What's the adjustment like on the coilovers. All of them seem to be 45mm max
Could yours go lower or is it nearly maxed out. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
What's the adjustment like on the coilovers. All of them seem to be 45mm max
Could yours go lower or is it nearly maxed out. Thanks in advance
Oh no my ride height is pretty conservative! Could go much lower but I often kart 3 other people about and have lots of speed humps around! Most good coilovers will drop pretty low. You might be thinking of lowered springs only?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Couple of pics from the Surrey VAG owners club meet at The Star Chessington on Sunday. Great relaxed meet. Lots of VERY nice Golfs but they all wanted to see the big 1ltr. Must clean under bonnet next time but was NOT expecting people would want to see it. LOLOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Definitely coilovers I've been looking at the lowering specs say 25-45mm. That's why I was asking how much more adjustment was available. https://www.kwsuspensions.co.uk/shop/VW_UP__121__122__BL1__BL2__08_2011-_121__122__BL1__BL2_1.0_GTI_Petrol_85KW_999ccm_uW4mfu80DLCNdIYtZMky1Q../56/Street_Performance

Oh ok! I could definitely get much lower than in the pics! Not sure how much its actually been lowered from standard but it had a heck of a gap before. Next time I jack it up I will take a pic of the thread

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
One of these on the way. Match DSP which will be plug and play with the factory stereo, will give me a bit more oomph and should improve the sound even through the stock speakers and will let me connect the sub. Can look at some sound deadening and replacements for stock speakers in due course.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So, turns out it was a really long day yesterday, left at 6am and didn't get home again till 9pm. I was absolutely shattered and didn't really get to drive the car properly on the way home. Today was different. So here are my initial impressions.

So the reason I went to JBS was two fold, one was to get their new traction control switch installed so the car can actually be driven properly and the second was to finally get the Milltek Sport Cat downpipe and Stage 2 remap done finally :)

So I have the Road + exhaust, and the first thing I can tell you is that the car is now loud. Very loud! I was wondering if I had made the right decision on the way home for 3 hours on the motorway as you cannot get away from it! It's not really droney, just very loud due to the lack of sound insulation in the car. Luckily this is my weekend toy and I will rarely do trips like that.

But to drive it, it is again transformed. The numbers don't look that impressive at first glance, but on the stock turbo JBS are happy they have pushed it as far as it will go. I made a little less torque than the JBS car owned by James as I do not currently have the Forge intake or dump valve but those are now back on the list as future mods, and the extra noise I was previously avoiding is now pretty much irrelevant due to the exhaust lol.

So the JBS car made 151.2 bhp peak, with 209ft lbs of torque, whilst mine made 151.6 bhp with 197ft lbs of torque, so we can assume that the intake and dump valve combined can give another 12ft lbs and do make a significant difference at this level of tune. If I get them fitted i will head back to go on the dyno again at some point to see if this is the case. Although this seems like a small gain of only 7bhp at peak, there is max bhp increase of 22bhp and 27ftlb of torque on my car at 3000 rpm, which equals a lot of extra shove. (The JBS car makes an extra 39ftlb!!) so I think the extra mods are now a no brainer when funds allow.

The car now pulls really really strongly from low revs all the way through, and you can always apply the power with the TCS off, it will happily spin the wheels in first 3 gears if you let it. James thinks with the right conditions a sub 6 second 0-60 is possible and has already done a 6.2 in his according to Dragy with 1ft rollout applied. The car also pulls harder at higher revs, and at motorway speeds accelerated much faster than before when i put my foot down.

The pops and bangs with the Road + are seriously loud, much sharper and more defined than on the JBS car which has a fully resonated centre section but for the giggles are amazing. It is nice to know that if it gets TOO much then I can swap for the Resonated section to dull everything down a little, but for the moment it is what it is, and I did enjoy it today. I can guarantee though that if I had to use the car for a lot of long trips i would probably not go down this route...

So to summarise, at Stage 1 the car was really fun, very quick and refined but I could feel places in the rev range where the car ran out of breath and stopped pulling, that has completely gone with Stage 2 and along with the TCS mod the car is now a complete hoot to drive. Just be prepared to have a loud car!

I will report back more once I have driven the car some more, but not had too much time today what with the demands of children etc etc :) Will post a little video of the car coming off the dyno for a road test but it really does not show the level of noise it now actually makes lolol.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sounds very good I would think for a daily driver maybe the catted downpipe and the standard exhaust with a remap and traction control switch could be the sweet spot 👍

·
Registered
39 Posts
loving the sound of it, thanks for taking the time to chat about it with me on facebook too by the way.

I've just been pouring over vids on all options on Youtube and I think it's gonna be road+ for me too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
loving the sound of it, thanks for taking the time to chat about it with me on facebook too by the way.

I've just been pouring over vids on all options on Youtube and I think it's gonna be road+ for me too.
I will get some more vids tomorrow from inside and outside if weather permits tomorrow and I can find a willing photographer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Yep its £235. Proper TCS button that lights up installed next to tyre pressure reset button in front of gear stick. When pressed you get an Activated or Deactivated message on the dashboard screen and the warning light illuminates. Its great

61 - 80 of 94 Posts