Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried non-OE armrests, like the ones you find on eBay for about £50, in the past and have generally found them wanting. They wobble about like crazy and are not sturdy enough to take the 'pressure' of an arm, IMO.



I therefore bit the (expensive) bullet and bought an OE armrest from my local Seat dealer for ‚¬150. AFAIK, VW are not selling them (yet), so I had to go with Seat. It is 100% black, which although doesn't really match my Dark Denim seats and off-white doors & dash, does go with the carpet and handbrake, so no real problem.

It is a bit of a pain to fit, as the handbrake shroud/cupholder needs to be dismantled and then trimmed slightly with a Stanley knife at the back to accommodate the metal mounting bracket supplied with the armrest. I took my time to ensure an OE-look finish and maybe spent 90 minutes on it in all. The instructions are OK, but not always 100% clear, so I found myself having to stop from time to time and figure out exactly what they were trying to achieve.

The end result is worth the expense and trouble, IMO. Having a rest makes for a more relaxed driving position and the rest really doesn't interfere much with the handbrake. You lose the rear cupholder, but the rest does incorporate a felt-lined, oblong-shaped cubby hole which is big enough for a phone or a pair of sunglasses, for example.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
At the risk of another battering. Fixing an armrest means losing a cup holder and it interferes a bit with the handbreak. You do benefit from a more relaxed driving position but presumably you only have one hand on the steering wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
I'm going to play travel monoply on mine when I get it!! And use it as a table when I get my dinner in my car haha! Looks smart tha one, doesnt look out of place! I use my cup holder as a chewing gum and keys holder so wont be affected when I fit a armrest!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
does the top slide forward at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beevee said:
At the risk of another battering. Fixing an armrest means losing a cup holder and it interferes a bit with the handbreak. You do benefit from a more relaxed driving position but presumably you only have one hand on the steering wheel.

Lol, no problem :) You do lose the cupholder, but I never used it anyway, and neither do the kids at the back. In our house the Up! is a school-run car only, not a GT. It does interfere a little bit with handbrake operation, but not as much as I thought it would and no worse than cars with armrests as standard.

I am 6'3"; my arms are long enough to have my elbow on the rest and my hand on the wheel :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Privatedoc said:
does the top slide forward at all?

No. The only adjustment is for angle via a very-difficult-to-use knob, but on maximum setting it is perfectly horizontal, so I don't see why anyone would want to lower it really.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
Thanks for the info, also being 193cm, I could steer and rest elbow at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
What's all this about having one hand on the wheel?! What's that all about? How am I supposed to use my phone ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
Dadog said:
What's all this about having one hand on the wheel?! What's that all about? How am I supposed to use my phone ?

Use your knees...DER
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
UpMan said:
Privatedoc said:
does the top slide forward at all?
No. The only adjustment is for angle via a very-difficult-to-use knob, but on maximum setting it is perfectly horizontal, so I don't see why anyone would want to lower it really.
But it does slide about 10cm forward and back... just try it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GunSpeed said:
But it does slide about 10cm forward and back... just try it
Oh wow, just went out to try it and you're right, the lid cushion part does indeed move forward a couple of inches. How many 000s of miles would I have driven before I realised?
Thanks for the heads-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
UpMan said:
Oh wow, just went out to try it and you're right, the lid cushion part does indeed move forward a couple of inches. How many 000s of miles would I have driven before I realised?
Thanks for the heads-up.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top