Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up what I thought was my new shiny red high up! With BMT - very good sales experience and went for a 100 mile jaunt to get a feel for her and that's when I discovered it wasn't mine...

...it didn't appear to have bluemotion which we'd paid for!

Basically the stop start didn't seem to work despite the optimum running conditions - I checked the tailgate for the logo which wasn't there, I checked the user manual which pointed out that there should have been a button to override the stop start...this is a button I don't have!

So then I finally checked the co2 emissions on the V5 and low and behold it's 108g/km which confirmed my fears - this was not the car I ordered ):

I've called the dealership who went through their paperwork and called back to confirm they've made a balls up somewhere and the wrong model has been registered to me - they called me back after 30 mins and said they can offer me a black one (colour not edition) or a silver ''at no extra cost' but I'll have to wait for another red one!

Not sure what to do really.

J

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You should receive what you have ordered and if they can't do that immediately they should provide you with a car until it arrives. Of course if you want to take an alternative colour that's your choice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Never heard of this before, up to you if you accept another colour. If you hold out for your original choice id say theyd have to load you a car as they admit its their error and id push for some credit against something off the accesories list as your not happy. At the end of the day they should make it right and youd need to be happy. Id also now only be talking to a manager. Remind them ....repeat business is based on happy customers. Good luck.

On the stop start, mine works after a few minutes everytime and im more than happy with it.Edited by: spcvw

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Bad thing!!!

I love my (very special) black up! ...

If you WANT to have a red up! and your heart says nothing but red ... WAIT ...
Otherwhise you will regret it all the time!

Drive to the dealer. If you fall in love with the black or silver up!, take it - but only if you fall in love!
Don't be angry but "open" to the other colours. Take the time to listen to your heart ...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Honestly, i would take the black one, it looks fantastic.

It's all personal preference at the end of the day but i'm not a fan of red cars, especially flat coloured ones... Think of it this way, your getting a £500 extra for free.

Depends how badly you wanted the red one and what you think of black cars.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you have the years free insurance from vw, if so its sorted. If you found your own insurance and change car details so soon they may try n hit you with an administration (rip off) charge. If thats the case id be passing it on to my dealer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You will surely have gained with this offer.

The silver or the black are both metallic options. Both look great. And you won't have to pay any extra. Furthermore, not many people can say they bought a new up on the monday, then changed it for another new up a couple of days later. The red is ok but my favourite non metallic colour is mayan blue. The black looks classy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi on reading your post if you still want your red car especially if it is what you want
Tell the dealer you want to keep the car you have until the new one you had on
order arrives.also check with the insurance company that you will be changing
The car when it arrives at the dealers,and will it cost if so make the dealer aware
Of the cost and get it in writing just to cover yourself.
Regards phill.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys, good to see this seems to have attracted a bit of attention here!To put people's minds at
rest I'm on the 7days drive away insurance this week which then switches to the
years free VW insurance so we're covered with the costs on that.

RE: colour - I'd have a
black one without too much quibble as I quite like the black ""“ the higher residuals on themetalliccoloursaren'treally an issue as we plan to keep this one till it's broken""¦trouble is it's
a shared car with the wife and she really wants a red car, which when you're
buying new should be the choice you end up with! Thing is if we're having to wait 16weeks + for
a red one inthecorrect trim I want VW to cover the cost of adding the panoramic roof as it was
an option we really wanted at the time butdidn'twant to wait the 4 months they
were quoting at the time.

So the current state of
play is; the dealership is currently looking at the lead time of a red high up
with BMT and he's also crunching the numbers to see if he can come up with a
figure to keep us in the none BMT model we've been given ""“ other than the fact
I'd have to pay VED on none BMT model from year 2, is there any real day-to-day
difference between running a BMT and none BMT up? I drive in London daily and spend a fair bit
of time stationary at lights for 20seconds+ which was my reason for opting for the
BMT model, I'm guessing that the real mpg is probably negligible if I can make
a decent saving on the model we've been given but I do need to consider the
life time running costs as this car will be a commuting tool for as long as we
can viably keep it on the road.

Let me know your
thoughts.

J

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm not a great fan of BMT although I'm sure it's fine. For me it's something else to go wrong. When reviewing the Up! BMT Whatcar thought that you would have to be a regular user of the London congestion charge zone to justify the BMT.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly the up is no longer congestion
charge exempt as the co2 threshold has been slashed by TFL meaning BMT is now
way above the permissible limits for free congestion charge.(the e-up is CC
free if you've got 20k knocking around for the privilege)We'd previously had a quote from a
main dealer via a broker for an up without BMT which was a saving of
around £650 off rrp of the none BMT car, when that dealer contacted me they
also offered £250 more for my part ex than we got ""“ we only didn't use them as
we would have had to travel to collect the car and neither of us had the time
to do it, plus I wanted to build a relationship with our local dealer as the
aftercare is important to me.

I've armed our dealer with the fact
that [including the part ex] we could have saved the best part of £900 off the
rrp of the model we've ended up with, and that they would need to factor in the
fact that we'll be paying ongoing VED on the model, plus the minor additional
running costs, and also they need to factor in the inconvenience to keep us in
this one ""“ I think that's very fair all things considered but I send that email
a few hours ago and it's all gone quiet.

Edited by: pumpy55

·
Registered
109 Posts
Beevee said:
I'm not a great fan of BMT although I'm sure it's fine. For me it's something else to go wrong. When reviewing the Up! BMT Whatcar thought that you would have to be a regular user of the London congestion charge zone to justify the BMT.
Your statement about more to go wrong doesent add up. If your worried about more to go wrong why buy a high up with " more to go wrong" and not a move up your answer will be because it had the extras we wanted. Surely wanting BMT is the extra they want so wheres the point ? If you have anything above a take up you accept " more to go wrong"

To prove a point .... You dont have BMT ....so dont see the point of it. I love it on mine, guess what.... I have it!!!!

Does it save petrol , of course not.... Vw spend fortunes designing features you dont really need and dont work.

To the op, gt the best deal you can, youve been inconvenienced. If you want red have it. Its YOUR CHOICE. people will always say i prefer black , guess what....thats what they have!!!!!!!

Dont put somebody off something just because you dont have it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha I wont let the internet indoctrinate my mind - I just wanted to know what peoples thoughts are as to whats reasonable for the inconvenience.

The simple facts are, I wanted a highup with BMT and the Mrs wanted a 'red car', she doesn't want to compromise on the colour but I'm willing to forgo the BMT if the price is right - I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Little update for you:

So this morning I emailed
the dealership and basically gave him the quote I'd been given from a broker for
a none BMT model and said that if he could match that and add some compensation
for the increased running costs of this model then I'd consider keeping the car
""“ more than fair I thought as that's the deal I could have gotten elsewhere and
if I give this car back after getting a replacement built it's going to knock a
fair few quid off it's value?

So the dealer just got
back to me and said there's no way they can match the brokers price and they don't
see how they can offer the car at that price as there's no money in it etc etc
etc, I've been given the following options:

Option 1:

They order me the correct
spec and I wait circa 16 weeks ""“ however we can use the car we've been given
until it arrives ""“ no compensation offered.

Option 2:

I can keep the wrong car
and they will give me £480 - bear in mind when you look at the like for like value
of this I'd only be £229 better off and have a car Ididn'tchose. [plus I'm not sure I'd actually be better off oncetheinterest etc had been calculated onthefinance]

So this lead me to ask how does
this affect the finance as I've still got the finance on the more expensive
car; in option 1 I'm paying more than I should have to for 16 weeks whilst our new order is built, in option 2
I'm paying the rates on a finance package beyond the value of the car ""“ he said
I can pay the £480 they give me off the finance to make it balance out ""“ to my
mind thisdoesn'treally work andisn'tmaking it right ""“ I'd want a new and accurate
finance agreement drawing up for the modelwe'vegot if we kept it?

I don't know what the
heck to do now ""“ obviously I'm going to have to wait 3-4 months for the car we want to be ordered/delivered on top of the month we already waited for it - furthermore I'm paying the finance
on a model I'm not getting to drive and truth be told I expect it's a breach of
contract on someones part somewhere, I'll have to check with theinsuranceand VW finance tomorrow.All this and I'm getting nothing in return plus I'm doing all the chasing.

Edited by: pumpy55

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My mind ...

If you can keep the car for 12-16 weeks this should be enough - as you get a brand new car then ...
(and this will be 64 plate instead of 14 plate??? Sorry - I'm German) ...
To my mind, you might even pay a bit (but not full!!!) for using the wrong car ...

If you keep the wrong car, you should get the difference between BMT and non-BMT (what you ordered and what you have got).

Option3:
If you have a written order: Give back the car and get back the money as this is not the car you ordered. Buy it at another dealer (which causes a lot of problems having no car) ...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do agree it
'mothballs' our purchase for 3 months which has its benefits - the car we have
is already a 64 reg so there won't be a gain there.

Maybe
I'm being unreasonable [which I may well be as I've never been in this
situation before] but I just feel so disappointed having gone over and over
everything before deciding to buy new.

I
don't think we can hand the car back as we've executed the finance agreement -
and that's the last thing I want to do.

I've
pinged a link to this thread to VW UK to see if they have any thoughts on it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My take, i would waIt for the car you ordered as they are letting you use the other.

I paid a deposit then first payment is a month later on finance. Assuming your the same i would put this to them....

As you have not recieved the car you ordered you dont expect to make your first payment until you have recieved the correct car. That way you get a few months with no payments. I certainly would not make a payment on a car that will arrive 16weeks later!!

Its their cockup,,, someone is definatley in deep doo doo behind the scenes . Their hoping you take the wrong car as it saves them having to shift a brand new second hand car lol.

Check your finance im sure its first payment AFTER you recieved the car for a month. Which you then inform the finance co that you will expect the new car in 16weeks and thats when finance begins.

Somewhere between the dealer and finance if a payment is taken without recieving goods then theres breach of contract.

You are in a very strong if annoying position.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just read through again.

If their prepared to insure the wrong car then the correct one for a year in total thats fine.
Finance should start when you recieve your ordered car. Your finance cant start until youve got the new ar so the dealer would have to arrange that with finance and i be sat in front of him on the phone while he did it to e sure.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hope you don't get me wrong ...

It was indeed ALL the dealer's mistake!!!!

BUT when you receive a car, you have to make yourself sure that this is the car you ordered.
You
can deny the car when receiving it. Lawyers may discuss if the missing
BMT logo is enough or not to find out the mistake. The sales woman
forgot to hand me out my M&M and I had to ak to get it. Sh*t happens

As I wrote before, you should try to find a fair solution - even if it was not your fault.
You should not pay extra but also shouldn't benefit "too much" by this fault.

Don't
know how you financed your car (an systems are surely differnt in
Germany and UK) but you should NOT ONLY contact your dealer but also
contact the "financer". He has to know about the problem a.s.a.p. ...
If
you finance a car you do not have (BMT) it might be his problem too and
he might have an interest for one of your options (and maybe support
you "against" the dealer).
Insurance is different in our countries too - but I would also contact them ...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Some good points. Is your dealer in contact with finance and the insurance or are they expecting you to do it? As its all in house vw it should be easy for them as theyd know the person on the other end by name.

I do think theres a big difference between not being handed your m+m and being given the wrong car though?!!! Lol
Your so excited on the day its easily done. The car i test drove was non bmt so i never knew about badge until i got my car. All i checked was i got the reg i picked which in the op case would also have been correct.

Very interested how this plays out.

The other thing to consider is , is someone else driving the car you ordered and they have also been given the wrong car!!! As they got higher spec i suspect theyd keep quiet lol

1 - 20 of 130 Posts