Up Owners Club banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Looked very quick for a little car Dan! Could hear the tyres rubbing at points and it was interesting for him to say it's a bit diesel like because the stage 2 graph looks a bit that way obviously the turbo is holding stage 2 back massively and the reason peak power isn't much over stage 1... Stage one seems a bit more petrol like in its power delivery and that's not meant as a insult just an observation stage 2 seems like you will ride the torque and short shift
Yeah still experimenting with the ride height, so they wont rub for long. Stage 2 just adds power all the way through the range from Stage 1. Just has a very strong mid range pull as well now. Where it used to run out of puff at just over 4k revs it now pulls hard all the way to 6k.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm thinking of trying some Vogtland springs on ours hopefully it won't rub...

Running 205 tyres on the standard wheels with 7.5 mm spacers front and 12 mm rear.

They lower 25mm's over standard.

Keep up with the good work on your car ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent thread. Looks like great. Love the mods and especially the sound. Have you considered rear disc brake conversion. Not strictly necessary but gives a more purposeful side view.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Excellent thread. Looks like great. Love the mods and especially the sound. Have you considered rear disc brake conversion. Not strictly necessary but gives a more purposeful side view.
Yes am looking at rear disks. JBS are looking at options. Probably a quite expensive mod tho

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Had the car booked in for some front speakers, a DSP and the sub to be wired in along with a load of sound deadening. Obv delayed due to Covid. Now with the current situation not sure if I can go ahead... Pay cut already and who knows who will have jobs in a few weeks :(. might have to lose the deposit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Nothing partiularly exciting to update on. Awaiting some dynamic side indicators to arrive in a couple of weeks from Shakotan but thats it for now.

Thought I would give an update on the exhaust change from Road+ to resonated in the meantime.

So driving back from JBS I was a little worried that I was going to miss the volume, but as it turns out I really do agree with James from JBS that the resonated pipe with the downpipes is the right way to go for most people. The car idles pretty quietly to be honest now and really not that much louder than it was with the Road+ and no downpipes, but once on the move it has a proper grown up growl as you can hear a bit of in the Sid North Video on YouTube. Very little drone if at all and only at some very specific revs (most of the in car noise is due to lack of sound insulation) and suits the car perfectly now.

Definitely the right move for me even though it cost me more money to experiment but I would have always wondered how it would have sounded with the Road+. I love the sound now but if you are looking for a non resonated growl then it will be a little subdued for you.

Still have the Road+ section in the shed if anyone wants to upgrade from a resonated Milltek.

The Stage 2 map is still going strong. No regrets there either. Car is fast and a **** of a lot of fun. Have done 5k miles now in total.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 4745 View attachment 4746

Tinted lights, fogs, GTi badges and sunstrip
Love the tints , can you shed any info on them? were they a light or medium tint? were they custom ones from the site you listed?
were they easy to install? did you need a heat gun or any special tools? did you have to remove anything to do the fog light ones?
I fancy doing this to mine as I have the time to do it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Love the tints , can you shed any info on them? were they a light or medium tint? were they custom ones from the site you listed?
were they easy to install? did you need a heat gun or any special tools? did you have to remove anything to do the fog light ones?
I fancy doing this to mine as I have the time to do it!
Tints were the lightest shade of 3 options that ezmods.co do. I'm local to him so went to his place and he fitted all the decals and tints. He did the fogs on the car but removed the rear reflectors to tint them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Started raining a bit, opening windows let rain into car, so got some Heko wind deflectors.

Problem solved!

How has your experience been with your wind deflectors? I've heard Heko deflector clips can be a pain and potentially scratch the top of the glass on your door and may also damage the lining of the window frame.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
How has your experience been with your wind deflectors? I've heard Heko deflector clips can be a pain and potentially scratch the top of the glass on your door and may also damage the lining of the window frame.
I didnt need to use the clips, they stay in just fine without. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
So if you lower your car and its either spaced out or wheel offset is different to standard, you might have this problem too. As I mentioned previously the rubbing from the car being lowered was driving me insane, and today got hold of a trolley jack to get under the arches and see what was what.

The little plastic spat things under the arches (only held on with one bolt) actually stick out a few mm and my tyres were rubbing really badly on them. One had worn almost through and fell apart as I took it off. Rubbing seems reduced a lot but not tested properly yet to see by how much, I know it wont have solved it but hopefully at least 50 percent better then i might only have to lift it 5mm or so.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Next thing to do is upgrade the brakes a little. Tarox Corsa pads and some braided brake lines. Will also get round to painting the rear drums.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Update on rubbing. Drove 90 odd miles this morning with a pair of 911 turbos on country roads of varying quality. Rubbing reduced by about 95 percent due to the removal of those bits of plastic. Can deal with the very occasional rub on the arch so very happy. with how things are now.

Also more than happy with how the car kept up on real world normal roads with those two cars. Both Porsche drivers we astounded at how I managed to keep up and make the same overtakes etc etc over the course of the drive. (plenty of unreleasable video as proof lol)

I know my car is not anywhere near standard but its still a new car under 18k which costs nothing to run day to day compared to anything else and it is hella fun to drive and can keep up with 2 Porsche turbos for 2 hours on normal roads.

What the **** is not to like?... I fucking love it,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your car looks better every time I see it danbo, I saw the YouTube video which was wicked too, I have recently been given a work van so loaned my up to my colleague who was still waiting for his van, he has a golf R and didnt want to give the little up gti back, his R is a 64 plate worth around 16k and he hasnt stopped messaging me about ones hes seen and wants to buy, another convert and forum member very soon. Mine has done less than 100 miles in 3 months so when this current situation finally concludes we should arrange abit of a meet somewhere

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Your car looks better every time I see it danbo, I saw the YouTube video which was wicked too, I have recently been given a work van so loaned my up to my colleague who was still waiting for his van, he has a golf R and didnt want to give the little up gti back, his R is a 64 plate worth around 16k and he hasnt stopped messaging me about ones hes seen and wants to buy, another convert and forum member very soon. Mine has done less than 100 miles in 3 months so when this current situation finally concludes we should arrange abit of a meet somewhere
Definitely up for arranging a Southern meet when we can!

121 - 140 of 157 Posts