Up Owners Club banner
181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Been back into EZMODS.CO for some more development work for his website. Ended up with a bonnet decal, some minimal eyebrows, tinted rear lights, finally put the new VW badges on (with a tint of course) and dechromed the front grill strip. Ran out of time after that but will end up doing something with the foglight surrounds eventually.

I am finally working again after Covid hit so once I financially recover there should be more to come with this car.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Following with interest, I changed my Apr stage 1 Tsi to a brand new white 5 Door Gti this week. Great mods and thread. Any issues forseen with engine life, clutch or gearbox? I had no issues in 4 years of hard use in the Tsi, I personally don't expect much to go wrong when I tune this one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been back into EZMODS.CO for some more development work for his website. Ended up with a bonnet decal, some minimal eyebrows, tinted rear lights, finally put the new VW badges on (with a tint of course) and dechromed the front grill strip. Ran out of time after that but will end up doing something with the foglight surrounds eventually.

I am finally working again after Covid hit so once I financially recover there should be more to come with this car.

View attachment 6618 View attachment 6619
How did you tint the badges? As this is something I would like to do. Also what are you doing to the foglight surrounds?

·
Registered
Up gti
150 Posts
Following with interest, I changed my Apr stage 1 Tsi to a brand new white 5 Door Gti this week. Great mods and thread. Any issues forseen with engine life, clutch or gearbox? I had no issues in 4 years of hard use in the Tsi, I personally don't expect much to go wrong when I tune this one.
What mods with apr tune? Turbo elbow? What up did you get as I’m looking to get same one done next week? Thanks!

·
Registered
868 Posts
We have the racingline turbo elbow and and their panel filter I recommend it prior to the APR map as a package we were blown away by the difference! We didn't put ours on a Dyno but they do some live logs and check it's making power and fueling properly.

I've seen someone with the same who got 155bhp on a Dyno and over 190 ft lbs of torque

·
Registered
Up gti
150 Posts
We have the racingline turbo elbow and and their panel filter I recommend it prior to the APR map as a package we were blown away by the difference! We didn't put ours on a Dyno but they do some live logs and check it's making power and fueling properly.

I've seen someone with the same who got 155bhp on a Dyno and over 190 ft lbs of torque
Any issues with apr remap, seen someone on here with a tsi saying they got it back to stick as engine light was on etc, has yours been running like a clock ;0 Thanks mate, so tempted but when I seen people moan in the apr threat about blowing gearbox (only take 200nm) it out me off :/

·
Registered
Up GTI
52 Posts
This 200nm max torque limit for the gearbox, is bs.
200nm is the stock max torque and they never release a car at its limits.
There are many gti's that have over 200nm ,up to 270nm or about 200lbft torque the only problem is clutch wear if it does track days or car gets abused .

·
Registered
868 Posts
Car has been faultless since the map and I read that same thread and nearly didn't go APR very glad we did they are a massive company and probably test more than some manufacturers with additional sensors they use. Some very in depth videos about the testing online

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
What mods with apr tune? Turbo elbow? What up did you get as I’m looking to get same one done next week? Thanks!
Just the map on mine, dyno'd standard at 91.3 HP and 122.7 ft-lbs. After the map 143.8 HP and 202.3 ft-lbs. It did have a flat spot above legal limits but the tuner couldn't test that obviously so I just lived with it. I miss the sleeper aspect of that car, no one even looked at it 🤣

·
Registered
Up gti
150 Posts
Thanks everyone, I have yet to hear of a mapped car that has shat out the gearbox or clutch, therefore, I can’t understand the hate. Think I will get the map then add elbow bit later, take it the gains I would have seen at the time will come when these are added, ie the couple of horses. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
868 Posts
For me personally I wanted the breathing modifications prior to the 98 RON remap then they can take advantage of the extra air and make sure the air to fuel ratio is correct although ECU's are very clever and can adjust accordingly... It made more sense to do it that way round to me

·
Registered
Up gti
150 Posts
For me personally I wanted the breathing modifications prior to the 98 RON remap then they can take advantage of the extra air and make sure the air to fuel ratio is correct although ECU's are very clever and can adjust accordingly... It made more sense to do it that way round to me
Thanks mate, appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
There is a sudden torque load that can be catastrophic on any given gearbox, but it's higher than the figures that the manufacturer publishes, but don't forget all drivetrain wear is related to average torque over a period of time....

Reactions: Emmetd

·
Registered
196 Posts
Any issues with apr remap, seen someone on here with a tsi saying they got it back to stick as engine light was on etc, has yours been running like a clock ;0 Thanks mate, so tempted but when I seen people moan in the apr threat about blowing gearbox (only take 200nm) it out me off :/
I asked Racingline about the gearbox "issue" on Instagram a while back, their reply is below.

Also, from my reply to them it looks like I did some more research and came to the conclusion the GTI uses the 02M gearbox which is rated to 350nm.
IIRC I came to this conclusion by zooming in on part numbers on eBay listings for gear boxes/clutches 😂 so maybe take that with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
Up gti
150 Posts
I asked Racingline about the gearbox "issue" on Instagram a while back, their reply is below.

View attachment 6886

Also, from my reply to them it looks like I did some more research and came to the conclusion the GTI uses the 02M gearbox which is rated to 350nm.
IIRC I came to this conclusion by zooming in on part numbers on eBay listings for gear boxes/clutches 😂 so maybe take that with a pinch of salt.
Thanks for this lads, think I will just go ahead and get the apr map, there is a great shop local that does the racingline one also but everyone states the man is a ,”tool,” to deal with. The apr shop also gets great reviews.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am very close to going for a map now, having had the car for a year. I don’t want to mess with any of the car’s geometry, just add more power (and probably fit a traction control kill switch).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Thought I should add an update of how we look now, have been fiddling with ride height over the past few months and think i am at a good place. Also have added some reflective pinstriping and some other decals from ezmods.co as you will see in the pictures. Tyres are due a change and as I already have 2 Pilot Sport 4 for the rear will be fitting them as well as some Pilot Sport 5 on the front.

Bring on the shows this year!

Vehicle Car White Automotive lighting Hood
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Cloud Sky

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Boat White Motor vehicle Light Automotive design

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

181 - 200 of 211 Posts