Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

You have might seen posts from me in different departments telling how good the Up is and in other posts about my problems. Thought I'll compile and summarise my whole experience with the Up so far and what has personally happened to me. Seems to me I am quite unlucky.

It all started in April when I went to the dealers just because I was curious to see what Volkswagen offered nowadays. Needles to say I fell in love with the Up right at the first time when sitting in it, and even more so after taking it for a test drive. It only took up to the next day to make the decision to change my Bora over to a new Up, mostly because my calculations showed that everything from servicing, taxes, MPG to insurance made this new little one cost less per year with a PCP than keeping the Bora would.

My order included a Move Up in black with 60 BHP BMT, sensor pack, sound pack and spare wheel.
The next day after making the order, I decided that I would actually really like to have the Maps & More so i went and an additional order were made on top.

Then the wait started. I kept good contact with the dealer who were really helpful and the build week went back and forth a couple of times until it got confirmed. On 1st of August I heard from VW customer service that the car had arrived to dealership that day. I thought I would bounce over to have a look at it. When I saw the car waiting there with all the plastics and transport protectors, needles to say I got very excited. But having a look inside, something catched my eye. There was no Maps & More...

I went and spoke with the dealer who confirmed that the extra order made at the start had not gone through to the factory and it was completely missing it. He also said that they would be ordering a new car for me immediately with the correct spec and I would get to drive that one until the next one arrives. After a bit of pushing I also got them to throw the winter pack for free to the next order. With mixed emotions I started driving with the Up that had arrived, loving the drive but thinking that "this is still not my Up".

After around 1600 miles when one misty morning I started the car and was turning away from the parking spot, the steering suddenly felt really heavy. Going on the motorway it had suddenly brought a new feature, steering pulling to the left.

I contacted the dealer who said they would only have time to look at it in around 3 weeks time of that date. Advised me to have RAC come around and have a look at it. They did, found the car pulling to the left but to check the computers they had to call in a special Volkswagen equipped RAC van. That came the next day, found nothing wrong in the systems but was pulling to the left. At that point the car was taken to the dealers and i was given a rental car. (RAC pays for 48 hours rental car if your car is deemed faulty by them and taken to the dealers/closest repairshop). Behold, suddenly the 3 weeks wait from dealers went down to 1 day and a mechanic stated that no fault found. Oh and not to forget, the windscreen cracked on the rental golf after the first 5 miles (!), needed to drive it back to Europcar to get another golf. Interesting point: Rental companies are only allowed to offer you Volkswagen vehicles when covered by VW RAC. They were not even allowed to give me a VAG Group Seat they had there

Well after this first incident I kept driving the Up that had its steering pulling and at the same time I was getting information, tracker numbers etc for the next Up.

Then finally came the day at the end of September that my car had arrived, with the correct spec and all! I took the old Up back and got my new one with a big pile of apologies. They got scared of the possible customer reviews most likely.

Everything was great, happy me driving with the new Up that had everything I wanted. Working perfectly. Then came the day that we drove to London... We got stuck in heavy congestion for around 3 hours. The car didn't struggle at all even though only having 700 miles on the clock but the clutch started giving this kind of a rubbery sound. It didn't do this before.

I called the dealers, got a time and took it there. While I was waiting inside they took it on a drive and noticed something wrong. They pinpointed it out to be the clutch master cylinder. The fun part was that it was in backlog order and it took 5 days for them to get the part. At this point I was driving with a new Beetle as courtesy car. After a week of them having the car there I got a call saying that it was ready. I picked it up on my lunch break, drove it to work and the same **** clicking sound kept coming! On top of this I noticed they had scratched the paintwork in a corner.
Being furious I called them and took the car back after work. Had the mechanic come WITH me for a drive where I explained what was wrong. He agreed with me and that it was NOT the master cylinder in the engine bay but the actual clutch pedal itself. So the master cylinder was just a manufacturing fault they had now stumbled on. Mechanic called VW to see what to do, they told him to change the clutch pedal. This was then ordered and i kept driving my Up with the clicking sound. They also promised to fix the paintwork and were really sorry about this.

Yesterday I took the car in for the repainting and clutch change, only to get a call today stating that while they were changing the pedal, something else got broken in the clutch (master cylinder stretched or something I don't know). Anyways needles to say they have now broken the car again and yet AGAIN the new part is on backorder so my car needs to stay there up until next week most likely.

I've soon had courtesy cars for more days then my actual Up. I've driven now 7 different Volkswagens since August (including my old Bora). I've taken it quite relaxed this far and blamed it on faults that can come with a new model. But the faults MADE by the dealership are very annoying. I'm seriously thinking of starting a hassle about compensations with this. What do you guys think?

ZillUp

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I love the Up! WHEN IT WORKS

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would look towardscontactingVW customer service and seeing what they can do to help you out. You have been very unlucky on both ordering **** up and then two cars that have had faults occur and both quite serious. I hope once this final repair is complete that will be the end of it and you can get back to enjoying your Up!

·
Registered
619 Posts
You've been very patient ZillUp, more patient than I would have been. I think if anything happens to your car from now on, it would be cause for complaint directly to VW (more so if the issues are caused by technicians at your dealership).

PS It is always worth keeping a 'diary' with details of every issue and defect, including dates, times etc. It may never be needed but rather relying on memory...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Wow I enjoyed reading that, I feel really bad for you : ( at least you now know what vw have to offer lol On the compensation road I'm not sure, I personally wouldn't know where to start I suppose that's why you asked on here I'd of done the same!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts