don't know

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't make up my mind.. If I have mudflaps fitted, I am worried they will cause the long term risk of corrosion where they are clamped on at the front, by rubbing and trapping grit etc...

What do you think?Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
172 Posts
I still can't decide as I think they look naff! VW used to do really nice fitted mudflaps with a wee VW logo on them in white. I have these fitted to my 9 year old Lupo and they still look great. The problem with the Lupo and the Up! is that the rear wheels throw up a lot of dirt on to the near vertical back end and mudflaps really do help to reduce this problem. I'm really torn as to what to do...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree with you MarkyMark

·
Registered
99 Posts
I want mudflaps on my UP!. They protect the bottom of the car and cars behind me, I guess. I will try to order my own VW-logo stickers, on the net, for the flaps in the back. Just so people can ask me:"Where did you by those?" Ha!

Regards
A.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darn, this is no help at all lol... Can you buy retractable flaps? My dash will have a spare button hole, one push and they could slide out in the rain, then pop up again after.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rednaxela said:
Darn, this is no help at all lol... Can you buy retractable flaps? My dash will have a spare button hole, one push and they could slide out in the rain, then pop up again after.
Bond in an up!
Edited by: TwoUp

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I'm having the same issue deciding whether to get them or not, I'm swaying to not as after talking to my brother who I respect when it comes to car talk, says it will cause long-term damage.... but then they do protect short term.... decisions decisions....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have put mud flaps on my UP! Front & Back
They do keep the dirt off the back of the car, after doing a journey yesterday of over 250 miles in pour weather conditions my upsy is no where near as dirty as it would have been with out them. I know because before I added my mud flaps I did a similar journey in similar conditions and what a dirt little upsy I had at the end of that. This made my mind up that they would be beneficial no matter whether they look great or not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i think they do a short term job, but cause a long term problem, the dirt issue is simple, keep your car clean. My issue is, if you want to fit bigger wheels, they will need to come off anyway. Seem alot of money as well.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Ive been looking at lots of city cars driving around today, and I would say around 90% dont have them, and definatly look better for it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have bought them for the front and the rear. They keep the
car clean and also reduce the damage to the paintwork by stones i.e. stone
chips.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at a Take up yesterday without flaps, and I have convinced myself that they are a good idea. There seems to be quite a sturdy plastic section on the front arches in front of the metal body where the flaps would go. I think that as long as keep a careful eye on them, then they will do more good than bad.
I wonder if allthe wind drag will lower the MPG though...

·
Registered
198 Posts
My view is just save the money (or spend it on cleaning materials) and then clean the car each week

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you make a thin mudflapwith "smart"-foam on one side and the foam shrinks, when it dries up, you can make flaps that fold up! when they get dry and straiten out, when wet.

It's simple, now we just need someone to make them :)

Regards.
A.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts