Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

So I've had my 2016 Move Up for about three months, love the wee thing. But I've noticed recently that when I'm reversing, the car 'sings'. It's not outright squeaking or squealing, it sounds more like someone maybe rubbing their finger around the top of a wine glass. It's practically pleasant as far as mysterious car noises can go. It's a consistent noise that starts when I reverse and brake a bit at the same time, stops when I stop moving, and I've never heard it while moving forwards.

Any theories?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey!

So I've had my 2016 Move Up for about three months, love the wee thing. But I've noticed recently that when I'm reversing, the car 'sings'. It's not outright squeaking or squealing, it sounds more like someone maybe rubbing their finger around the top of a wine glass. It's practically pleasant as far as mysterious car noises can go. It's a consistent noise that starts when I reverse and brake a bit at the same time, stops when I stop moving, and I've never heard it while moving forwards.

Any theories?
its probably the straight cut reverse in the gear box, quite normal.

here is a video what is sounds like when all forward gears are changed from helical cut gears to straight cut

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Everyone knows what reverse gear sounds like.

More likely its the rear drum brake shoes slightly sticking on. The profile on the shoes will wear down slightly in one rotational direction, due to most being applied when the vehicle is travelling forwards, therefore if the mechanism is a little sticky, the trailing edge of the shoes is now slightly in contact with the inner surface of the drum, and becomes the leading edge when in reverse, hence the small vibration which causes the high pitched noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts