Up Owners Club banner

My first week with my Up!

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  matt-drummer 
#1 ·
I collected my Up! White last Wednesday morning.

I have to say I absolutely love and I'm not missing my SEAT Leon Cupra R at all!

My Up is very well appointed with every extra and I find it a really nice place to be.

I have one problem with it, as someone else had with their White model, my petrol cap is the wrong colour, I assume it's Candy White as it creamy and sticks out like a sore thumb!

She told me they were all coming like that, nobody had ever mentioned it and that Volkswagen don't accept that it's wrong, she took one look at my face and told me she would get it sorted! It's going to be repainted tomorrow.

I can't fault my dealer, they have been brilliant. Wolsey Volkswagen in Ipswich, go and see Leanne if you're in this area and want t o buy a car, she's very good.

I have only done 130 miles in the car, which is about normal for me in a week, but I went to my parents Friday evening and got an indicated 68mpg and when I came home on Saturday I got 77mpg! I realise that the computer is a little optimistice but my SEAT only ever did an indicated 34mpg for the same journey driving very carefully.

I also got 65mpg on a 3 mile journey from cold across Ipswich involvingeight roundabouts and and three sets of traffic lights where my SEAT would do 19mpg! The sports suspension is very noticeable, it's far less wallowy than the one I test drove and I barely need to slw down for roundabouts, it corners remarkably well with little body roll.

I'm drive large trucks on a regular basis and I'm very good at anticipating other traffic which helps a lot. I wish I could drive the car exactly how I wanted to, I think I could do even better but I have to balance it with not upsetting people, everyone's in such a hurry. I have no problem keeping up with traffic in this car though, it's brilliant.

Getting the best fuel consumption possible seems to be my new hobby.

The car seems really well built, it has a really solid feel and everybody that has seen it and been it it thinks it's brilliant even if it's not suitable for their needs.

It looks very pretty and people were stopping to look at it in the local supermarket.

The sound pack is great, once I adjusted the treble and bass it's perfect.

Maps and More is excellent, I don't have it connected all of the time as I have the multifunction computer with the display in the dash, I did find it interesting to see how quickly the water temperature rose, it gets to 90 very quickly and stays there as it should, I'm not entirely comfortable without a temperature guage but I'm sure I'll learn to trust the car.

The hill assist is actually very clever and useful when in traffic, I still use the handbrake on a hill but I can feel that it has worked sometimes when I have come to a brief stop on a small incline, it's a neat feature that I'll have to check out on a proper hill with nobody behind me.

Overall I have nothing bad to say about the car and it's all that I hoped it would be, I had a brand new Polo Match for four days last week, my dealer told me before my test drive that the Up was nicer to drive, and having had both in succession I have to agree with her, I liked the Polo and thought I might be disappointed with my Up, but I wouldn't swap for anything now!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, the petrol cap is very wrong and I could never have accepted it, even if I had to pay for it or do it myself (which I could).

One touch windows and driver's side operation of the passenger window would have been nice and their ommission does feel like something is missing. I wish mine had been available with BMT when I ordered, next time maybe.

My car wasn't cheap, I could have cut my motoring costs a lot further, but I can't think of anything else for the money that would have interested me, it's such a cool looking car both inside and out. To me, they are right for the time we live in and for people like me that travel alone or with only one passenger most of the time. They also have an air of quality and good taste about them, but that's probably just my biased opinion!

#6 ·
A nice review and I hope you continue to enjoy your car.

With regards to the fuel filler cap, I suspect the one fitted to my car is the wrong shade too. However, with my Mr Magoo eyesight, I find it difficult to tell. On gloomy days it looks wrong (slightly) but, when it is brighter, it looks fine.

I've already had my car back at the dealership in relation to a rattle in the driver's door. Unfortunately, they claimed they could not hear it when the car was road tested (they must have had cotton wool in their ears). So I'm not confident they would agree on the fuel filler colour issue either.

It's not a big deal for me though - the car is usually covered in grime anyway.

#7 ·
I have just taken my car in to have the fuel cap repainted but Volkswagen have supplied a new one so they fitted it whilst I waited.

Apparently, the caps are painted in another factory and they have all, or at least some of them, havebeen painted the wrong colour.

#8 ·
My petrol cap is still not right, I kept looking at it trying to convince myself that it was ok, but it isn't.

I've had no argument from the dealer and the car is going away for a few days to have it sorted properly at a bodyshop that will be able to match the paint to the car. The new cap was painted with paint mixed in accordance with the paint code but it's just creamy compared, I can't live with it.

I said that I don't care if I have to pay for it, I just need it to be the same colour as the rest of the car, it just looks so wrong.

#10 ·
They won't let me pay, it's Volkswagen's problem and they need to sort it, but it seems to fall on the dealer, i like them and don't want to cause them too much trouble, it's just my nature.

It's being sorted anyway, painting bits of the car in different places is never going to work.

Even a five door model they have in the showroom in white has the same issue.

#11 ·
Talking of different shades of white. I have an Up!White and the petrol cap is hidden behind the little door thingy surely. Or is it this little door you are talking about.

The petrol cap to me, is the thing you stick the key in to turn the lock, then remove from the tank to fill it.

At the same time I have noticed that the top inch of my bonnet looks a shade darker than the rest of it. I am wondering if this is caused by the heat of the engine? Has anybody else noticed this?

#16 ·
Hi matt-drummer

I collected my 5 door UP! White - last Friday and simply love it. I spotted my unregistered car in the showroom the previous Saturday and liked every thing about the way it looked. However being already in the showroom it obviously came as it stood and other than a full sized spare - it seems to be a fairly standard UP! White. However the salesman wasn't sure if it has sports suspension. I think it It handles realy well and feels on the firm side, but I havent driven any other UP!'s to compare the ride - so am unsure if they all feel like that or not.

In your hand book - What option codes signify the sports suspension or looking underneath the car - what colour paint dabs do you have on the rear springs?

just like yours the fuel flap was a complete mismatch but was changed by the dealer before I collected it - the one originally car stood out massively - I spotted it as soon as I set eyes on it. But to be fair to the dealer said they had already defected it as a warranty claim with VW. So it was all sorted when I picked it up last Friday.

Tried the sat nav for the first time this evening and was well impressed and so far just love everything about it.

All the best.

#17 ·
I do recall looking at my front springs and they have two green stickers and one white sticker on them.I couldn't see the rear springs when I looked today.I had my test drive in May but still recall that the car was really soft and wallowing a little, my one is completely different, it's very noticeable. I was concerned about how to tell whether the sports suspension had actually been fitted, now I have no doubts it's on there.

I have just come from a SEAT Leon Cupra R that was relatively low and stiffly sprung/damped, it's not a million miles from what I have now.

My petrol flap is turning into a bit of a nightmare, I'm not convinced that they can rectify it it easily, I just can't live with how it is. Otherwise, I think it's a great car.

Edited by: matt-drummer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.