Up Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Sounds like a great addition to the car and well done to JBS!
The great thing about JBS is that the owner James has their UP as his own, and absolutely loves it. So lots of more to come with their one. Not sure I can keep up with it for much longer lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Danbo. Thanks for sharing your project, and very nice motor! You have remarkably similar taste to me, as I too have a white GTI and have either already bought, or been thinking about, pretty much all the same mods as you! I've only just signed up to this site, so excuse several questions at once, but I'm catching up!

I bought exactly the same splitter and diffuser, probably before you did, about a year ago, but haven't got around to putting them on yet because of ill health. I was wondering, did you bother spraying the diffuser at all? Also, did you have to drill to bolt these (and the skirts)? I haven't even really had them out of the box yet!

Like the tyre upgrade. Did you fit spacers at all? I can't believe they're needed and this might seem a silly question, but seems like many on here have done so.

I see early in your story that you bought a Forge BOV. Did you ever get around to fitting it? I'd been considering one, but looking at the instructions on their website (not great I have to say) I wasn't sure if you'd be able to fit the hose (opposite end to the one that connects to the valve) without having to take more off then engine than I really wanted to. Just wondered if you had any feedback on this? Also, the standard air intake seems to be integrated into the standard boost pipe, so I'm guessing you just leave the air intake as a stumpy little entry.

Anyway, great post - and thanks already as one thing I didn't have was the door catch covers which I've just ordered :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
How are you getting on with the stage 2 did JBS say anything about the clutch with all the new found
How are you getting on with the stage 2 did JBS say anything about the clutch with all the new found torque?
Loving it. It's an absolute blast! JBS did not foresee any clutch issues and all is good still with both mine and their car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
@Chris G

Hi Danbo. Thanks for sharing your project, and very nice motor! You have remarkably similar taste to me, as I too have a white GTI and have either already bought, or been thinking about, pretty much all the same mods as you! I've only just signed up to this site, so excuse several questions at once, but I'm catching up!

I bought exactly the same splitter and diffuser, probably before you did, about a year ago, but haven't got around to putting them on yet because of ill health. I was wondering, did you bother spraying the diffuser at all? Also, did you have to drill to bolt these (and the skirts)? I haven't even really had them out of the box yet!

Like the tyre upgrade. Did you fit spacers at all?

I see early in your story that you bought a Forge BOV. Did you ever get around to fitting it?
Thanks Chris,

I have not sprayed any of the bodykit parts, they look great unpainted. I had my mechanic fit everything for me but know he did use the supplied screws (and a few additional) to fit all of the kit.

Tyres need no spacers, but with the skirts on it has visually pulled the wheels further into the arches, so will be spacing the wheels out as soon as I get time to sort it.

Typically I was not going to fit the dump valve as I did not really want the noise when the car was quieter so I sold it, but since the downpipe was fitted the car is so noisy that I wish I had kept it. As an induction kit and the DV will more than likely offer a performance benefit now with the other mods they are back on the modification list to do.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Would you consider a twin tailpipe?
Would you're new rear defuser work with where a twin tailpipe would sit once cut for it, or would any cut mess up its structural or aesthetical integrity?
Cheers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Would you consider a twin tailpipe?
Would you're new rear defuser work with where a twin tailpipe would sit once cut for it, or would any cut mess up its structural or aesthetical integrity?
Cheers.
I would love a twin Milltek tailpipe. You could make the diffuser work quite easily, would just need cutting and re securing with some spacers and new screws. The rest of whatever mods would have to be done on the underside of the car I wouldnt have a clue with. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would love a twin Milltek tailpipe. You could make the diffuser work quite easily, would just need cutting and re securing with some spacers and new screws. The rest of whatever mods would have to be done on the underside of the car I wouldnt have a clue with. :)
Good thing about already fitting a twin tailpipe is I got £50 back through Ebay on the single tailpipe that came with the Milltek catback nonres ive fitted. The twin tailpipe is top quality from the states and feels a bit special probably being the only Up GTI anywhere with a twin tailpipe, its the only thing I couldn't abide with the Up GTI and had to sort.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Give you an idea of what it looks like though pics aren't the best, first post pics are the cheapo flush tailpipe from Fleabay that looked good enough as I had it lying around anyway. last post pics is the staggered Flowmaster tailpipe I got from the states and fitted to the Milltek system.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts