Up Owners Club banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Excellent mod. Is this the real carbon mirror covers or the Carbon fibre effect mirror covers? Because there is a significant price difference. I assume you have to remove the old covers to fit the new ones?
They are the real ones. Defo worth it for how they look up close.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just came across this thread for the first time. Loved reading it. Very interested in all the toys JBS can add so Googled them. It turns out they are about a 25 min drive from me. Who knew!?!? Might have to pay them a visit...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Just a quick update, not much has gone on this lockdown but car now currently on about 12k miles. Had the car in to investigate a hestitation under load on accelleration, turned out to be a faulty MAP sensor which now replaced has returned the car to glory.

My centre piece of my Milltek exhaust had started rattling so Milltek sent me a new one and had that fitted too.

Also had the Powerflex torque mount insert inserted. Lots of additional NVH and possibly too much for me despite a perceived taughtness in gearchange.

Have to go back to garage to get exhaust lined up properly so think I will be removing the mount and trying the car without to see if it was worth the extra vibration. If it was just a weekend car would keep it on but as its a daily doing quite a few miles I really notice the extra noise and vibration.

Will update further at some point.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A lesson I learnt many years ago. Only fit poly bushes to places that the bushes don't contact directly with the chassis.

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yup. They will ultimately cause resonance in the body. They are intended for remote parts that move/flex/rotate against each other...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Lovely, but the car would be sleeker without the plastic "draught excluders" on the windows. Makes me think of an old guy with a pipe and string gloves!

·
Registered
Up GTI
23 Posts
Super impressed with your build. Will probably follow the hybrid route after stg2.

I am a bit worried with the chargecooler performance with a hybrid turbo installed.
How are the intake temps so far?

Stock chargecooler cant be removed since its integrated in the intake manifold, adding an intercooler will add significant lag.
One possible solution is replacing the radiator for the chargecooler with something better (?)

·
Registered
961 Posts
If this is a way of saying that if turbo boost is increased, then you may need more charge cooling, it totally stands to reason...

Compress air more-> air gains heats more -> hot air includes less oxygen as the pressure increases more than the mass (which counts, chemically) -> less oxygen mass=smaller bang..... Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.

In the end, the cooler/more dense the air getting into the cylinders, the more power, or at least, better efficiency...

·
Registered
Up GTI
23 Posts
More importantly colder air lowers the temp of the combustion chamber.
Low temp means low chance of pre ignition - knock.

As far as i know, only Airtec is interested to take a look at our cooling system but it will be for a couple of months before they have anything.
If the community shows more interest, companies will come up with solutions.
Its not for the GTI only, all the 1.0 tsi cars (ibiza,golf,polo,fabia etc) have the same chargecooling system.

·
Registered
480 Posts
From what I've read most of the heat issues are from the standard downpipe and the petrol particulate filter.... Stage 2 and above they always put a miltek downpipe but it ends up being way too loud for me personally you can have a downpipe that connects to the standard exhaust but nobody has done this so far 😭 I reckon it would be much more tolerable for us pensioners 🙈

·
Registered
961 Posts
"most of the heat issues are from the standard downpipe and the petrol particulate filter "....

Does this mean you get under-bonnet heat that causes problems like fuel evaporation or even melting plastic or wiring parts? Does the GPF maybe overheat? Otherwise I am not sure what the downpipe heat has to do with combustion or performance....

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't have any issues at all but when some have pushed them too hard mapping wise the ECU with its various sensors will cut power when temperatures get to a certain level... Thats why stage 2 cars can produce so much more torque and a downpipe would be essential if going for a hybrid turbo

·
Registered
961 Posts
Fair enough - stands to reason the cat & GPF might need uprating with extra exhaust gas flow, and thus more heat. Maybe the water pump and rad too, given the manifold is integrated into the head, which is going to get hotter than with a traditional manifold?

I would have thought the ECU would maybe have some tweaks to allow for or compensate for varying sensor readings perhaps...

All points at keeping tuning modest unless one wants to spend a lot!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Super impressed with your build. Will probably follow the hybrid route after stg2.

I am a bit worried with the chargecooler performance with a hybrid turbo installed.
How are the intake temps so far?

Stock chargecooler cant be removed since its integrated in the intake manifold, adding an intercooler will add significant lag.
One possible solution is replacing the radiator for the chargecooler with something better (?)
JBS could probably tell you more about what the intake temps get to, but in real world the car has been absolutely fine and certainly does not seem to get too hot. I have done nearly 14k miles now with no problems other than a faulty MAP sensor at the end of last year but since replaced it has been faultless.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts