Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My 2012 navigon 70/71 no longer charges when in the cradle /mounting.It charges ok via the usb but runs down when on the car.
Is this a fault with the mounting or possibly the wiring harness ?
Anybody had this fault?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the unit is able to charge by other means then it does suggest that the problem is with the power supply in/through the mount, not the unit itself.
  • If you have access to a multimeter, try removing the cradle and doing a continuity test on it, as you can easily reach both ends of it. Also check if any pins have bent in the connectors at either end, or if a connector is loose. Although there are no moving (electrical) parts in the cradle, if it's been taken off and on repeatedly over 7+ years, connectors will eventually get damaged.
  • Two screws hold the mounting plate into the dash. Remove these and gently pull the plate out of the dash. Check the cable connection on the underside for damage.
  • Normally the next stop is checking the fuse for that circuit, but as it's powered from the radio, if the radio is working you know that end is ok. If the radio isn't ok, the fuse is SD3 in the box inside the dash (see Fuse Box Diagram > Volkswagen Up! (2011-2017)).
  • Final stop is to pull out the radio and relevant bits of panelling to access the harness and see if it is damaged. Useful video on removing the radio here:
  • If it is this wiring harness, the part number is either 1S0 035 935 (up to 12.02.2012) or 1S0 035 935 A (up to 22.05.2015).
Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the unit is able to charge by other means then it does suggest that the problem is with the power supply in/through the mount, not the unit itself.
  • If you have access to a multimeter, try removing the cradle and doing a continuity test on it, as you can easily reach both ends of it. Also check if any pins have bent in the connectors at either end, or if a connector is loose. Although there are no moving (electrical) parts in the cradle, if it's been taken off and on repeatedly over 7+ years, connectors will eventually get damaged.
  • Two screws hold the mounting plate into the dash. Remove these and gently pull the plate out of the dash. Check the cable connection on the underside for damage.
  • Normally the next stop is checking the fuse for that circuit, but as it's powered from the radio, if the radio is working you know that end is ok. If the radio isn't ok, the fuse is SD3 in the box inside the dash (see Fuse Box Diagram > Volkswagen Up! (2011-2017)).
  • Final stop is to pull out the radio and relevant bits of panelling to access the harness and see if it is damaged. Useful video on removing the radio here:
  • If it is this wiring harness, the part number is either 1S0 035 935 (up to 12.02.2012) or 1S0 035 935 A (up to 22.05.2015).
Let us know how you get on!
Hi Thanks for your advice .I've tested the mounting and all input to outputs test Ok. I am loathe to mess with the wiring harness as experience has told me in my
BT days that you put more faults on than you find and as the radio work the fuse should be ok. I've come up with the solution of charging the satnav via the cigar lighter and the USB port.It seems to charge OK so I'll run it like that for a while and see if the battery holds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the update - at least there's an easy workaround through the 12V socket!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts