Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took delivery of my up! white just over 24 hours ago and have driven 200+ km up to this point and am pleased to report it's "a keeper"..!

Modifications so far include new headlight bulbs (Philips Blue Vision ultra) and new (non orange) signaling bulbs (Philips Silver Vision). Only thing is now the daylight driving lamps look very yellowish in comparison to the headlights. Also changed the license plate frames to blank ones that don't advertise where I bought the thing (the dealer would never agree to my advertising rates!).

The leatherette seats are very comfortable and hold me nicely in place when go-carting around corners.

The glass sun roof works fantastic, even at higher speeds (120kph) with very little wind turbulence within the car. Only down side is you need to remember to close the roof before turning off the car. Several times today I had to put the key back into the ignition and turn it to the on position to close the roof (annoying but guess I'll get used to it).

Engine (75hp) is peppy but from 80 to 120 in 5th it's somewhat sluggish.

Transmission
is tight and shifts nicely but reverse gear seriously needs a lock out as I found out when downshifting aggressively from 5th to 4th, I hit reverse instead..! Oh well.. transmission is "broken"-in now.

Sport suspension is fantastic and am absolutely pleased that I went for it. Though only slightly firmer than an up without it the big plus has to be the aesthetics.

Electric windows
don't seem to go down (or up) without having to hold the stupid button the whole time they are traveling. Very annoying (and unsafe). Speaking of "unsafe", who was the idiot at VW that decided to skip putting a switch on the driver's door to operate the passenger side window..?! Heck, I would have even paid for the extra button if it was at least offered as an option..!!

My up! has the sound plus option of 6 speakers which do sound better than the demonstrator I drove back in February which only had 2 but they still fall short of what I'd call "high fidelity". Might look into upgrading the speakers in the not too distant future and adding some sound proofing behind them as well.

Maps & More works very nice but playing/searching for music from it's SD card isn't very easy and downright dangerous while driving. A pity the thing doesn't do playlists. I even got it to have a system crash once while selecting a song to play!

Ok.. so those where some of the points that really jumped out at me for now. Maybe my review was a bit "critical" but I still think it's a great car and am very happy to own one.

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
vwild1 said:
Engine (75hp) is peppy but from 80 to 120 in 5th it's somewhat sluggish.

With a small car like this you won't get much in 5'th at 60mph. You need to drop down, to 4'th or 3'rd. Then you might be pleasantly surprised at the oomph.

vwild1 said:
Transmission
is tight and shifts nicely but reverse gear seriously needs a lock out as I found out when downshifting aggressively from 5th to 4th, I hit reverse instead..! Oh well.. transmission is "broken"-in now.

I've never done that in ~5 weeks of ownership. My Ford Ka was the same, and in 10 years I never did that. But, the Pole loan car had reverse gear at top left on the gear change (if that makes sense) and it had a push down lock. Twice I almost reversed into someone, because I was taught to grip the lever firmly and that effectively unlocked the reverse when I meant to select first. I loathed the Polo reverse gear.

vwild1 said:
Electric windows
don't seem to go down (or up) without having to hold the stupid button the whole time they are traveling. Very annoying (and unsafe). Speaking of "unsafe", who was the idiot at VW that decided to skip putting a switch on the driver's door to operate the passenger side window..?! Heck, I would have even paid for the extra button if it was at least offered as an option..!!
Ah, I have a special eco window control, that is 100% reliable, and uses no electricity. I do agree a passenger window button would be nice. I find some electric windows annoying as you can never get the opening you need i.e. wide at slow speed, narrow at high speed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have to say i agree with all your comments & i would add one more wish that is for seat position memory it is a pain having to reset every time you need to access the back.Then it is built down to a price but as you say it would be nice to have these options available as extras.That said it is a great little car and a worthy replacement for the Lupo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, I am new to the Forum.I Have had my Up Bluemotion for three months now,and i dont find it as good as the write ups,petrol consumption not as good as hoped.I purchased the maps and more mainly to check fuel consumption but find it is not very accurate.The fuel gauge is out by about a Gallon and a half ,when i last filled it up it said I had used only five and a half gallons but I had to put in over six and a half gallons to fill it up.I filled the car up with petrol last week and have done 80 miles and the gauge has not moved and the maps and more states my range should be 430 miles,while it is normally 380 miles.The car is going into the garage on Monday to gets this fixed,has any one else had this problem.Sorry if I have posted this on the wrong place

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hi Big Alex

What will they fix? Are they just resetting the M&M?
It's renowned for not being 100% accurate

·
Registered
525 Posts
I find I can drive 100 miles before the fuel gauge moves! Then it accelerates downwards going faster the nearer it gets to empty. Most cars I've had have gauges a bit like this. Actual fuel used as measured at pump v actual miles travelled is the most accurate way to check mpg. Getting maximum mpg out of the car seems to be down to how you drive. I find it quite hard to do as the car wants me to. It feels as if I'm changing up too soon and it means moving away relatively slowly from junctions. But even if I drive the way I feel is right for me it still uses a lot less fuel than my old car.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hi big alex, welcome to the forum.

To be honest, I've hardly used the M&M and tend to rely on the age old method of working out fuel consumption. The mpg figures I'm getting aren't quite as good as I'd hoped for either but they're still in the 50 somethings and I'm hoping they'll improve now the engine's loosened up.

Doesn't take anything away from the overall driving experience and look/feel of the up! though. I have zero car tax, cheap insurance and a very respectable mpg from a car that I absolutely love, inside and out. That'll do for me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts