Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hullo all.

Bought a second hand tungsten silver high up with none of the additions, so in this thread I'll hopefully be keeping a running tab of the things I'll be doing to it to make a fantastic little car even more fantastic.

I apologise about the photos, no good days to take a photo at the moment :(

Anyway, here it is on its first day at home:

Need to remove that sticker come to think of it.

Anyway, as the bank balance is a bit low after buying it, ill list the mods here that I'll be getting to.

Small mods:
Some wind deflectors
Various bulb replacements
Sunshades (seems kind of pointless at the moment, but whatever. I miss having the privacy glass).
Mudflaps
Spoiler

Larger mods:
Replacment of the two awful speakers with a full new set, front and rear. Eager to get this done ASAP as the tinny sound is something I'm not used to having had a BOSE system installed in my Alfa.
Lowering,maybe, yet to decide when and how

----------------

Fitted some wind deflectors (just the normal VW ones). Again, apologies about the photos, seems like there's no good days to take a photo anymore!

Next thing are the sunshades (although if it keeps raining everyday this will seem pointless, ha), bulbs and some mudflaps.Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
That's a really nice Up, they do look fantastic in that configuration with that colour and wheels. Hope you have many happy hours modding and driving it!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
love the deflectors so much I think I'll get some for mine...are there darker smoked ones available?

BTW, tungsten silver is GORGEOUS!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Privatedoc said:
love the deflectors so much I think I'll get some for mine...are there darker smoked ones available?   

BTW, tungsten silver is GORGEOUS!!!
Only ones available at VW it seems are the standard ones listed in the accessories brochure (sorry I'm on a train so can't dig up the code).but to be honest they are pretty grey already. It's probably just the weird light reflecting off the buildings and surrounding cars that gives it an odd shade?

I agree too re: tungsten silver. I never really considered it when I was looking for an up but really glad I went for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
think there are various makes but the clim-air ones seem the best.....ebay around £52...currently looking around for a set

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
<a href="http://youtu.be/RB4mz7-mFtc" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://youtu.be/RB4mz7-mFtc

</a>

going for climair ones... £38 delivered by amazon prime....will fit them tomorrow and report back

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supermegamonkee said:
I fancy a set of those too. Can I be cheeky and ask how much they are?

I feel sad now as PrivateDoc and Shakotan both quoted much cheaper ones, but mine were £48 gross from VW. I suppose you pay the premium going direct to them. Should have shopped around :(.

Privatedoc said:
http://youtu.be/RB4mz7-mFtc

going for climair ones... £38 delivered by amazon prime....will fit them tomorrow and report back
Oh noes! They took their Leon through a car wash. Those wind deflectors aren't going to prevent scratches!

Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I reckon as long as you get a decent pair...heko, climair, vw you will be ok, I went with the climair ones coz they were darker tinted than the heko and being tall, I can use the benefit of a tinted bit when the sun is low

sun???? what does that look like

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might be Sunny on Sunday!

I'm going to do a full detail (if it is!) as I can already tell the wax put on by VW is not that great (notice in the images above the water isn't beading at all, and the dirt that has run off from the rear windscreen has begun to stick on the rear bumper).

If it is and I do i'll post a step by step. Shouldn't take as long to do a full one as it did on the Alfa that's for sure! Just the alloys will be a lot, lot harder to clean without taking them off (which I'm not going to do).

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
that reminds me, must do the deep clean on my classic alloys before they go on for the summer...I use poorboys wheel wax after cleaning, makes the white alloys stay white much longer!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did have blackhole for my Alfa, so I'll have to shop online somewhere for a decent polish and wax for the up.

I've heard good things about the wheel wax by PB, may have to invest in some.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Fidel_Castronaut said:
I did have blackhole for my Alfa, so I'll have to shop online somewhere for a decent polish and wax for the up. 

Yeah poor boys is good, but I find Collinite last and lasts. I have the liquid for wheels and the paste for the body work.

I normally use polished bliss, based in Scotland with free delivery.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Supermegamonkee said:
Fidel_Castronaut said:

Yeah poor boys is good, but I find Collinite last and lasts. I have the liquid for wheels and the paste for the body work.

I normally use polished bliss, based in Scotland with free delivery.

Cheers for the heads up. I'll check it out on the train on the way home from work tonight.

Need to work out what's best for Silver paint, although I suspect a normal neutral polish will suffice from a decent brand.

I've been used a mixture of Tech wax and Ultimate liquid wax from megs (or was) for my alfa, and actually preferred the cheaper tech wax. But I've run out of the latter and the former is dangerously low, so may consult polished bliss for some new waxes.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I need a decent tar remover both our white ups are a bit spotty!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Do you know that "Tungsten Silver" is called "Dark Silver" in Germany?!

"Wolfram Silber" (transaltion of Tungsten Silver) would have been such a wonderful name ...

I love the Salsa Red seats!
I have been struggeling for three month now (for a black up!). My brain says no, but my heart cries yes! ...

A beautiful up!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts