Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats up said:
Excellent review. Are you a professional journalist? If you're not, you should be...

Thank you for the compliment, and no I'm not a professional. I did however used to write freelance and for a few years was the motorcycle correspondent to "The Scotsman" newspaper. More recently I have dabbled with a few magazine articles about cars, and I still like to write just for the **** of it. I have cobbled together some of my stuff on a wee personal website, you are welcome to have a browsehttp://www.arthurlea.com/storyindex.htm

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
I like your CRX write up. I've not driven one but have driven an Integra around Silverstone
and had an Accord Type R for a while. Beautifully engineered, very different to any German car. Despite its raucous Vtec nature it had far more finesse. But not the easiest car to live with on a daily basis. It needed to "driven" before it came alive.
Just wish I'd kept it, it was immaculate and unmolested when I sold it for pennies!Edited by: Ed463
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah Honda ... how I miss them! We had a string of about 14 Hondas back in the 80's (CRX's, Civics, Preludes) and they were fantastic cars. Then somewhere in the 90's Honda deliberately abandoned their engineering led cars in favour of simpler cars chasing market share, and now they make some of dullest and ugliest cars imaginable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
John H said:
Ah Honda ... how I miss them! We had a string of about 14 Hondas back in the 80's (CRX's, Civics, Preludes) and they were fantastic cars. Then somewhere in the 90's Honda deliberately abandoned their engineering led cars in favour of simpler cars chasing market share, and now they make some of dullest and ugliest cars imaginable. 
True I'm afraid. The Civic Type R maybe fast but looks like a 19yr old has gone mad with a demon tweaks catalogue.
Saab ended up the same (for different reasons), I had a 99, amazing car when you think the Brits were still churning out Morris Marina's

We've all been "assimilated"
Edited by: Ed463
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Porsche are in danger of going the same way, abandoning sports cars to make big profits from selling over the top SUV's. But who can blame them, they've got to make what sells, and traditional sports cars are a minority market these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
I know we're well and truly off topic now, but what the ****.
I'm sure there's big bucks to be made from flogging thousands of re engineered Audi Q7's but I'm baffled by the trend for ever bigger suv's (and I've got a G Wagen :) ) completely useless/unnecessary ego things on UK roads. I struggle fitting the UP into some parking slots. Maybe I need to start using two? :) They can't even deal with a bit if damp grass off road. Rant over:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
A nice review of the GTi - thanks for posting it. I'm very tempted to go and have a test drive myself now, just to satisfy my own curiosity. I will have to leave all credit, debit cards and cash at home so there is no possibility I can put a deposit down on one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
luckyjimmy said:
A nice review of the GTi - thanks for posting it. I'm very tempted to go and have a test drive myself now, just to satisfy my own curiosity. I will have to leave all credit, debit cards and cash at home so there is no possibility I can put a deposit down on one!

Wise. It's an infectious little varmint!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Nice review, bud. Looks good in black. I am a bit torn on colour at the moment! I'll keep playing on the configurator.

Jonesy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
I enjoyed reading that John. Perhaps we should all meet up once we take delivery north of the border and organise a photo shoot or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marty84 said:
I enjoyed reading that John. Perhaps we should all meet up once we take delivery north of the border and organise a photo shoot or something.

That sounds like a plan!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
John H said:

Great write up John.

Certainly echos my own thoughts and feelings on the Up GTI, which reassures me I made the right decision and that I haven't just subconsciously twisted the facts to fit my own narrative.

I was looking at a Golf GTI but the little Up actually suits my needs just fine and gives twice the fun at half the cost.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top